Project DolphinX

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by noobwarrior7, Nov 6, 2008.

Nov 6, 2008

Project DolphinX by noobwarrior7 at 6:17 AM (1,507 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. noobwarrior7
    OP

Member noobwarrior7 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    earlier this afternoon I started this thread below:

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=113862

I was asking for someone with devkit to compile a version of tona's Patchmii cIOS clone rev5 that runs it's syscalls through IOS16.
    I still feel there is a use for this and am still hoping someone will work some magic.

More importantly, however, I feel like that could be just one aspect of a bigger project.

I want to take that original thought in a new direction, and here it is, I'm calling it Project DolphinX

Goal: Through primarily two branches, this program will make use of a wealth of open-source
    wii software readily available by building "recovery" tiers of these already existing programs,
    to extend their possible use, and make the experience more personally controlled by the end-user.
    This is NOT a programming/coding project, and it is not a project to set out and accomplish something new.
    It is to allow us more "plan B's" when dealing with unexpected events in the wii scene.

What it will need from the community:
    Really only two things: persons with ideas, and persons willing to compile, test run, etc.
    This project is about BEGINNING to do SOMETHING with available open-sources.

Branches:
    The initial branches, at least until a new update rolls along, should revolve primarily around
    IOS16, and IOS249.
    Apps compiled to send syscalls thru 16 will be codenamed "Fallback" and
    apps compiled to send syscalls thru 249 will be codenamed "cIOS" (duh!)
    ex:
    "cIOS_PatchMii_Clone-rev5[Fallback]" would install tona's cIOS clone through syscalls at IOS16
    "WUFE[cIOS]" would be pointing at IOS249

a possible third branch could be codename "Core"
    throw some apps at IOS254 (better known as PatchMii_Core)

a possible extension for those willing to do some legwork could be a "Revolution" branch,
    where an IOS selector is included. I'm quite positive this is not beyond some people around here.

GETTING STARTED:
    Things that are really needed to build the intial framework and to "start big":

Classification "FALLBACK":
    -xyzzy
    -tona's cIOS PatchMii Clone (Rev3,4,or5)
    -WUFE
    -AnyTitle Deleter

Classification "CIOS":
    -WUFE
    -AnyTitle Deleter
    -FS_Browser
    -Menu Loader Clone
    -PatchMii_Core Installer
    -DVDX Installer

Classification "Core":
    -DVDX Installer
    -Wad Manager
    -AnyRegion Changer

while I have other ideas about where to take this project, I don't want to share them all right now.
    I have reasons, one of which is simply because this whole project may get completely rejected by the lot of you.

I await comments and contributions, just please be specific in anything you say and/or do,
    and remember, this is primarily to increase in number the community resources available to the average user,
    but doing so in an organized way.

-nw

UPDATE: Branches adjusted.

2. WiiCrazy

Member WiiCrazy Be water my friend!

Turkey
    Can dolphin run system software successfully? I guess it doesn't...

3. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    so this is just a "recompilation" project and you are basically asking for people that know how to use devkitpro to do it for you....

beside, the only "plan B" I can see is actually just a modification of the IOS_Reload call parameter, pretty important words (project, branches, framework) for a quite limited idea [​IMG]

and dolphinX, excuse me but lol

4. noobwarrior7
    OP

United States
    okay, but A) I'd be willing to learn to use devkit for this myself if there is enough interest (I wasn't gonna be bothered on the original thread, true), and B) it really isn't "just for me" at all, I mean what possible uses could I personally have to recode everything to run off different IOSes, I don't even have all these IOSes on my wii at the moment.

I'm on a 3.2, I have no need for any of this, all MY homebrew runs fine. However, some people are on the newest update and have no "urge" to downgrade. Some people will be on the next "newest" update and have no urge to downgrade. This allows us to go ahead and take sources and make them work for those people, as well as have a learning experience. Your painting it as a lazy act, but I think it's kind of the opposite, at least that's what I was going for. This exact kind of thinking is what led to the downgrade that was concocted the other day.

As for DolphinX, I thought it was a cool name. (sigh)

But of course, if there is no interest, then I'll just consider it an abandoned idea. I just thought organized, pre-compiled binaries using a variety IOSes were a worthwhile venture. As a said in the original post, wasn't sure anyone would agree.

5. deervark

Member deervark GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I think I understand what you are trying to do, but I'm still a little confused. I do think something like this would be useful for beta testing the loaders, as some of the recent threads have demonstrated by giving testing results from using different cIOS's and such. But I think the goal of the scene is not to have a solution/dol/loader for every cIOS/update/situation, but to have 1 piece of excellent software for 1 wii setup.
    I personally think that things are pretty easy to use right now. I consider myself a complete idiot, and I was able to use and install all of the loaders the minute they were released. I have had a hiccup here and there, but that's what these forums are for. If someone is using the loaders, and they procure backups, then they shouldn't blindly update - it's blazingly simple and most people understand that now.
    I could have misread your posts and ideas completely and if I did, please correct me.

6. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    I'm pretty sure Noobwarrior, is hoping to create the Ultimate easy possibly Legal Downgrader package....am i right or wrong in saying that lol.

Nothing to do with backup loaders...?

7. Killer Phantom

Member Killer Phantom GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sounds like a good idea.

Can't help you much though. Why not use RevolutionX as its name? Project DolphinX sounds like it's something made for Gamecube.

8. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    Pretty sure its similar title to the F**ked up gamecube wii emulator for PC, that doesn't actually work lol, just loads a couple of Intros lol..

9. noobwarrior7
    OP

United States

oops, lol, I guess I chose poorly then! haha.

Oh well, as Jacobian pointed out, it's not like it really needs a name.

I mainly just think useful stuff should be organized with a sensible nomenclature, and an explanation of who would have a use for each item.
    With these various things, a lot of things become possible for more people (hopefully one being a streamlined legal downgrader), and of course things change as updates are released, etc. (including not only ninty updates but also author updates, assuming they arrive)

a lot of the listed programs do give errors now, not only to those who haven't downgraded, but also to those who have gone about it the wrong way, or missed a step...etc. this would at least get their wii's to a near fully-functional level, for a start.

10. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    Dolphin SVN - Gamecube.Wii Emulator for Windows

Yeah should of chose your desired name more carefully lol haha.
    Nah just carry on with it if your wanting to Noob...