Wafuu~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently working on getting some money over the summer for an upgrade, but I don't really know which one whould be upgraded, the processor or graphics card. I usually only play CoD4 at lowish settings and at 800 X 600 resolution. A few other games will be occasional. I might be getting UT3 also. I've played the demo and it runs 30 FPS exactly in low/medium settings. After blasting and jumping a few times, it doesn't spike/jump around like CoD4. I most likely will need both eventually though. My power supply though... I'm not sure about. I heard it was like 300W but that's kind of low isn't it? It's an eMachines T5226.
Anyways, here are my specs processor and graphics specs:
Processor: Pentium D with 2 CPUs at 3.0 Ghz
Graphics Card: ATI HD 2400 XT
I'm likely not to get anything till half a year to next year so recommending stuff might not be great as of now. So I do have 1 PCI-E 16X slot and I think it was LGA 775 socket because that's what the Pentium D uses? Thanks.
Also, another question about VGA to DVI dongles/adapters. Are they compatible with all graphics cards? Mine come with the 2400 and says HD 2000 series, but I don't see why it wouldn't work on other graphics cards. I only have a VGA monitor. Most of the graphics cards I'm seeing have 2 HDMI but come with 1 VGA to DVI I believe. Oops, had HDMI confused with VGA =/

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thats not the only thing thats slowing you down... could also be your motherboard, and potentially your hard drive.

But games like cod4 dont use much processing power... usually... so I would get a graphics card. Considering you only have a 300W PSU, I think you can only power either a 8600gt or a 8500gt.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Oh. Perhaps I should post my motherboard and hard drive too? My computer is only a year old. I'm not actually too sure how to check what hard drive it is but it seems to run pretty well if you asked me. I am actually willing to buy a new PSU though. I don't think I'l need a 900 or 700 Watt one though. Maybe around 500? Keep in mind that I might also play UT 3 and maybe I'll also get SC2 if it works. I might need a new processor then. Over all, I'd probably have to get all 3 done. =/
Manufacturer: eMachines T5226
Processor: Intel Pentium D 925 3.0 GHZ w/ 2cpus
L2 Cache: 4 MB ( 2 x 2 MB )
Chipset: Intel® 945G Intel Website
Memory: 2.5 GB One is a 512 that came with it. The other is a 2 GB. They are both the same speed(533 MHz).
Hard Drive: 250 GB Total - 135 GB (Vista) Hard Drive 1 x 250 GB - Standard - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
Video Card: ATI HD2400 XT - Gigabyte
Sound Card: Integrated SigmaTel High Definition Audio (5.1)
Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Some of it was taken off of these 2 sites: CNet eMachines
I'll most likely buy either a Processor(Core2Duo?) or a Graphics card with a power supply. I'm pretty sure my other parts are fine. Starcraft 2, UT3, and CoD4 are what I'm planning for. It just needs to be pretty decent. Right not it's just in the lower settings.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
nVidia lately campaigned with some tests that an expensive graphics card is much better than an expensive processor when it comes to games.

E.g. Q6600 + 8400GS
performs much worse than
E4500 + 8800GT

or something like that.

Go into device manager (My Computer, Properties, Hardware) and the listed hardware should at least have model numbers.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xJonny said:
nVidia lately campaigned with some tests that an expensive graphics card is much better than an expensive processor when it comes to games.
Its also common sense.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Good point but by much better they didn't mean just a bit better.

Anyway, most graphics cards I've seen have 2xDVI or 1xDVI,1xVGA for the cheaper ones.

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Linkiboy said:
Considering you only have a 300W PSU, I think you can only power either a 8600gt or a 8500gt.

He's gonna need to update that PSU if he intends on running a 8600. I had a 350 watt PSU and it wouldn't power my 7600GT. So I got a 500W that did the trick. It's still holding up with the 9600GT I have now.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Depends on the PSU entirely.

Some cheap PSUs rated at 600W will struggle to run something a decent branded 400W will.

Brands which have good PSUs include Corsair, OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, Silverstone, Seasonic, Enermax, Coolermaster, Gigabyte, Thermaltake although some of them aren't great for gamers.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If gaming's your thing, then graphics card is what will help you most.

Although I'm sure Starcraft 2 will run no matter what you have, given Blizzard's reputation.

fenthwick

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Most dual-core CPUs will do for a while. But the GPUs are what need upgrading now a days in games. So get a new GPU but make sure you have a good PSU.

superrob

H4X H4X H4X!
Trophies
Website
zabbo.dk
XP
Country
Well i would say go for a 8800GT they are cheap and gives outstanding performance
biggrin.gif

I love my 8800GT and my Q6600

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I swear I though I saw Pentium 4, not D. Yeah, its your graphics. Pentium D will be fine for most current gen games.

But you'll need to upgrade your PSU too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo