Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Skyline969 said:
doyama said:
Bladexdsl said:
Giga_Gaia said:
Not only are they thieves, they take people's money out of it. Also, jailbreak should be free, asking people to pay for this is simply unacceptable. It's only a softmod, it's not even a real mod.
laugh.gif
exactly and all softmods should remain FREE

I'm not sure if this technically qualifies as a softmod. My impressions from the video are that you have to activate the debug mode everytime you want to play your backups. Thus the dongle isn't just a temporary boot strap to get unsigned code onto the console after which you're home free. It's just a hardware mod that doesn't require you to open up the device. Am I incorrect in this assessment?
No. It's a softmod through and through, but a temporary one. Temporary, of course, in the sense that it must be applied every time the PS3 is powered on.

EDIT: No, I take that back. I think it's a hybrid. A hardmod because you're using additional hardware regardless of opening the PS3. However, a softmod because said hardmod uses some special software to modify the PS3 on boot to run unsigned code.

I guess it's a matter of semantics. For me the demarcation line is whether getting to your desired 'state' on a consistent basis, it absolutely require dedicated hardware. On the one side, the Pandora battery is a 'softmod'. While you do need a physical device, the battery,it is only used as a bootstrap to get to your desired state at which point you no longer need it. Stuff like the PS3Jailbreak and NDS flashcarts, to me are just over that demarcation line into hard mod, since again you need the physical hardware to get to your desired state.

Maybe at the end of the day it really is just semantics
tongue.gif

Hasney

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mathieulh on Twitter reckons that to get to the required state to run unsigned code, you have to set recovery flag to 1. This could leave the console in the unsigned state permanantly, but the jig resets it back to 0 (retail mode) after it's done it's thing, meaning it goes back to behaving like normal.

If true, not sure if there would be a technical reason to do this, or if it was done to make sure someone can't just borrow the dongle and do it once.

Taik

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
They used this so that people don't just buy 1 for a group of 10 people and share it.

Thus they need to buy one for each of them meaning 1200 bucks instead of 120.

MrDiesel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Haha, it's already sold out according to this site:

Dutch:
QUOTE said:
De PS Jailbreak verkoopt blijkbaar zo goed, dat hij nu al uitverkocht is. Maar hoelang zal Sony wachten voordat ze er iets aan gaan doen?

De PS Jailbreak is volgens de makers een USB stick die de PlayStation 3 in debug-modus zet, waardoor het mogelijk word om illegale games te spelen. Deze stick is dan ook nu al uitverkocht. Zo te zien is er veel interesse in deze hack, alhoewel er een prijskaartje aanhangt van ongeveer €150,-. Op een van de vele websites die deze illegale USB stick verkoopt, word het volgende gemeld:
“We are sorry to say that we are currently not accepting sales online for the PS Jailbreak as we are currently out of stock”
Ook op andere sites is de PS Jailbreak uitverkocht. Blijkbaar hebben mensen er veel vertrouwen in, toch gek aangezien nog niemand de hack al heeft getest. Wel verschenen er onlangs al een paar filmpjes op Youtube.
Let op! PS3Clan ondersteund geen enkel onderwerp van piraterij, dus ook de verkoop ervan niet!

Bron: http://ps3clan.nl/2010/08/ps-jailbreak-al-...t-voor-release/

English translation (done by me
tongue.gif
):
QUOTEApparently the PS Jailbreak sells so good, that it's already sold out at the moment. But how long will it take for Sony to react?

According to the makers of the PS Jailbreak, it is a USB stick which puts the PlayStation 3 in debug-mode, so it's possible to play illegal games. Thus this stick is already sold out. It seems there's much intrest in this hack, although it's price tag is about €150,-. At one of the many sites which sell this illegal USB stick, the following is mentioned:
"We are sorry to say that we are currently not accepting sales online for the PS Jailbreak as we are currently out of stock"
Also at the other sites the PS Jailbreak is sold out. Apparently people have a lot of trust in this, but it's crazy 'cause nobody has tested the hack yet. There appeared a few movies at Youtube though.

Source: http://ps3clan.nl/2010/08/ps-jailbreak-al-...t-voor-release/

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tom191 said:
I was looking around a website for someone to repair my PS3 for me when I came across this...
http://www.vgcrepairs.biz/zen_store/index....products_id=465

This site is based in the US and has a good reputation, and they will be selling the PSJailbreak. I figured a few of you might like to know where to find one in the US.

Thanks for the link I'll check into their reputation.

MrDiesel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Hasney said:
lol @ nobody has tested the hack yet. It's in enough reputable hands right now.

Yeah, I thought the same. There was another article (at the same site) which said that the stick has no "USB drivers" and that a program was released which first copies files to an USB stick and then "jailbreaks" the PS3 and installs a trojan horse to your PS3's internal HDD after installing the files with your PS3
wacko.gif
This is bullshit.
psjailbreak.gif

If you ask me this site doesn't really know what it's talking about 'cause it's the program itself which contains a trojan horse for your PC and not the PS3
wacko.gif

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't wait for this thing to get cloned. I hope people sell their knockoffs for $5. These people behind this hack are a bunch of greedy shit heads, and they deserve to be ripped off. Like someone said before, this shit should be free.

DigitalDeviant

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
SPH73 said:
I can't wait for this thing to get cloned. I hope people sell their knockoffs for $5. These people behind this hack are a bunch of greedy shit heads, and they deserve to be ripped off. Like someone said before, this shit should be free.

Cheaper yes, free not so much, there is a cost behind manufacturing these "dongles" or whatever you want to call them, now does that cost merit the $150 price tag? I don't think so, also $5 bucks for clones, ah probably $50 will be the average price for clones.

SPH73

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DigitalDeviant said:
SPH73 said:

Cheaper yes, free not so much, there is a cost behind manufacturing these "dongles" or whatever you want to call them, now does that cost merit the $150 price tag? I don't think so, also $5 bucks for clones, ah probably $50 will be the average price for clones.

Forgive my ignorance but isn't this just a file pre-loaded onto a cheap USB memory stick?

You can easily get memory sticks for less than $5. ..
smile.gif
I'm just saying...

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
Trophies
XP
Country
SPH73 said:
DigitalDeviant said:
SPH73 said:

Forgive my ignorance but isn't this just a file pre-loaded onto a cheap USB memory stick?

You can easily get memory sticks for less than $5. ..
smile.gif
I'm just saying...
NO!

There's a chip inside that's loaded with a microprocessor, if you go back a few pages you can see exactly what processor it is inside that it's using.

@MrDiesel As far as I know no prices have gone up anywhere yet, isn't that price just rumour and speculation? Though I wouldn't be at all surprised if that would be the price.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: "pine unf apple" doesn't count! Lol