PS2 slim question.

Discussion in 'Sony PlayStation 1 & 2' started by Herr_Noobien, Apr 24, 2011.

Apr 24, 2011

PS2 slim question. by Herr_Noobien at 5:16 PM (1,853 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Newcomer Herr_Noobien Member

Australia
    I have a modded 70002 slim ps2. I noticed that there is a yellow/orange light coming out of the front vent (right next to the IR sensor). Is this a modchip thing or is it normal? I also noticed that it switches off sometimes while I'm playing (but backups continue to run normally).

2. Armadillo

Member Armadillo GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I don't recall any lights showing through the vent on mine when I had one, although it's been a long time since I had it. A lot of chips do have a led of some sort on it, so it wouldn't surprise me if it's that.

The shutting down while playing sounds like a laser protection fix. 70002 is either a v12 or 13. V12 consoles have a fault that can cause the laser to burn out, a few of the fixes that are normally installed with chips on that model, shut the console down as soon as a problem is detected to protect the laser. So if it's a v12, then it's probably that.

3. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Australia
    Oh I didn't mean that the console shuts down while playing. I meant that the light in the front vent turns off.

4. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Yes that yellow light is suppose to be there it is not chipped.
    You can find it on the old Fat consoles too.

5. wolffangalchemist

Member wolffangalchemist This is bat country!

United States
    where is it on a phat console?
    i've never seen it on my SCPH-50001

6. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I believe there is no LED inside the PS2 slim besides the on/off one. I'm guessing it is a chip, since this light turns off after booting to go in a stealth mode of some kind.

There is a led in some/all fat consoles though. They are a hard drive activity indicator if im not mistaken.

7. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Australia
    Here is the light in question. The interesting thing is that it only turns off when playing some games. I've been playing Persona 3 FES for about an 2 hours and the light is still on. It turns off after about 20 minutes of Metal Gear Solid 3 (both backups).

[​IMG]

8. cobleman

Member cobleman GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    So you can play backups without a memory card then. Thats way to bright to be a normal led found in a PS2.

9. Herr_Noobien
    OP

Australia
    Hmmmmm, so it is a mod chip thing. The question is why does it turn off in some games, but not others?

EDIT: If I hold the power button down for 1 second while turning the console on, backups don't load. If I just tap it and then put in the disc, they run normally. It also plays PSX backups, supports 2 disc games. Does this sound like any particular modchip?

10. dilav

Member dilav GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    This light does look awfully bright. I do not remember any names of PS2 chips that have LEDs however. And I doubt anyone would put a chip near that corner in those models due to space, or any separate led boards for a certain chip.

I'm guessing that light is a laser fix of some sort, since they are installed in that corner. comsoft laser fix has a blue led iirc, although they could of change it. As stated above this laser fix limits current, or turns off the PS2 when it detects a problem. What the LED indicate, I do not know.

11. dn_angel000

Member dn_angel000 Phantom User

United States
    Try taking ur PS2 apart 2 c what's up!! lol