PS1/2 PS2* defeated - MechaPwn

mazingetter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
Hi! I got a softmodded SCPH-90001, I have read the readme in GitHub and for the 7500x to 9000x it doesn’t say anything about ps1 backups. Does that mean that those consoles can’t play ps1 backups even if I use mechapwn?

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi! I got a softmodded SCPH-90001, I have read the readme in GitHub and for the 7500x to 9000x it doesn’t say anything about ps1 backups. Does that mean that those consoles can’t play ps1 backups even if I use mechapwn?
That can play backups fine. Just switch your console to DTL-H90001. If you want to bypass AntiMod screens and can handle PAL for the system menus, you can set it to DTL-H90004 and use PS1VMODENEG to launch games in NTSC when needed. This is because the AntiMod code disables itself when run on a European system.

mazingetter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
That can play backups fine. Just switch your console to DTL-H90001. If you want to bypass AntiMod screens and can handle PAL for the system menus, you can set it to DTL-H90004 and use PS1VMODENEG to launch games in NTSC when needed. This is because the AntiMod code disables itself when run on a European system.

Nice! Thanks! Will try it later and see how it goes [emoji16]

Droderic

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Odd question, not sure if anyone can answer. I have a PAL 70000 ps2 slim model. I don't really want to get a deckard model, as I still believe the 70000 to be the best ps2 model available, due to having all ps1 hardware still on-board in a small form factor offering the best backwards compatibility. It also includes the solder points for a physical IDE HDD as well. Lets say I obtain a broken NTSC 70000 ps2 slim. Could I swap the IOP ROM (or BIOS, not sure which one) chip from the broken PS2 to the working PAL 70000 PS2 to get MechaPWN working with all retail discs on the PAL 70000? I know this sounds ridiculous, and is more trouble than it's worth, but it is interesting in theory.

Last edited by Droderic,

Cake4all

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried doing this (DTL-H75003 and PS1VMODENEG to launch games in NTSC when needed) for my PAL 75003. When I try and load NTSC PS1 backups I just get a black screen

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried doing this (DTL-H75003 and PS1VMODENEG to launch games in NTSC when needed) for my PAL 75003. When I try and load NTSC PS1 backups I just get a black screen
What video cables are you using? I have had no issues with RGB SCART and I am positive component worked as well.

Cake4all

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What video cables are you using? I have had no issues with RGB SCART and I am positive component worked as well.
Thanks for replying, I'm using component cables. Maybe I should try composite or S-Video.

EDIT: I have tried this without PS1VMODENEG as well and I get the same results.

Cake4all

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have you tried NTSC originals or PAL backups to determine if the discs did not burn properly?
I've tried all the discs before and they work fine. Strangely if I set my PS2 to DTL-H75001 the NTSC games work fine, the PAL games also run but don't fit on the screen so I need to use PS1VMODENEG for them.

It's just a bit of a pain going through the extra steps using PS1VMODENEG as nearly all of my games are PAL.

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried all the discs before and they work fine. Strangely if I set my PS2 to DTL-H75001 the NTSC games work fine, the PAL games also run but don't fit on the screen so I need to use PS1VMODENEG for them.

It's just a bit of a pain going through the extra steps using PS1VMODENEG as nearly all of my games are PAL.

I believe that is normal operation for PAL firmwares. I use DTL-H75004 as I have a modchip so it will boot any game and bypass PS1 AntiMod.

Only NTSC firmware allows you to play out of region games, which is why it is not working. I think I forgot in an earlier response that this is how it works since I had a modchip bypassing the limitations for me allowing AntiMod games to work on my console with MechaPwn.

MatrixMan

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As everyone may know, SCPH-75004 converted to DTL-H75004 only runs PS1 PAL games. (If you want to run both PAL and NTSC PS1 games on SCPH-75004, you must convert to DTL-H75001.

However, I recently patched a PS1 NTSC game to PAL mode with "patch-it.exe" before burning the game to CD-R and the game ran on DTL-H75004 in a proper NTSC image... I made sure to use PS1VModeNeg.elf.

Since pre-Deckard PS2 PAL consoles (PAL 5000x and PAL 7000x consoles) only run PAL PS1 backups with Mechapwn and not also NTSC backups, my question is, would the patching method above likewise allow a PS1 NTSC game to run on pre-Deckard PS2 PAL consoles?? In other words, would patching the game as above allow a PS1 NTSC game to work and display on a PS2 PAL phat SCPH-50004 console converted to DTL-H50004? Anyone know?

Odd question, not sure if anyone can answer. I have a PAL 70000 ps2 slim model. I don't really want to get a deckard model, as I still believe the 70000 to be the best ps2 model available, due to having all ps1 hardware still on-board in a small form factor offering the best backwards compatibility. It also includes the solder points for a physical IDE HDD as well. Lets say I obtain a broken NTSC 70000 ps2 slim. Could I swap the IOP ROM (or BIOS, not sure which one) chip from the broken PS2 to the working PAL 70000 PS2 to get MechaPWN working with all retail discs on the PAL 70000? I know this sounds ridiculous, and is more trouble than it's worth, but it

I think patching an NTSC game to PAL mode with "patch-it.exe" before burning the game to CD, might make the NTSC game run with Mechapwn on PAL DTL-H7000x... Please let us know.

