Project Steamboy - The Portable Steam Machine

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Foxi4, Jun 16, 2014.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    During E3 the eyes of the whole world were fixed on the big three - Nintendo, Sony and Microsoft, but they're not the whole world, are they? There's still the Steam Machines looming on the horizon, and now it seems that there's an incoming portable one ready to exchange blows with Nintendo's 3DS and Sony's PSVita​
    "Project Steamboy" is the world's first portable Steam Machine, the device packs a quad-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 32GB built-in storage, support for WiFi and 3G, a 5" 16:9 screen and the trademark Steam Machine touchpads on each side - a modest, but sufficient setup, especially once you factor in SteamOS's streaming capabilites.​
    Not much is known about the device for now, but until more information surfaces we can at least feast our eyes on the flashy teaser.​
    :arrow: Source (The Escapist)

osirisjem and p3rand0r like this.

2. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Interesting...but not interesting enough.

My Shield has similar specs (Well, depending on what the CPU ends up being anyways, and it only has 2GB of RAM and 16GB of internal storage, but it also supports 64GB+ MSD cards) and I can already stream just about any PC game to the Shield so I probably won't bother with this.

Unless it has an insane price point like the Shield going for $200, otherwise I'll just stick with my Shield...

3. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    If it streams games, not interesting. If it plays them directly, then I'll be interested.

4. ilman

ilman Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser

Jul 25, 2010
    Shibuya
    If this is actually real, has decent battery life and doesn't cost as much as a full-blown PC, then I'll surely be buying one.
    Wonder if DoTA 2 will be playable with a BT mouse and keyboard on it.

You can't compare an x86 CPU with an ARM one...just sayin'...

5. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Interesting premise but I'm skeptical on battery life lol

6. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    Looks like I'll have to find a new handheld to follow if Sony doesn't do another one.

7. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Considering the fact that Steam Machines are all running on x86_64 CPU's, chances are that this will have an AMD APU or one of Intel's new mobile x86_64 CPU's powering it. Moreover, Steam's library of games doesn't run on ARM CPU's, so it's practically definite that this will be x86_64-powered, and in that case it'll probably sh*t all over the Shield.

EDIT: To address the concerns about whether this is "only streaming" or "running games natively", it'll be capable of doing both as it'll run SteamOS natively.

Meanwhile at Valve...

[​IMG]

Ammako, Black-Ice and T-hug like this.
  8. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    But if its a AMD cpu its gonna use loads more power than a tegra mobile processor.

9. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    i thought it was some sort of travel ironing device.

T-hug and KingBlank like this.
  10. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The Jaguar microarchitecture uses between 25 and 3.9 watts, that's entirely acceptable for portable use.

KingBlank likes this.
  11. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Actually, quite a few of AMDs APUs use very little power compared to similar-spec'd CPUs/GPUs. I think their Jaguar line can run off of <25W.

And, AFAIK, there isn't a lot of info as to how much power NVIDIA's Tegra 4 consumes (at least, none I could find with a quick google search.) so it's sort of debatable as to how much power the Tegra 4 actually uses.

EDIT: Goddamit Foxi :angry: :ph34r:

KingBlank and Foxi4 like this.
  12. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

I don't know. The Vita's big selling point revolved around taking console experiences on the go, and seeing how it's performed... a Steamboy sounds like a mist-take.

13. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    Pass. I just can't get over the weird touchpad/control stick hybrid thing its got going on.

Obveron and SpaceJump like this.
  14. KingBlank

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Yeah, exchanging blows with vita is a bit like beating up a disabled kid.

15. Foxchild

Foxchild Goomba Overlord

Apr 13, 2013
    United States
    Wonder how long before Nintendo sues them for having "boy" in the name... also, were those arrow buttons instead of a d-pad? Not sure I like that.

16. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Probably "never" because Nintendo doesn't own the word "boy", I doubt that anyone would ever confuse this thing for a Game Boy. ;) As for the arrow buttons, the Steam controller is still in the prototype stages so chances are that if it changes into a standard d-pad, the Steamboy's design will be adjusted to reflect that.
    Well, it sold over 8 million units so far. It's not doing very well, but it's not dramatically poor either.

KingBlank likes this.
  17. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Hope the prices are fair (cheap netbook range). Glad I didn't invest in a Pandora now. :)

18. KingBlank

Sep 17, 2008
    New Zealand
    New Zealand
    Yeah me too, I have a shield atm and am looking foward to gen 2... But it looks like I will have to make a choice now.
    Well, whatever one emulates PS2 games best wins :)

19. Mario92

Mario92 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 20, 2010
    Finland
    Finland
    Well if "console experience" means ports of indie games then it's pretty much spot on. I'm guessing this machine should have enough power to run indie and old stuff without problems by itself and of course one same lisence should do.

But this is done by third party and there's so much variables right now that can make it really bad machine.

20. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    That's at least interesting. Maybe even more interesting than the Steam Machines. Why can't we get 4G on these things?
    I wonder if there's going to be multiple Steamboys.

Warning: Spoilers inside!