[Project] Controlling robots with the 3DS browser.

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by WhoAmI?, Mar 17, 2015.

1. WhoAmI?
    OP

WhoAmI? PASTA's dirty animal

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball
    Last year, I made a robot with a Raspberry Pi but I originally used my laptop to control it - which wasn't exactly ideal. I then decided to use my 3DS as a controller instead, as I didn't really use it much anyway.

After spending several months learning web design, Javascript and PHP (which is pretty easy to learn), I had finally made something that worked - a simple 3DS friendly UI to control robots!

This is similar to the homebrew posted here except that this is written purely in HTML, CSS and Javascript - no modding or hacks involved. So yeah - the 3DS browser is good for something, I guess :yaysp:.

Here is a video (sorry that the brightness is a bit sucky, I was using a Nexus 7... The camera is crappy in low light):

The web page also downloads JSON data in the background, then parses it and writes it to <DIV>'s, showing system info.

Other features:

• Exploit Launcher (to run GW, homebrew etc)
    • RC Car Controller (it has predefined radio schematics, allowing you to control RC toys - the signal is broadcast by the RPi. You could be malicious with this if you wanted to :rofl2:)
    • FM Radio Broadcaster (Allows you to stream music to a local FM radio)
    • Simple Command Line Entry
    • Shutdown and Reboot Buttons
    Would be nice if I could port these features to an actual homebrew app, though I don't know how to develop HB as I haven't really taken the time to learn how to do so. Would be rad if someone developed a template that I could learn from!
    If you wanna help me in doing so, this is all the template needs so I can get "basic" functionality:
    • Send/Recieve HTTP Requests
    • Parse JSON
    • Detect key presses
    • Send UDP/TCP packets (this is for the Pi-RC server)
    Thanks for reading!

2Hack, Margen67, tony_2018 and 3 others like this.
  2. DarkFlare69

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Interesting. Good job, maybe we can use this as a TV remote or something.

Margen67 likes this.
  3. WhoAmI?
    OP

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball

Perhaps a controller for XBMC, seeing as it has a web interface. Could probably develop one that would interface with the 3DS's buttons through JavaScript.

Margen67 likes this.
  4. ChrisCerne

ChrisCerne Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 23, 2012
    United States
    Is your robot K9 from Doctor Who?

5. WhoAmI?
    OP

Mar 15, 2015
    Poké Ball

Yeah. It used to be just a toy but I lost the controller so I decided it would be perfect as a robot project, seeing as the case was still usable.

Margen67 and ChrisCerne like this.