PS1/2 ps2 (hardmoded I think) playing games with usb?

leontas2007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hello.

Ok before I start let me say that I have no idea what is in this thing. I mean, they bought it to me as a gift in 2004, I was a kid then, a cousin said. "hey you can mod this thing". I didn't know what a mod was or what a backup was, the only thing I knew was that was a way to play free games. After a weird dude done his magic, I could just run burn any disc without any effort or weird utilties or programs, and play any game.

Now after aaaaaall thoses years in 2019, I found my ps2 laying in my old room I used to live and tried it. It works.. but this red screens are annoying as hell and discs are easily ruined over time.

So... I have a hardmodded ps2 that I have no idea what modchip it uses and I want to run games from a usb device, is this possible?

thanks for your time reading this pointless story, any help is appreciated.

Last edited by leontas2007,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You have to install FreeMcBoot to run games off hard drive. I believe you can with the modchip but someone else will need to tell you how I'm not sure.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I have a [...] ps2 [...] and I want to run games from a usb device, is this possible?
As I cut your sentence above, the answer is yes; however not all chips support booting from USB;

that wouldn't be a problem as you could burn an uLaunchELF disc and use that one time to install FMCB (arguably the most convenient and fastest entrypoint), however some chips conflict with FMCB and you would need to remove it afterwards
(not all consoles support FMCB either, but if you're sure yours was made in 2004 or before, it supports it)

Additionally, not all games are compatible with OPL (the three supported sources: internal HDD (only for 70xxx and lower models), USB, SMB all have their compatibility issues), and USB loading - while significantly improved at the beginning of this year, due to the discovery of a long standing bug in the homebrew USB drivers - is still the slowest interface on a PS2

Knowing your console model (scph-?????) is very useful to get a more specific answer!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You have to install FreeMcBoot to run games off hard drive.
Not necessarily, though a great idea

leontas2007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
As I cut your sentence above, the answer is yes; however not all chips support booting from USB;

that wouldn't be a problem as you could burn an uLaunchELF disc and use that one time to install FMCB (arguably the most convenient and fastest entrypoint), however some chips conflict with FMCB and you would need to remove it afterwards
(not all consoles support FMCB either, but if you're sure yours was made in 2004 or before, it supports it)

Additionally, not all games are compatible with OPL (the three supported sources: internal HDD (only for 70xxx and lower models), USB, SMB all have their compatibility issues), and USB loading - while significantly improved at the beginning of this year, due to the discovery of a long standing bug in the homebrew USB drivers - is still the slowest interface on a PS2

Knowing your console model (scph-?????) is very useful to get a more specific answer!

its scph-50004

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
its scph-50004
Great, all of the above still applies, plus you can get an original Sony network adapter and an HDD for it, which while being more complex to setup will give generally better compatibility with backup games and greatly superior performance, while also supporting FHDB (a variant of FMCB that installs to the HDD, so it doesn't require a memory card or space on it)

leontas2007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Great, all of the above still applies, plus you can get an original Sony network adapter and an HDD for it, which while being more complex to setup will give generally better compatibility with backup games and greatly superior performance, while also supporting FHDB (a variant of FMCB that installs to the HDD, so it doesn't require a memory card or space on it)
great.. but. Where to I start?

I mean all videos that I am watching are talking about things I have never heard about.
Also I must have an internet adapter? isn't there other ways?

Now I am looking on ways to boot the installer of freemcboot, is there a way to just burn it to a dvd/cd and just run it, since I can run backups normally?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Also I must have an internet adapter? isn't there other ways?
If (on your model of console) you want an internal HDD (in the PS2 scene "HDD" refers only to this one) or ethernet (for SMB) yes - you don't need one for USB

Now I am looking on ways to boot the installer of freemcboot, is there a way to just burn it to a dvd/cd and just run it, since I can run backups normally?
No, because the installer (be sure to get the latest, by the way) only supports being run from an USB drive; but what you can do is to burn a CD version of the file manager uLaunchELF (as the name implies, the commonly circulating iso is of an old version, since the current versions are called wLaunchELF [and included with the FMCB installer], but it's sufficient for this purpose and you don't need to bother with making your custom homebrew disc), run said disc, and use it to start the FMCB installer from USB (or for that matter any homebrew from any source)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B78Jh8sKWrBOelZZcEZOMlZmR0k/edit

Last edited by Ryccardo,
Reactions: leontas2007

leontas2007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
If (on your model of console) you want an internal HDD (in the PS2 scene "HDD" refers only to this one) or ethernet (for SMB) yes - you don't need one for USB

No, because the installer (be sure to get the latest, by the way) only supports being run from an USB drive; but what you can do is to burn a CD version of the file manager uLaunchELF (as the name implies, the commonly circulating iso is of an old version, since the current versions are called wLaunchELF [and included with the FMCB installer], but it's sufficient for this purpose and you don't need to bother with making your custom homebrew disc), run said disc, and use it to start the FMCB installer from USB (or for that matter any homebrew from any source)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B78Jh8sKWrBOelZZcEZOMlZmR0k/edit

ok, I have no idea what I am doing, but for some reason something worked. I mean LaunchELF booted normally and I installed this FMCM I guess?

Now when it boot it says Free MCboot [version 1.966]
and I have some choices, the downside is that it has installed in my memory card, it didn't have a choice to intsall in the usb.

So what can I do now to run the backups. I mean where to I put the iso files etc etc. Do I have to install anything else first? of is it ready to run isos?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
the downside is that it has installed in my memory card, it didn't have a choice to intsall in the usb.
Of course - the PS2 doesn't support booting from USB, in fact FMCB is one way to indirectly add that capability

You will need OPL to load PS2 backups from USB, read https://gbatemp.net/threads/newest-version-of-opl-and-its-changes.540616/ (and many other topics in this section) to find out which one of the two you think is better for you, then go to their website to learn how to set it up :)

Reactions: leontas2007

leontas2007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Of course - the PS2 doesn't support booting from USB, in fact FMCB is one way to indirectly add that capability

You will need OPL to load PS2 backups from USB, read https://gbatemp.net/threads/newest-version-of-opl-and-its-changes.540616/ (and many other topics in this section) to find out which one of the two you think is better for you, then go to their website to learn how to set it up :)

thank you very much, you've been very helpful linking everything I need to know.

Fugelmir

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Your setup is ideal. You can install burned games to the usb drive and it greatly reduces load time. I'd still recommend a modded ps3/ps4 for ps2 games, though.

leontas2007

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Your setup is ideal. You can install burned games to the usb drive and it greatly reduces load time. I'd still recommend a modded ps3/ps4 for ps2 games, though.

I really tried with my ps3 which I couldn't care less about ps3 games. So I though it could be a good choice. Sadly I can't run anything in there. I installed HAN and then HEN with webman, but none of the games were running, I only got errors

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER