Gaming Programs converting videos

CTR640

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Watching movies and series on the PSVita OLED is much better at nights than on smartphone and during those years I've bought some memory cards for my Vita.
4GB (included when I bought), 16GB, 32GB and 64GB. I use mkvtomp4, which actually extracts the mp4 inside the mkv container so nothing is converted and theferore, the size, bitrate and quality are the same. But I could decrease the size to save space because screen res 960x544 and most of the movies I have are 1080p. Which converting programs are the best? I mean having the same quality after converting since it's not extracting the container anymore. And also the possibility to change desired resolutions.

And one last question, 3.60 and 3.65 are the most popular FW. Hopefully in a few days I'll be getting another second hand Vita and it has 3.63.
3.63 can have henkaku too? Or should I update to 3.65?

SB45

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
It's better to update to 3.65 and use Enso. As for your main question - I use Movavi to convert videos. It support NVENC and Intel QuickSync for many formats, and mp4 is one of them. Also there is good support for subtitles (many converters that I've tested fucked up with SSA/ASS files). I use H.264 codec with VBR (17) (higher quality is good for action movies with many dynamic or heavy detailed objects, but for animation it's a placebo) and Main profile 4.1 for video, and AAC 44.1kHz/128 kbps for audio. But if you want to speedup convertion process I don't recommend to use downscaling (only for 1080p if is large). 720p is the best option.

Last edited by SB45,

CTR640

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's better to update to 3.65 and use Enso. As for your main question - I use Movavi to convert videos. It support NVENC and Intel QuickSync for many formats, and mp4 is one of them. Also there is good support for subtitles (many converters that I've tested fucked up with SSA/ASS files). I use H.264 codec with VBR (17) (higher quality is good for action movies with many dynamic or heavy detailed objects, but for animation it's a placebo) and Main profile 4.1 for video, and AAC 44.1kHz/128 kbps for audio. But if you want to speedup convertion process I don't recommend to use downscaling (only for 1080p if is large). 720p is the best option.
I'm fine without Enso.

I'll try Movavi, thanks for the explanation, it. 1080p is pretty pointless on PSVita screen so 720p is indeed the best. Or rescale it to Vita's resolution?

I'm also trying to find OFW 3.65 but no luck. I remember there was a tutorial a few months ago but can't find it anymore.
And one of the topics here showed this link but gives me 404 and or "Website is not safe to use blabla" and that on Firefox and Chrome.
It's this one:
https://darthsternie.bplaced.net/ps-vita.html

SB45

Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
I think downscaling to 544p is useful only if youre limited at disk space or if you want to store it for a long time. There two main problems with scaling - soapy lines/artifacts on bad sources and conversion time. For example - hardsubbing 25m video with 720p takes about two minutes (NVENC h264) without rescaling, and about 7 with it. And dependence on resolution and quality is not always linear - converting from 1080p could take much more time (maybe even hour or two). Also, 544p is not a true 16:9 resolution and video requires morphing (not recommended, better to use "fit in" and have almost invisible black frame).

Also, if you want to upscale something like animation with DVD/TVRip quality I totally recommend video2x (waifu2x ffmpeg) - result is much better than any other filter (like stupid billinear or lanczos3).

Last edited by SB45,
General chit-chat
Help Users
    FAST6191 @ FAST6191: Must investigate