Homebrew problems installing apps/games on external USB drive

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just to add some input, i had various drive problems on my Wii U in vWii mode, until i get the y cable. emuNAND wouldn't dump, games wouldn't load, but once i changed the Y cable, everything started to work. i was using a sata ssd in an usb c enclosure, but switched enclosures

szlovak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
There are few things more that can be done:
-use producer's software for diagnosing drive, scandisk is not enough
-use USB current meter that can bought cheap on internet to see what is that current, compare between drives
-read label on drive. Drive that has 1A current most likely will never work without Y cable. If it works without then probably you might be on the edge of acceptable current that may fail anytime resulting in countless phenomena

Sypherone

Gaming Ninja
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
use producer's software for diagnosing drive, scandisk is not enough
in Powershell the command chkdsk <driveletter>: /r . It will check and repair the filesystem (logical errors) and also corrupt written sektors (physical errors) and restores readable information by replacing them with reserve sectors.

(Additional) : You may check the empty drive for corrupt sectors with h2testw and perform a full write and read test, but takes lot of time.

The drives have a "Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology" (S.M.A.R.T.) inside which stores a lot of information. And give good info about the drive condition. CrystalDiskInfo can be used to read them out.

Drive that has 1A current most likely will never work without Y cable.
USB Specifications :
1677927245945.png

The Wii and WiiU uses USB 2.0 Ports.
  • A portable USB drive that is specified to be used on USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 can theoretically run without Y-Cable.
  • A only USB 3.0/3.1 will need a Y-Cable. The max draw is 0.9 mA and two ports will give 1 A.
  • A drive used on Wii without Y-Cable might need one on WiiU, as the ports are strong limited to 500mA output.
    • Possible error indication : The drive spins up and is recognized, but the USBLGX user interface shows no games and stops responding.

Glomgold

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
WUP Installer GX2 got stuck today installing Wii Party U, original game dumped with WUDD, the folder name was Party U. I let it sit for around 15 minutes, showing 0/0 in the status bar. I turned off the console, I didn't find a way to exit to HBL. Tried NUSspli, it first started uninstalling Party U and then installed without incident.

Maybe WUP installed in the background even though there was no progress showing? Should I have waited longer?

My external storage is a SSD with Y-cable, I don't see any issue there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRVIC7kS4s