PS1/PS2 games heading to PlayStation 4

GameWinner

Take your heart
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A well-placed source working with Sony's streaming service reveals that only PlayStation 3 titles are currently scheduled to use the "gameplay over IP" cloud service. PS1 and PS2 titles are set to follow the more conventional route of running locally under emulation on Sony's latest console - but with the possibility of HD visual enhancements.

While Sony effectively phased out hardware emulation of previous platforms during the early stages of the PS3 era, it has worked consistently on opening up the PlayStation back catalogue to publishers via software emulation and PSN downloads. Internally, PlayStation 3's firmware contains emulators for PS1, PS2 and even the handheld PSP, while Vita is capable of running PS1 and Vita titles virtually flawlessly using the same technology. In short, there's a proven codebase that can only get better for the vastly more powerful PS4.

Our information suggests that the same internal emulator strategy is planned for PlayStation 4, and we understand that Sony is actively pursuing the ability for older titles to run without the blurry upscaling seen on PS3, suggesting that native HD resolutions are being targeted. Assuming this intention carries through to final code, we'll be seeing an effect similar to the resolution scaling seen on unofficial PC emulation of Sony's consoles, as well as a great many of the "HD remasters" we saw on PS3 - where original assets were rendered at a higher resolution, often without any actual remastering at all.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-ps1-ps2-games-heading-to-ps4

Reactions: darkseekerliu

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Give me DBZ budokai tenkaichi 3, Bloddy Roar 3, Soul Calibur 3, Tekken 3 and other great games that all happen to be the 3rd in HD and we're fine

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Give me DBZ budokai tenkaichi 3, Bloddy Roar 3, Soul Calibur 3, Tekken 3 and other great games that all happen to be the 3rd in HD and we're fine

The others are likely to pass without any soundtrack changes but Tenkaichi 3 would receive a replacement song for the Opening because that was composed by Kenji Yamamoto.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
We will probably only get the current avaiable titles on PS3,
There are many titles I'd like to see on PS4, but they're all third-party so I can only hope.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope some of the games pop up on the Playstation Now service anyway. I wouldn't mind being able to stream, say, Timesplitters or Jak & Daxter on the go/on my tv/whatever, you don't own me.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:bortz:

Wanna know a secret Bortz? I haven't played Dragon Quest 8 for more than half an hour :sad:

Ive played... a few hours, but I have a real problem playing RPGs like that in from of a console and TV. I would be able to play that game like a normal person I could stream in with PSnow on my Vita.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
They should probably reconsider sticking to primarily PS3 games for the streaming service, if that's really their intent. You probably won't get a boat load of sales trying to resell the ability to play games that most people who want to own, already own. Basically, internal source please be wrong because I would rather a nice selection of PS2 titles than just PS3 games. Plus, it seems odd that they would focus on releasing PS2 games on the PSN for one system, rather than on a service for three. At the same time, I could see them as trying to make the PS4 more appealing that way, but it would still be lame after what Playstation Now seemed like it was going to be.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
seeing how I recently acquired a fat PS2 and installed a 200gb HDD the idea don't excite me that much, now if they are going to release PS2 games on Vita I'll be buying a couple of titles.
on second thought I think they are perfectly capable of releasing PS2 games with upscaled resolution on PS4, if PCSX2 runs flawlessly without much effort on PC's post 2012 and PS4 is as powerful as a Core i5. now there is the thing were they need to make optimizations on the emulator for the eventual graphical glitches(Klonoa 2 is a good example of problem game) and see if that effort worth it.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's a good thing PS1 and PS2 games will be emulated, that way PS4 owners won't need to be online to play them

while Vita is capable of running PS1 and Vita titles virtually flawlessly

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Insta buy if PS4 plays PS1,PS2 Discs.... like damn.. *Drooling*
Yeah, uh, the PS4 doesn't have that hardware in it. It has no hardware for physical backwards compatibility. They're talking about converting more games for the PS Store that you can buy and download, potentially doing more PS2 titles with the HD treatment (like Jack & Daxter HD Collection). Essentially the games will be running on specialized emulators, like PS1 games already do on the PSP/PS3/Vita.

Reactions: Rat.2

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: Good morning everyone