Problem with the NES Zapper

adamshinoda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Okay, so I got an NES, a Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt cartridge and a flatscreen CRT TV (I repeat: it's a CRT TV). The first Zapper I used to play Duck Hunt didn't work. It did NOTHING AT ALL when I pulled the trigger: At the menu screen, I point the gun away from the TV to select the game mode and the cursor just stood still; it can't shoot the ducks in the game. I thought the gun was broken and get another one.

This time, nothing changed ! The same exact thing happened with the second Zapper.

Well, now I guess the problem is not the Zapper itself. Can somebody help me with this case?

Zeliga

One step closer.
Trophies
XP
Country
Im not really good with NES accessories but from what I heard you have to be in a dark room *not too dark* and then play?
PS: Try it and tell me if it working or not :D

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IIRC it doesn't work with flatscreen CRTs.

Be careful if you want to play light gun games, some more modern flat screen CRTs don't work. Some have a scan feature (I forget the technical name) the processes low res images to a cleaner image. This processing takes a few milliseconds but it screws up the timing required for light gun operation. I almost bought one, but I tested it out with my light gun and found it didn't work and so I passed. On the model I was looking this feature couldn't be disabled so it would have been no better to me than a non-CRT television.
Source: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12779

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Iirc, you could also point it at a lightbulb and it would work perfectly fine...
This is only partially correct - the "effectiveness" of this method depends on the logic used to detect hits in-game. Some games only check the gun diode once, others do some crazy intervals to check if you're "not cheating" and some make several checks across a few blanks to check which target you're actually shooting (and if it turns out that you're shooting all targets at once, as it would be the case with pointing at a lightbulb, the shot is deemed invalid) so some games will accept a lightbulb and some won't.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
This is only partially correct - the "effectiveness" of this method depends on the logic used to detect hits in-game. Some games only check the gun diode once, others do some crazy intervals to check if you're "not cheating" and some make several checks across a few blanks to check which target you're actually shooting (and if it turns out that you're shooting all targets at once, as it would be the case with pointing at a lightbulb, the shot is deemed invalid) so some games will accept a lightbulb and some won't.

Well I only heard it working with Duckhunt.
Then again, I never had a zapper so I never could test it out ;p
Seeing I now finally got an HDTelly, I prolly will not ever get one (also complete lack of Zapper supported games)

Reactions: javanni9972

javanni9972

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I only heard it working with Duckhunt.
Then again, I never had a zapper so I never could test it out ;p
Seeing I now finally got an HDTelly, I prolly will not ever get one (also complete lack of Zapper supported games)

It does work with duck hunt but 9 out of 10 times I couldn't shoot a duck by doing that

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse