Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by funderwood, Apr 9, 2010.

Apr 9, 2010

Pros and Cons by funderwood at 12:05 AM (1,282 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. funderwood
    OP

Newcomer funderwood Newbie

United States
    i just got a psp and wanted to know the pros and cons of using custom firmware.

2. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=215812

google much? The main advantages are homebrew capability and the ability to play game backups via ISO/CSO. The disadvantages would be the lack of online play / and PSN store access via PSP.

3. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    can't you just use psnkiller for online play?

4. Jamstruth

Member Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

United Kingdom
    Only works on some games and if the game requires a patch you're screwed as there's no way to patch a game via CFW.

5. Schizoanalysis

Member Schizoanalysis From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...

Australia
    Cons? Are there even cons? I mean... all in all...

6. clegion

Member clegion GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    all in all for single player there's no con

7. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    Personally, I've never bothered with multiplayer co-op online games for handhelds. Hopefully Sony's online-play isn't comparable to nintendo's which is totally useless. My train-of-thought is more along the lines of: if your going to play a FPS game then you may as well play it online with PC/360/PS3. I guess what I'm trying to get at is: in my experience, all multi-player/co-op on handheld devices has been utterly terrible.

All-in-all, for a single player, like myself, who enjoys RPG games as well as homebrew capability, custom firmware is an awesome, must-have firmware extension. The PSP has become the most [hacked] handheld that I know of so far in that it has awesome cumulative library compatibility w/ a huge variety of emulation and homebrew applications plausible and it doesn't need a 3rd party accessory such as an Acekard2i or an iPlayer.

Everything considered, the only real downside to the PSP at the minute is the fact that E3 is 2 months away and knowing whether the new handhelds [let's face it, there will be new handhelds xD) will have backwards compatibility with PSP memory-stick pro duo's or photoflash CR-5400 / Micro SD.

Ultimately, the amount of content you have on your device is memory card dependent so it will be interesting to see whether or not new devices incorporate the feature with regard to whether their respective device will get hacked for homebrew capability. Personally, I think they'll utilize MicroSD/Pro Duo considering the flail that was the PSP-Go.

8. Shardnax

Member Shardnax GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Online play for the DS is fine. If you have a 1000 you can just flop back and forth between OFW/CFW; So, there is no downside, even if you want to play games online that require a patch.

9. funderwood
    OP

Newcomer funderwood Newbie

United States
    How hard is it to switch back to OFW for CFW with a 1000

10. ProtoKun7

Global Moderator ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 3

United Kingdom
    If you have a pandora, it isn't too difficult, I would've thought. I believe the XGEN updaters are able to install any OFW as long as you have the firmware's PBP file.

11. chriso

Newcomer chriso Advanced Member

United States
    It's very simple to switch between firmwares as long as you have a spare pandora/magic mem stick files. Keep in mind that the PSP 1000 (and early 2000 models) will always be flash-able no matter what firmware you have as long as you have a "service" battery at hand. Honestly, I don't see why you'd ever want to use OFW unless you purchase games that cannot run on CFW.