[ProTip] Exiting SSB without leaving GatewayMode/EmuNAND

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Dont Worry About it, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Dont Worry About it
    OP

Dont Worry About it GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    As you might know, if you quit SSB through the home menu, the system will restart in sysNAND, which can make playing the game kind of annoying. If you hit home and instead of quitting, run a CIA game from the home menu, the other game will launch, and quitting from there will bring you back to Gateway mode. Since the only way to save a .3ds rom is to exit the game through the home menu, I HIGHLY recommend installing SSB as a CIA game.

2. Oxybelis

Oxybelis GBAtemp Fan

Jan 10, 2010
    I run Download Play to close Smash.

3. Venseer

Venseer A weapon to surpass Metal Gear

Dec 12, 2013
    Brazil
    Kennedy Space Center
    I don't think that's true at all. I leave my smash with the app trick ever since I start playing and my save is always there.

4. Dont Worry About it
    OP

Dont Worry About it GBAtemp Regular

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Hmm, maybe because its a card2 game?

5. Phantom_User

Phantom_User Phantom of Page 666

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    If we install it as CIA, what happens? We jump to another CIA or.. CIA saves are diff?

6. Seraphiel

Seraphiel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2014
    Iceland
    You can just press the home button and select any other app like the camera for example and it will not exit back to SysNAND.

and no its a card1 type, the whole exit to to home menu to save thing was removed when omega came out iirc.

7. Cyan

Cyan GBATemp's lurking knight

Global Moderator
    Oct 27, 2002
    France
    Engine room, learning
    Exit to save is still present.
    only Card2 type are using "real time saving" to write directly in the ROM file.

Card1 still require a Home+exit or Home+load_another_title to export the save to file.
    Card1 re-use internal save if you launch the same game than last played game (if you power off/shutdown without exiting, running last played game is fine)
    It replace internal save if you play a different game. don't launch a different Card1 game after a hard shutdown or you'll lose your progress.

mmn and Phantom_User like this.
  8. Seraphiel

Seraphiel GBAtemp Regular

Oct 7, 2014
    Iceland
    Ah so its still there, well still changing from from SSB to camera or some other non game app is a proper solution for this.

Phantom_User likes this.
  9. Phantom_User

Phantom_User Phantom of Page 666

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    Interesting. Good to know! :)

10. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-atorâ„¢

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    For some reason my camera app doesn't work and crashes. I tried launching BBB as it exits quickly but since it doesn't have a save not sure if it forces SSB save.

11. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

Apr 22, 2011
    The Fourth Dimension
    yeah i just found this out after i quit my legit eshop copy of the game

speaking of legit eshop games, should i play them in gateway mode or classic mode? or does it not matter

12. Gamemaster1379

Gamemaster1379 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 5, 2008
    United States
    United States
    For all intents and purposes, you should technically play them in classic mode, seeing as that is more or less emulation of a legitimate system, and doesn't have any gateway pseudo-saves/gatewaymode menu injection, etc.

Technically speaking though, it shouldn't matter.