PS1/2 PS2 softmod

Gerinych

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Got a problem and I want to find out if someone else had this.
I inserted my original Harvey Birdman game into PS2. Naturally, Free McBoot loads and it flashes its menu because the disk is loaded. It goes to a standard FMCB loading screen, then it writes PlayStation 2, like always, but after some time it throws me back to Free McBoot and it kinda goes in the loop. Strange thing is that when I boot GTA San Andreas like that (another original), it goes through the loading screen, PlayStation 2 screen and shows the game's intro.

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Gerinych said:
Got a problem and I want to find out if someone else had this.
I inserted my original Harvey Birdman game into PS2. Naturally, Free McBoot loads and it flashes its menu because the disk is loaded. It goes to a standard FMCB loading screen, then it writes PlayStation 2, like always, but after some time it throws me back to Free McBoot and it kinda goes in the loop. Strange thing is that when I boot GTA San Andreas like that (another original), it goes through the loading screen, PlayStation 2 screen and shows the game's intro.
For that original just take out the MC.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so.

I got all of the files in my USB stick to show up this time, by some miracle. I renamed the FMCB elf, and used the one from uLE, the BOOT.elf. Well, I tried to run both of them. Blackscreen. Not sure what else to do.

Of note however is that my USB stick is back to FAT formatting. Shall I attempt this once more with FAT32 and the stick as full as possible (since that seemed to work somewhat)? This past time I filled the USB stick to about capacity with MP3s, and they actually showed up this time!

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Doomsday Forte said:
I got all of the files in my USB stick to show up this time, by some miracle. I renamed the FMCB elf, and used the one from uLE, the BOOT.elf. Well, I tried to run both of them. Blackscreen. Not sure what else to do.
Then I have no idea. Maybe your not waiting long enough?

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well...how long should I be waiting in the first place? The USB stick doesn't flash after it blackscreens so I don't think it's doing anything.

I can always use a ballpark answer and try again.

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
playallday said:
Doomsday Forte said:
Well...how long should I be waiting in the first place? The USB stick doesn't flash after it blackscreens so I don't think it's doing anything.
Up to 100 seconds.
....Oh. Oh wow. Okay, I'll give it a whirl again.

Edit: !! The screen didn't black out all the way this time! The USB stick is flashing! :OOO Tried the BOOT.ELF this time. *waits*

And still nothing. It's been about eight minutes now. XD Though, it's different...and given up. Trying the FMCB.elf now!

Blackscreen, and waiting...and nothing. Now I need to figure out how the hell I got it to work (by that I mean not completely blackscreen) last time.

Okay. So using the uLE BOOT.elf causes it to not blackscreen completely, and it to read from the USB drive constantly. I suppose that's progress, but so far, I can't get anything else to work. Soo...hmm...

I'm gonna need to borrow a friend's old PS2 from the sounds of it.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Doomsday Forte said:
playallday said:
Doomsday Forte said:
Up to 100 seconds.
I'm gonna need to borrow a friend's old PS2 from the sounds of it.
Are you going to do the IX (the .iso one) and swap it or something?

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Doomsday Forte said:
Nah, just the regular AR Max setup (with Independence exploit). They say you can't do it on a slim PS2, so....
IX = Independence Exploit.

I did that, but not many do. If you want to see more about it look at my old guide.

Intimidator88

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Few questions.

1st. Ok if i sent you my memory card you would do everything needed on it and all i would have to do then is just burn the games to dvd put in the ps2 and play them?

2nd. How long would it take to send to you,you do everything and get it back? (im in usa btw so idk how much it would cost to ship to canada)

3rd. Would this let me play like downloaded ps2 and ps1 roms if i just burnt them to a dvd like a reg game?

4th. Would this let me play ps1 burnt games?

5th. What kind and how much space should the memory card have cause i got a 8 mb ps2 memory card.

playallday

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Intimidator88 said:
Few questions.

1st. Ok if i sent you my memory card you would do everything needed on it and all i would have to do then is just burn the games to dvd put in the ps2 and play them?

2nd. How long would it take to send to you,you do everything and get it back? (im in usa btw so idk how much it would cost to ship to canada)

3rd. Would this let me play like downloaded ps2 and ps1 roms if i just burnt them to a dvd like a reg game?

4th. Would this let me play ps1 burnt games?

5th. What kind and how much space should the memory card have cause i got a 8 mb ps2 memory card.
1. Yes but you need to patch it first.
2. My guess is 2-6 weeks. Shipping is $4.76US (plus $5US for the way back).
3. You can do it only with PS2 games.
4. No.
5. it takes about 4MB.

Gerinych

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Intimidator88 said:
Is there anyway to play burnt ps1 games on the ps2 or even the ps1 maybe?I got a softmodded xbox but ps1 games dont play too good on it from the ones i tested anyways.
Get either GameShark for PS1 or Breaker Pro. For the PS1 you have to order some kind of a tool similar to the magic switch for PS2 Slim.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the version of the PS2. The v9 or below need a Gameshark Pro, but any other one above that can run PS1 backups by going into the PS2 file browser, putting in an original PS1 game, then using a swap trick to switch out the disc. The slims are much easier especially the fliptops. The newest version (v14) only needs two very minor mods that are not intrusive at all (a piece of straw or small cardboard to hold the disc stopper and a small piece of paper or tissue to block the fliptop sensor).

Backups on the PS1 can be done by using a double swap trick, no need for a Gameshark, though it does make it easier.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
No....you'd have no way to use it.

(expanded my one word answer
biggrin.gif
)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, The Russians are after you lol.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Send me your ip I'll remotely fix it
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 my head needs fixing if I believe you
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it's kinda fun watching it happen tho
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It needs fixing for other things but your pc I can fix
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    over 300+ virus/trojians/worms after scanning, what did I do to deserve this attention lol
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    tho I find it funny when i receive other people's pc/laptops in this state
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    i wont be upgrading unless I cant run the games i want anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Spill water on it good excuse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    @K3Nv2 that's like a valid option if someone else is paying for ya
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Daddy's wallet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ngl hogwarts legacy has good pooping music
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    That's uh-
    That's certainly a Dairy Queen sign lmao
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You should see his help wanted signs
    Ugh, so many sweat-dipwads in Sploon 3 Anarchy mode tonight
    I didn't know this was "Make Octo never finish Fresh Season 2024 Catalog in Splatoon 3" month, good god
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What's the point of "confirming" games you know will get released. Like Nintendo "confirming" a Zelda sequel. "We can't be sure Nintendo is working on a new Zelda game, or if a new Zelda game will ever be released, until they officially confirm it."
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "There is literally no way to know if they will ever release a new Zelda game, it's wild speculation until they officially confirm it."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Black ops was the lesser shitter line in cock a poopoo tbf just a way to let people know it hasn't died or going a different route I guess
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $70 DLC per 6 months is what it turned into
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/R28ZSY2Sc2A?si=H5Lb6PNkzMhAHO_P