Proof a Hardmod was done?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Flip01, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Flip01
    OP

Flip01 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    Canada
    So other then seeing that arm9/Luma is loaded on my N3ds, is there any other way to prove that a Hardmod was done to my system? after moving some files around i found the Soundhax file on my SD card...

2. LongDongSilver

LongDongSilver GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2016
    United States
    The Buvvins
    only way to tell is to open it and look at the appropriate solder joints.soundhax files should be normal if he downgraded via hardmod(idk why he would we can cfw on 11 now) he still needs a homebrew entrypoint

3. MsMidnight

MsMidnight part time fe modder

Oct 12, 2015
    kys
    Hardmod is a hardware modification. Seeing *hax files means they downgraded said console. Although I'm not sure why you'd be worried about whether having a hardmod or not

4. Flip01
    OP

Flip01 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    Canada
    I paid to have it done (yes yes i know a hardmod is not needed anymore)
    So im wondering if i paid something that actually wasnt done.

5. LongDongSilver

LongDongSilver GBAtemp Regular

Dec 1, 2016
    United States
    The Buvvins
    he probably didn't do it. how much did he charge if he was really expensive id say make a fuss and see how he reacts.

6. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    The test points next to the NAND chips will be silver if a hardmod is done and copper if it wasn't.

7. Flip01
    OP

Flip01 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    Canada
    80ish CND

8. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    im confused . . . if your 3ds was bricked and now is not then it was (temp) hard modded . . . if it was not bricked then logically you got a permanent hard mod in that case there is a new port on the console . . . otherwise i ask why you got it hard modded

9. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

Sep 23, 2013
    the I always do them just because if someone pats they pay for guaranteed safety I. e nand backup made before any *hax hits the console, but that said I think depending on how you look at it the extra could be for the safety of knowing that if for whatever partical beam from space scenario happens the moder is capable of actually performing the mod and unbricking your system given any possible scenario no matter how remote the chance

but yeah the only way to know for sure would be to open up the system and look at the test points....I guess if you want to avoid that you could try checking if the screws just *look* like they have been opened

10. Flip01
    OP

Flip01 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    Canada

At the time it was sent in and i did my research, a hard mod was the ONLY option to get cfw installed (The Beginning of dec/16) When i got it back (this past week) i learned that there was a new way to get cfw on the ds's (which i will attempt to do on my daughters 3ds)

11. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    . . . oh . . . now i see

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

but here is my question did you pay for a downgrade/cfw install . . . or a (perma-)hard mod

12. Flip01
    OP

Flip01 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 11, 2016
    Canada

Yea, so attempting to take the secondary screws off (underneath the cover) They are TIGHT as hell! Im going to be calling tomorrow to see about getting a partial refund, Because as you said i should have another port on my console should i not?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I paid for a downgrade/cfw install, Annnnnnd now i see what you mean (i think)

13. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    if you paid for a hardmod yes . . . but if you paid for a downgrade/cfw install it may show no signs if done well

14. Majickhat55

Majickhat55 The Red Woman

Mar 28, 2016
    United States
    Asshai
    Tight screws mean nothing though. He could have just over tightened them replacing the back cover. Seriously you need to check the solder points, it's the only way to be 100% sure if you got what you paid for.