Professional ROM Hackers?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by StormEye, Sep 27, 2016.

1. StormEye
    OP

StormEye Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Are there any professional ROM hackers that provide services for hacking ROMs?

There seems to be quite a number of requests for hacking that probably will never be addressed as it is impossible for someone to work for free and work on all these requests.

I am just wondering if there are any professional hackers and the methods of getting in contact with them to pay for the ROM hacking service.

I am not sure whether asking this violates ToS of this forum, so if it does indeed violate ToS, then I would like to request this topic to be closed/deleted.

Thank you.

2. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    There's no real group of "professional" hackers, just groups of people working on professional level.
    Still, there's a lot of requests, but not a lot of people dedicated to taking up these tasks, mostly because it's voluntary job with very little pay off. And paying them gets into some nasty copyright gray areas and increases the risk of getting a cease and desist.

3. gryz

gryz GBAtemp Fan

May 26, 2016
    United States
    Depends on the game and what exactly you want. Most people won't accept payment(easy copyright flag) Not saying I'm interested as I'm busy with my own Smash 4 mod for 3ds and Wii U, I'm just curious what game you wanted to hack and what exactly you want to do.

4. StormEye
    OP

StormEye Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I would not know the amount of work that may be required to do this but at least I would assume it is something simple enough by more experienced hackers.

Currently, the game that I would like some modding is Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.
    The content I wish that is modified is a removal of any restriction imposed on Battle Maison so that any pokemon (Legendary, Banned, Hacked, whatever) and any item (I think only one item is banned, Soul Dew) can be used.

Other minor optional details that I might want is Busty May mod, but thats not an important change, and I assume that can be done on an amateur/casual level.

5. Mikemk

Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

Mar 26, 2015
    United States
    So you're wanting cheats.

6. gryz

gryz GBAtemp Fan

May 26, 2016
    United States
    Well modifications like those can only be done in PK3DS, so if PK3DS can't do it you're out of luck. Sadly ORAS and XY don't have that much attention paid to them. Sone minor hacks exist, but these are very minor, like text or item placement changes(difficulty hacks) or some model/texture edits. What you're asking could probably be done in PK3DS though. Hoped I helped you out!

7. StormEye
    OP

StormEye Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Thank you for informing me of the current situation.

I suppose I have to either SOMEHOW figure how to do this on my own, or wait for someone more experienced to just randomly decide to make this hack happen or decide to help me out.

8. Thelostrune

Thelostrune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 13, 2015
    Norway
    Our man Kaphotics is the guy who works on pk3DS. I believe someone requested this feature on ProjectPokemon already.

9. StormEye
    OP

StormEye Member

Newcomer
    Sep 22, 2016
    Hong Kong
    Original poster was another guy. I dug and revived that old thread.

10. xXDungeon_CrawlerXx

xXDungeon_CrawlerXx GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 29, 2015
    Liverpool
    I was a professional ROM Hacker some time ago (Translating Games, Modifying Music, Models, Code and stuff) but now, I'm working with UnityForN3DS and UnityForWiiU to create my own game.

11. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    Advertising such jobs/paid requests is not going to fly here. Too much chance of legal heat and generally some drama.

Beyond that then what are intending to offer? A beer or two type money is one thing but some industrial/engineering/whatever plant calls me up tomorrow and says we need you to take this embedded device we have no code for and change how some things work for us and that is not a cheap service. Granted prices there are knowing that they are looking at serious money to replace the item with a newer one that does what they want, or they are losing serious money with the machine being if not down then incapable and you can charge accordingly.

You occasionally see ROM hackers recruited by companies when they are putting out collections of older games they might not have source, and similar stories will probably happen as companies seem to want to add achievements and challenge modes (assuming Sony has not locked obviousness like this up in their patents like we saw the other year). There is also this little interesting article I saw linked the other day http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ified-that-summer-i-played-230-game-boy-games

Wrathalos and Thelostrune like this.