Problems dumping Final Fantasy III

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by cain05, Feb 15, 2011.

1. cain05
    OP

cain05 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2011
    Canada
    I'm in the processes of dumping my games with NDS Backup Tool Wifi so I can play them on my Acekard 2i but I'm having problems getting Final Fantasy III to work. I'm using a DS Lite with an Acekard 2i using AKAIO 1.8.5. When I try to run the rom it shows the first couple of screens with the company logo and then I get a black screen and nothing else. I get the same result whether or not I use a trimmed rom. I have yet to load the rom up in an emulator but I plan on trying that tonight. All the other roms I dumped seem to work fine so I don't know if it's a problem with NDS Backup Tool or maybe it's with AKAIO. Has anyone had similar problems with this game or another?

2. Freek

Freek Member

Newcomer
    Nov 22, 2010
    United States
    So i had this same issue...ak2i running 1.8.5a

come to find out it was my SD card...it was too slow...swapped cards and it works...also if u want to continue to use the same sd card you have...once u see the company screens...just hit A and keep hitting it and it will get to the main menu

the black screens are the intro video not being able to play due to a slow read time on the sd card

3. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

Oct 11, 2010
    Away from you.
    You, sir, are an idiot.

By the way, I, being fail at Français, would not order from a site that says "cartes pour ds lite ak2 version noel".

EDIT: From what French I do know, "cards for DS lite Ak2 Christmas version"???

Seriously?

4. cain05
    OP

cain05 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 15, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah I ended up finding that out in another thread. I guess I'll have to look for a better SD card to make sure I don't run into issues with other games as well.

5. Depravo

Depravo KALSARIKÄNNIT

Global Moderator
    GBAtemp Patron
    Depravo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 13, 2008
    Purgatory
    You're quite right but they were in fact genuine. The cart was exactly the same, it was only the packaging that was Christmas'd up a notch.

6. twiztidsinz

twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

Dec 23, 2008
    United States
    Have you tried 1.8.5a? It supposedly works better on slower MicroSDs. Though I'm not sure it would solve your problem, I can't see it hurting.
    You put it ontop of 1.8.5 and choose to overwrite files if asked.

7. rave420

rave420 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2010
    Canada
    1.8.5a does NOT supposedly work better on slower MicroSD's.

it fixed the "Ak4menu not found" error message 1/2 of the people ran into when upgrading. It's needed for certain combinations of brands of microsd's and AK revisions.

The functionality is 1:1 the same, with exception of fixing the error on startup.

8. rave420

rave420 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 21, 2010
    Canada

9. Evo.lve

Evo.lve All that you could be.

Oct 11, 2010
    Away from you.
    I don't know enough French to know a bit of what you said, but I got the gist of it. I think.