Hacking Problem with my MicroSD

MrDillDough

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
So on my Micro SD card I have M3 Sakura Firmware. When I turn on my DS, with the flashcard in of course, it loads up to the part with the M3 Sakura logo in the right bottom corner of the screen with a black background. Then all of a sudden, it freezes at this point.

At first, I thought that my M3 was just dusty at the back so I removed it from the slot and blew it. I placed it back in and tried again, but to no avail. I tried this once or twice more just to be sure but it would most definitely still not work.

Then my second problem came when I tried to check my Micro SD on my computer. My computer did not recognise my card when I put it in. By this I mean that nothing came up. I pulled it out and plugged it back in several times and checking different USB ports as well, but it wouldn't work.

Could someone help me, please? I'm just not sure what to do now.
frown.gif

The last thing I remember being able to do with my Micro SD plugged to my computer was putting a patched version of a game on and so I think that the game that I put on is the problem.

shadow999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It seems likely that you have a fried MicroSD card or a fried card reader.

If you are using the card reader that was supplied with the M3 Real, there have been reports that these cheap card readers can cause MicroSD cards to fry. However it is sort of hit and miss, some people have no problem while others get the problem after some time.

First I would check with a different card reader. Possibly try formatting the card with a mobile phone or a similar device. If the mobile phone can see the card, then the card is fine.

If the mobile phone can not detect the card, then the problem is with the MicroSD card. The solution is to get a new one and possibly a new card reader because it is likely that it caused the MicroSD card to become faulty.

If the problem is with the card reader, getting a new one is the solution.

Kittymat

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
One thing to try is - try and format the SD in a dumb device (camera or basic phone) see if you can recover the SD

If not you will need another SD

Next time use the paper shim trick when using the M3Real - I have found most M3's need it as they suffer from poor contact as the circuit board is too thin. The easiest way to fry an SD card is to pull it out while it is communicating, if you suffer from poor contact with the M3 card this can happen when it is booting up.

I now open up the M3 and place 3 layers of electrical tape on the back of the contacts to push it closer to the DS's contacts. I used to find that even when the M3 was working, if the DS got a slight knock the game would freeze - now using the electrical tape it is imune to all but the sharpest of knocks.

xjenova

Trophies
XP
Country
MrDillDough said:
So on my Micro SD card I have M3 Sakura Firmware. When I turn on my DS, with the flashcard in of course, it loads up to the part with the M3 Sakura logo in the right bottom corner of the screen with a black background. Then all of a sudden, it freezes at this point.

At first, I thought that my M3 was just dusty at the back so I removed it from the slot and blew it. I placed it back in and tried again, but to no avail. I tried this once or twice more just to be sure but it would most definitely still not work.

Then my second problem came when I tried to check my Micro SD on my computer. My computer did not recognise my card when I put it in. By this I mean that nothing came up. I pulled it out and plugged it back in several times and checking different USB ports as well, but it wouldn't work.

Could someone help me, please? I'm just not sure what to do now.
frown.gif

The last thing I remember being able to do with my Micro SD plugged to my computer was putting a patched version of a game on and so I think that the game that I put on is the problem.

Hmm... your problem is so similar to the one i had with my old card. One night, i transferred ouendan to my card and proceeded to play a bit of it and when i was about to turn off my pc i realized dragon quest 5 had been dumped. So i put it in once again to transfer the game after it downloaded and when i tried playing it the game had MID: Error instead of lines of dialog. I then put it back into my computer so i could erase the game and the save it created and transfer it again to my card but it wouldnt let me access it.

Strange thing is that earlier that night i had one of those viruses that wont let you open your card by double clicking it on My Computer, but it had different file names and different number of files, sort of like a different version of the same virus. I guess i was lucky since my card "revived" for a moment and i was able to transfer my save files before becoming completely unaccessible. My pc, or my friend's, wont even recognize the card as well as a camera i have here so formatting is no longer an option.

It was a strange night indeed... I just hope your problem isn't as bad as mine was... I also would like to know exactly what happened. It may have been that i used the reader that came with the M3 real, which died after about 5 uses, and it messed up my card somehow. The thought even passed through my mind that Sakura was responsible for it but i really doubt it (this happened on the first official version of english sakura by the way, the one that had the broken morning timer). Could the demised be caused by me running the morning timer that came with the first version of the official english sakura? Also, which version of sakura were you using at the moment?

Stiff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I run sakura and my micro card did this to me once. Couldn't get anything to read it at first. Tried multiple card readers. I finally tried putting it in my printer's card reader and viola, I could see it.

I never got the original USB adapter that came my M3 to work. After getting it to work in my printer at home, I also found an IOGEAR 7 in 1 mini card reader that also worked with it. So now I just use those. I've also found that if you do not have a camera or cell phone that can read microsd when you want to format a messed up card, try using a wii or ps3 to format it.

MrDillDough

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
It was a strange night indeed... I just hope your problem isn't as bad as mine was... I also would like to know exactly what happened. It may have been that i used the reader that came with the M3 real, which died after about 5 uses, and it messed up my card somehow. The thought even passed through my mind that Sakura was responsible for it but i really doubt it (this happened on the first official version of english sakura by the way, the one that had the broken morning timer). Could the demised be caused by me running the morning timer that came with the first version of the official english sakura? Also, which version of sakura were you using at the moment?

I was using v1.34 M3 Sakura. It was in Russian but it worked perfectly fine for me.

QUOTEPlease tell me you did not use the supplied MicroSDHC Card Reader... those things are notorious--no matter which flash cartridge company supplies them--for corrupting cards.

Rofl, nah. I'm not using a Card Reader supplied by them.

But even if my Micro SD is fried, its not too bad. I got it off my friend, including an M3 Real for $20 all up.
smile.gif

So xjenova, how exactly, if you managed too, did you read your Micro SD? Or did you just buy a new one? :S

xjenova

Trophies
XP
Country
I had to buy a new one
frown.gif
But i am kind of glad it died on me since i was kinda already looking for something to force me to buy a 4GB one. I ended up buying a transcend class 6 off amazon for about 10 dollars (including shipping) and i am really happy now
smile.gif

But still, i kind of wish my old card worked so i can use it as a spare or to load it up with videos to watch on my DS. I always thought about having one card for videos and another just for games.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse