Problems during update

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by selph, Apr 16, 2017.

1. selph
    OP

selph Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    I'll try to be as much clear as possible:
    After updating my 3ds it wouldn't boot, giving me a black screen, so i thought that i should update a9lh too. I go to https://3ds.guide/updating-a9lh and follow the guide, but at Section IV - CTRNAND Luma3DS turns out, it won't boot luma3ds chainloader when holding start. What can i do? should i try change the filename of godmode9 to start_godmode9 like i had to do the first time i used hourglass?

2. pixelmasher

pixelmasher Gaming Gamer

Dec 12, 2016
    United States
    Near N3DS
    Did you put your GodMode9 into /rw/luma/payloads/?

3. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    Update A9LH? Why didn't you try to update Luma3DS first?

I wasn't even aware that updating A9LH was something you'd have to eventually do and honestly I doubt it is. Even if you have an ancient A9LH it should work, but SD-less boot isn't supported on that version. You still could just try updating Luma. Grab a hourly, put arm9loaderhax.bin on the root of SD card and try booting normally.

selph likes this.
  4. selph
    OP

selph Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Solved now: i had to put "start_" before the name and i could continue now.
    Now i was able to complete the process, but it tells me:
    "Use the (A) button and the D-Pad to turn on the following:
    “Show NAND or user string in System Settings”
    Do i have to leave only that (no "autoboot sysnand" or anything) checked? because if i do that it still gives me a black screen.

I thought i had to update a9lh too. Can i still update luma at this point?

5. Distrance

Distrance 矢澤にこ

Nov 23, 2008
    Finland
    Luma was all you needed to do. I wouldn't mess with updating A9LH because you're messing with your sysNAND, and if A9LH becomes corrupted your console is done. But you updated it. And it still works because Luma etc works. Yes, update Luma. I linked you the hourlies page.

The common rule is that when a new system update is released, update luma first. If you have Luma3DSUpdater installed on your console you can use that to download the latest hourly.

selph likes this.
  6. selph
    OP

selph Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 16, 2017
    United States
    Thanks for the help! everything works now. I'll remember it for the future.

Distrance likes this.