PS1/2 PS2 slim question.

Herr_Noobien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have a modded 70002 slim ps2. I noticed that there is a yellow/orange light coming out of the front vent (right next to the IR sensor). Is this a modchip thing or is it normal? I also noticed that it switches off sometimes while I'm playing (but backups continue to run normally).

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't recall any lights showing through the vent on mine when I had one, although it's been a long time since I had it. A lot of chips do have a led of some sort on it, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's that.

The shutting down while playing sounds like a laser protection fix. 70002 is either a v12 or 13. V12 consoles have a fault that can cause the laser to burn out, a few of the fixes that are normally installed with chips on that model, shut the console down as soon as a problem is detected to protect the laser. So if it's a v12, then it's probably that.

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wolffangalchemist said:
cobleman said:
Yes that yellow light is suppose to be there it is not chipped.
You can find it on the old Fat consoles too.
where is it on a phat console?
i've never seen it on my SCPH-50001

I believe there is no LED inside the PS2 slim besides the on/off one. I'm guessing it is a chip, since this light turns off after booting to go in a stealth mode of some kind.

There is a led in some/all fat consoles though. They are a hard drive activity indicator if im not mistaken.

Herr_Noobien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Here is the light in question. The interesting thing is that it only turns off when playing some games. I've been playing Persona 3 FES for about an 2 hours and the light is still on. It turns off after about 20 minutes of Metal Gear Solid 3 (both backups).

2011-04-26001953.jpg

Herr_Noobien

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hmmmmm, so it is a mod chip thing. The question is why does it turn off in some games, but not others?

EDIT: If I hold the power button down for 1 second while turning the console on, backups don't load. If I just tap it and then put in the disc, they run normally. It also plays PSX backups, supports 2 disc games. Does this sound like any particular modchip?

dilav

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This light does look awfully bright. I do not remember any names of PS2 chips that have LEDs however. And I doubt anyone would put a chip near that corner in those models due to space, or any separate led boards for a certain chip.

I'm guessing that light is a laser fix of some sort, since they are installed in that corner. comsoft laser fix has a blue led iirc, although they could of change it. As stated above this laser fix limits current, or turns off the PS2 when it detects a problem. What the LED indicate, I do not know.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E