I believe the "patch-it.exe" is in the form of a zip file that can be found on the ConsoleCopyworld website. It runs an NTSC game in NTSC display by making the console think its a PAL game. The PS Logo now says "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe" instead of "America" in the intro even though it runs in NTSC display. If anyone has successfully used this patch on a pre-Deckard PS2 PAL console with Mechapwn, please let us know.

Last edited by MatrixMan,

Xiphiidae

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I have a 70002 (PAL AU/NZ Pre-Deckard Slim, now a DTL-H70002 thanks to MechaPwn) that I have been trying to get NTSC PS1 games to run on. For Dragon Warrior VII specifically, I have tried the following burnt to CD-Rs:
Game patched to PAL with PAL4U2000, and
Game patched to PAL with Disc Patcher 3.0.

I have tried the above discs straight from Browser, and also through LaunchELF, with PS1VModeNeg, and after using GSM, and sadly none of these approaches have worked. I don't see the Sony Logo screen or anything; the discs are recognised as PlayStation games by the Browser, but after being attempted to be booted the console goes to a black screen and appears to crash, no disc spinning or anything.

I know that the discs/burning methods aren't an issue since I can successfully play burnt PAL PS1 games with no issue. Viewing the data of the patched image files with HxD shows that the file patcher with P4U2k says "Sony Computer Entertainment America", whereas the one patched with Disc Patcher says "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe". I also tried burning the PS1 import game player disc 'PS-X-Change Ver 2' (PAL release) to a CD-R, but this just crashes the console after displaying the "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe" logo screen.

While for many PS1 games I can and do use POPStarter, DW7 is one such game that isn't currently compatible and was never released in PAL regions, and I would like to play it on my PS2 without having to e.g. grab a 7500x or NTSC console if possible.

I haven't tried patch-it.exe, but I will do so tonight and get back to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE: Success! I patched my NTSC DW7 image to PAL with patch-it.exe, burnt it to a CD-R with ImgBurn, and my PS2 happily booted it. The image was a bit distorted, as expected, but booting the disc through PS1VModeNeg displays the image correctly, and plays at 60 Hz. I've set PS1VModeNeg to start automatically on boot when I hold L1, and I decided to patch FFVII to PAL as well so I could continue playing my current save file at 60 Hz. It's good to know that it's indeed possible to play out of region PS1 games on Pre-Deckard PAL consoles with little effort.

Last edited by Xiphiidae,

hammandis

Trophies
XP
Country
Lebanon
I have a 70002 (PAL AU/NZ Pre-Deckard Slim, now a DTL-H70002 thanks to MechaPwn) that I have been trying to get NTSC PS1 games to run on. For Dragon Warrior VII specifically, I have tried the following burnt to CD-Rs:
Game patched to PAL with PAL4U2000, and
Game patched to PAL with Disc Patcher 3.0.

I have tried the above discs straight from Browser, and also through LaunchELF, with PS1VModeNeg, and after using GSM, and sadly none of these approaches have worked. I don't see the Sony Logo screen or anything; the discs are recognised as PlayStation games by the Browser, but after being attempted to be booted the console goes to a black screen and appears to crash, no disc spinning or anything.

I know that the discs/burning methods aren't an issue since I can successfully play burnt PAL PS1 games with no issue. Viewing the data of the patched image files with HxD shows that the file patcher with P4U2k says "Sony Computer Entertainment America", whereas the one patched with Disc Patcher says "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe". I also tried burning the PS1 import game player disc 'PS-X-Change Ver 2' (PAL release) to a CD-R, but this just crashes the console after displaying the "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe" logo screen.

While for many PS1 games I can and do use POPStarter, DW7 is one such game that isn't currently compatible and was never released in PAL regions, and I would like to play it on my PS2 without having to e.g. grab a 7500x or NTSC console if possible.

I haven't tried patch-it.exe, but I will do so tonight and get back to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE: Success! I patched my NTSC DW7 image to PAL with patch-it.exe, burnt it to a CD-R with ImgBurn, and my PS2 happily booted it. The image was a bit distorted, as expected, but booting the disc through PS1VModeNeg displays the image correctly, and plays at 60 Hz. I've set PS1VModeNeg to start automatically on boot when I hold L1, and I decided to patch FFVII to PAL as well so I could continue playing my current save file at 60 Hz. It's good to know that it's indeed possible to play out of region PS1 games on Pre-Deckard PAL consoles with little effort.
Does that works on my scph-50004 pal console to be able to run ps1 burned disks no problems? And i have installed fmcb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E