Problems downgrading IOS from 4.0

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by sYph0n, Mar 30, 2009.

Mar 30, 2009
  1. sYph0n
    OP

Newcomer sYph0n Member

Germany
    Hi there,

As i was not successfull with applying Waninkoko's 4.0 Firmware Updater - the connection kept crashing over and over - I found an alternate method which said you should Install and Patch IOS60, then upgrade to 4.0 via official Wii Update, and then run IOS Downgrader to enable Trucha again. IOS60 went well (after some attempts because the connection just crashed nearly everytime when downloading), 4.0 Upgrade was no Problem, but I cannot downgrade IOS. At the first attempt it downloaded and installed almost all IOS, but some didn't because of Error ret= -1017, whatever that means.
    Tried it again, the first IOS installs, all coming fail with 1017. I didn't realize yet what that means for me, except I cannot install StarPatch 4.0 - homebrew and trucha wad's run without any problem, didn't try installing wads.

HBC and CIOS was of course installed beforehand on 3.2

What can I do to downgrade my IOS? Do I need to install IOS16 again, like I needed when downgrading vom 3.4 to 3.2 as a first step before IOS Downgrading? And does this unsuccessfull attempt to downgrade the IOS stand in any relation to StarPatch not working? Or is my only opportunity killing that 4.0 sob and going back to 3.2E?

[​IMG]

2. kongsnutz

Member kongsnutz QuickTimeEvent

Australia
    2 possibilities:

It's a space issue.......... because it downloads stuff before installing........make sure you have about 500 blocks on wii memory.

or it's a network issue..........try moving the wii closer to the router disabling any firewalls

3. sYph0n
    OP

Newcomer sYph0n Member

Germany
    Just saw sometimes it Errors with ret=-1 but I think that are these which are already installed.

I have about 800 blocks free. Strange thing was, the wii downgraded without any network errors two weeks before at the exact same position as it's standing now, and it has two out of three wlan quality. downloading the official update via nintendo was also absolutely no problem, loaded for 20 minutes without errors.

What do I need IOS downgrade for anyway?

PS: Starpatch also errors with 1017.

I just tried to install an unsigned wad, that also works. I just can't realize what I need that Downgrade for anyway. Except that this freaking StarPatch doesn't work.

4. kongsnutz

Australia

IOSdowngrade is needed to run some Trucha patched games via the disc channel using a mod that atm doesn't really work on 4.0 or a modchip

trucha patched games include, Region Freed games, Custom Guitar hero, texture Mods on a game and basically anything that isn't a 1:1 copy of the original disc.

However these disc's can be run from Backuplauncher anyway without downgrading IOS.

BTW ret =-1 means it can't read you SD card.........so that's wierd

5. sYph0n
    OP

Newcomer sYph0n Member

Germany
    Ah. Then screw it. Backups also work and I am using Backuplauncher anyway. I just can't install that freakin StarPatch, which annoys me because I want to get rid of the Health screen.

6. kongsnutz

Australia
    Try tracking down a IOS36-64-1042.wad and install that as is.......it's an old trucha signed IOS36 (not a cios so dont worry)

The downgrader will call IOS36 as well in your system........just give it a go nothing bad can happen except it doesnt help.

Would be good too know if that works

7. sYph0n
    OP

Newcomer sYph0n Member

Germany
    Blimey. That worked. Starpatch applied. Big thanks! Should be added somewhere in a FAQ or something.

8. kongsnutz

Australia
    It was just a hunch since you updated to 4.0 that would of un-trucha patched IOS36 making any downgraders impossible..........awwwww i just figured out why the IOS60 online installer doesn't work.................it's bad news for them i'm affriad.....

OH well glad to help you

9. Zenith94

Member Zenith94 1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz

United States
    Wait I have 4.0U and I can't install any cIOS or WADs! I keep getting an error! I tried every wad I could find but nothing works. Please, I really wanna try and either downgrade to 3.2U or install the cIOS to run the backup launcher.

10. kongsnutz

Australia
    Sorry reckless without CIOS already installed there is no way!!

11. Zenith94

Member Zenith94 1337 h4x0r f0r t3h w1nz

United States
    Really? Iam sure someone is working on a way around it, is there?

12. kongsnutz

Australia

Yes they are working on a way to install HBC on 4.0 but because nintendo blocked IOS16 and any trucha bugs if you don't already have a CIOS installed not even HBC will save you......i'm sure someone is working on a way around it but.....even on 3.3/3.4 we had to use IOS16 to run wad manager since this was a REAL signed nintendo wad that allowed trucha things to be used.......but since we can't do that anymore 4.0 is screwed for now.

If you had CIOS, HBC and IOS60 patched before updating you were fine....... just not a fresh install.

There won't be a quick solution any time soon.