PS2 mod chip with cd based game question

BEEZERHALE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I have a PS2 slim and a load of games that I want to back up. I have used free mcboot and successfully backed up several dvd based games to dvd-r.
I am having trouble with one game in particular - Mister Mosquito. I believe it a cd based game and I cannot get it to work on dvd or cd.

Would a mod chip help with this?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a modchip is really only needed to play burned discs as if they were originals. While some games may not work via free mcboot and it's related tools that WOULD work with a modchip, I wouldn't go crazy down that road until you at least try a known reliable solution without paying for a modchip.
For example have you setup and tried OPL to play your backups from USB or network instead of even burning them?

Personally I prefer to use OPL with my backups on HDD. It's more convenient and easier to troubleshoot. I realize everyone has a different goal so that may not be what you want to do.
That said, have you burned any other CD based games to the same brand of CD-Rs your trying to use for Mr. Mosquito? PS2 lasers can be finnicky, and even if you never had issues with DVD-Rs you could have LOTS of issues with CD-Rs or vice versa.

BEEZERHALE

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
a modchip is really only needed to play burned discs as if they were originals. While some games may not work via free mcboot and it's related tools that WOULD work with a modchip, I wouldn't go crazy down that road until you at least try a known reliable solution without paying for a modchip.
For example have you setup and tried OPL to play your backups from USB or network instead of even burning them?

Personally I prefer to use OPL with my backups on HDD. It's more convenient and easier to troubleshoot. I realize everyone has a different goal so that may not be what you want to do.
That said, have you burned any other CD based games to the same brand of CD-Rs your trying to use for Mr. Mosquito? PS2 lasers can be finnicky, and even if you never had issues with DVD-Rs you could have LOTS of issues with CD-Rs or vice versa.
Thank you for the info. I have played with OPL but not with any success. Maybe I should revisit that method.
Can you message me the bit that you edited out?

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're insisting in using CDs, you should look up the ESR method, there's a compatibility list on the PSX website and see if that game works with it, if it does, all you have to do is patch the iso of the game, burn it to a blank DVD and launch it with ESR.

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're insisting in using CDs, you should look up the ESR method, there's a compatibility list on the PSX website and see if that game works with it, if it does, all you have to do is patch the iso of the game, burn it to a blank DVD and launch it with ESR.
there is even a way to combine ESR and FreeDVD boot now so a burned game backup can self-boot - although due to it's name i'm not sure if it would work for CD based games or if it did, if you would have to convert it to being DVD based first...

You can find that one by googling " FreeDVDBoot ESR Patcher GUI by Jabu "

CoolMe

That's the way she goes..
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there is even a way to combine ESR and FreeDVD boot now so a burned game backup can self-boot - although due to it's name i'm not sure if it would work for CD based games or if it did, if you would have to convert it to being DVD based first...

You can find that one by googling " FreeDVDBoot ESR Patcher GUI by Jabu "
Since he has Freemcboot it's basically the same thing.. unless i'm missing something?

esmith13

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it essentially is the same thing but you don't have to manually launch ESR.
Just like with a retail game, you can pop in the disc and if "autoboot game disc" is enabled the game will start without you clicking on anything at all.

compatibility is technically the same since it is still ESR, just ESR that is contained on the game disc and auto-starts itself via the freeDVDboot glitch. it would work on a fresh out of the box PS2/PS2 Slim that was never hard or soft modded

Reactions: CoolMe

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: