Problems With NTSC Wads on PAL Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Baden, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Baden
    OP

Baden Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2017
    Australia
    So recently I got back into modding my Wii, and I decided I wanted to install some more Virtual Console wads. Previously the only VC wads I had installed were SMB2, SMB2 The Lost Levels, SMB3, and Mario Kart 64, which I'm pretty sure were all PAL when I downloaded them.

However now I can hardly seem to find any PAL VC wads, but I did find a heap of NTSC wads which I downloaded. I picked out a few and converted them to PAL using Free The Wads GUI, and installed them on my Wii using YAWMM. Some of them, namely Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, and Pokemon Snap appear to be working, as the "You will need the Classic Controller" screen comes up (I haven't actually got a classic controller yet to know for sure, but I have ordered one).

Some others like SMB, SMW, Sonic the Hedgehog, and Excitebike aren't working at all though. When I start the channel the screen goes black, the Wiimote won't sync and I have to hold down the power button on the Wii to turn it off. I've tried converting them to Region Free and leaving them NTSC, but nothing works. I also have Priiloader installed with "Region Free Channels" enabled, btw.

If someone has a solution to my problem that would be great.

2. Aggelos1

Aggelos1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2017
    Greece
    Try using ShowMiiWADs
    Homebrew http://wiibrew.org/wiki/ShowMiiWads
    Windows https://storage.googleapis.com/google-code-archive-downloads/v2/code.google.com/showmiiwads/ShowMiiWads%201.4.rar

Heres how to use the Windows Version! Its more stable than the Wii one

Once you open it up, open the folder with your WAS file in it from the toolbar.
    The WAS will show up in the table.
    You can right click on the WAD, Go to "Change Region" and click PAL
    It should be done in 1-2 Minutes.
    When done, you can freely take your USB/SD and plug it on the Wii
    Install the WAD using Wii Mod Lite! https://github.com/RiiConnect24/Wii-Mod-Lite/releases/download/v1.7/WiiModLite_v1.7.zip
    Its more stable than WAD Manager.
    Done'd!
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Truchen likes this.
  3. Baden
    OP

Baden Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 16, 2017
    Australia
    I did what you said by changing the regions using ShowMiiWads instead of FreeTheWads, and installing the Wads with Wii Mod Lite instead of Yet Another Wad Manager Mod. Unfortunately when I load the channel I get the same result, black screen, no response, have to hold the power button on the Wii.

I only tried installing 2 Wads with Wii Mod Lite though, because after when I tried to go back to the main menu of Wii Mod everything would freeze, which I assume is not meant to happen, So I tried installing 3 other Wads with YAWMM again but as I said, no luck.

I might also add - when I start up YAWMM it says HW_AHBPROT is disabled and asks if I want to load another IOS instead... I've been selecting 'no' but should I be choosing IOS 249 instead?

4. Aggelos1

Aggelos1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2017
    Greece
    Hm thats interesting.
    So quick answer
    1) Choose IOS249 or IOS80
    2) Do a NAND backup (if you have a NAND dump)

Also, what system version are you?
    4.1? 4.2? 4.3?

:thinking: