PS2 Emulation on PS4 is Impressively Good.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, all.

I've tried over 50 PS2 games on PS4 and most of them work with little to no flaws and their graphics were updated. Sort of a remaster, without it being a repackaged release for a newer console. :)

From doing these tests, I found out that Burnout 3 (I tried the USA and EUR versions and neither worked) can be somewhat played on PS4 via Underground 2 - Burnout 3 Demo.

Screenshots of PS2 Games on PS4:

de2kspo.png

Np4hpRK.jpg

1Mas70a.jpg

5VG78sc.jpg

FXP06Q6.jpg

OslJaX0.jpg

bPR2YRU.jpg

Burnout 3 Demo on PS4:

iorJP7k.jpg

A7zAH5w.jpg

What a shame Burnout 3 doesn't work (at least in my experience) since it's the best Burnout game, ever.

thominho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hey, all.

I've tried over 50 PS2 games on PS4 and most of them work with little to no flaws and their graphics were updated. Sort of a remaster, without it being a repackaged release for a newer console. :)

From doing these tests, I found out that Burnout 3 (I tried the USA and EUR versions and neither worked) can be somewhat played on PS4 via Underground 2 - Burnout 3 Demo.

de2kspo.png

Np4hpRK.jpg

1Mas70a.jpg

5VG78sc.jpg

FXP06Q6.jpg

OslJaX0.jpg

bPR2YRU.jpg

Burnout 3 Demo on PS4:

iorJP7k.jpg

A7zAH5w.jpg

What a shame Burnout 3 doesn't work (at least in my experience) since it's the best Burnout game, ever.
Thank you very much for showcasing us the games you played. I tried the PS3 PS2 emulator using HEN and the results were mediocre and I still have sly and ratchet games sitting over there when bought them due to incorrect marketing that all PS3 models will play PS2 Games. So when the exploit was released, I was like no I don't spend time again playing a shitty emulator. I will give PS4 a try and I hope that the essentials first-party or/and third party can be played with a few issues. PS2 nowadays are SOOOOO expensive to buy.

Rat.2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey, all.

I am glad to hear this, what are you using to emulate the PS2 games on your PS4?

koffieleut

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I am glad to hear this, what are you using to emulate the PS2 games on your PS4?
In my experience the rogueV1 emulator gives me the highest success rate. I've got Lament of Innocence, Gitarooman and Namco X Capcom working flawless.
Tried the Jak2 emulator several times, but ended every time on an error message.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been converting them via PS2 Classics GUI.

That program really needs to be updated as well as the PSP one, too. I can't even get the PSP program to load an ISO as it crashes immediately.
Wow, someone actually remembers Road Trip? Loved that thing as a kid and replay it all the time. Loved being able to play it on my PS4 too and it ran perfectly.
I also tried Gadget Racers due to the familiar look, but it didn't work (at least the U.S. version).

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PS2 emulation on PS3 is certainly more impressive. I wonder how they managed to improve so vastly the netemu performance over softemu. What SPU blackmagic they casted there.

Some smart people at psx-place are going in and hex editing the fixes with I assume a lot of guesswork. While there won't ever be 100% compatibility because there's some games that can't be fixed they've gotten it up to about 80-85%, while the official PS2 emulatoron PS3 was not even 50% very impressive.

They actually are fixing some PS2 on PS4 games too on the same site, but not as many as PS3.

Deleted member 323844

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Some smart people at psx-place are going in and hex editing the fixes with I assume a lot of guesswork. While there won't ever be 100% compatibility because there's some games that can't be fixed they've gotten it up to about 80-85%, while the official PS2 emulatoron PS3 was not even 50% very impressive.

They actually are fixing some PS2 on PS4 games too on the same site, but not as many as PS3.
I'm not talking about the compatibility, but rather the performance, lacking any kind of PS2 hardware.

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

There's a game I wanted to play so badly on PS4 but won't let me: Dead or Alive 2

I tried the USA, EUR, and JPN copies. None worked. The demo discs with it crash, too.

I'd actually pay someone to make a working PS2-PS4 copy of the game.

Mo Poge

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Are their fixes based on PS3s with hardware emulation or on the newer PS3s without the hardware emulation?

Marc_LFD

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Was aware of the standalone release of Virtua Racing which was exclusive to Japan-only, but tried the Sega Classics Collection and it's even better since it includes more games, translated in English and it's a Western release (for convenience).

Virtua Racing looks great. Still have to try Hotshot Racing.

gR9drUr.jpg

Reactions: Mo Poge

Jayinem

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are their fixes based on PS3s with hardware emulation or on the newer PS3s without the hardware emulation?

I have no idea, I just know the games work like a normal PS2 game should, all that matters to me. If you want more info sign up at psx-place.com and ask them.

Reactions: Mo Poge

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hey, all.

de2kspo.png

Np4hpRK.jpg

1Mas70a.jpg

5VG78sc.jpg

FXP06Q6.jpg

OslJaX0.jpg

bPR2YRU.jpg

Burnout 3 Demo on PS4:

iorJP7k.jpg

A7zAH5w.jpg

Huh, really makes you think on why Sony doesn't re-release PS2 games other then licencing issues, oh yeah, it's cuz they're lazy.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I’m really jealous of any PS and android owner right now, us XBOX users won’t ever get such performance with emulators… :(
To be fair series s/x has great performance with emulation with retroarch right now using dev mode so Xbox isn't terrible in this regard not by a long shot.

Reactions: Aerocool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...