Problem with EZ-Flash V 3-in-1

Discussion in 'EZ-Flash' started by Tamhvm, Sep 2, 2010.

Sep 2, 2010

Problem with EZ-Flash V 3-in-1 by Tamhvm at 9:33 PM (1,786 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Tamhvm
    OP

Newcomer Tamhvm Member

Colombia
    Hello everyone,

I'm more of a casual visitor on GBATemp, and I have read a lot of topics about this but I can't find the solution.
    About one or two months ago I bought a EZ-Flash V 3-in-1 from ShopTemp (together with a nice Acekard2i). I recently (7 days) received it in my house (yes, it took a LOT of time to arrive).
    The acekard works wonderfully, but the 3-in-1 behavior is really weird. I'm using AkAIO 1.7.1.
    [​IMG]

First, I started using really common games, like F-Zero Maximum Velocity (pre-save-type-patched with EZ4Client). The game runs perfectly out of AkAIO.
    I played perfectly a whole cup, checked out rankings and restarted. AkAIO asked me to save the GBA SAV, I accept.
    Then, I tried with Super Mario Bros Advance (also patched). The game runs off perfectly, I play for a while, check that it actually saved and then restart the DS by storing the SAV.
    However, when I run again F-Zero MV, my save game is lost! I restarted without creating a new game and ran SMBA again, the save game stays there. But if I save a F-Zero game again, SMBA loses it's save game.

At first I thought it was a discharged battery (as several topic pointd out to), so I opened it up and tested it: only 1V. So, I proceeded to follow the instructions in other forum thread (actually I downloaded the PDF version from FileTrip). I changed the battery: perfect 3V.
    [​IMG]
    Retried the same procedure, to no avail.

Second, I looked up and found out that I could use GBAExploader. So, I tried using it, but after loading a game, the NDS stays with white screens, if it loads at all. Sometimes, it just locks up on the loading screen.

Third, I searched again and I found out I could use NOR to store a GBA game and run it off the NDS main menu. So using AkAIO, I tried to store the ROM in NOR. The process starts, but when filling the first or two pixels out the progress bar, it gets stuck. The AkAIO clock colon indicator still blinks nevertheless, so the DS is not locked up (albeit all other functions (brightness) are locked). So, using GBAExpLoader, I press R and start NOR mode. The process starts and gets stuck in 1 or 2%. So, I ruled out NOR.

Fourth, I tried the rumble pack, works perfectly. I tried the memory expansion with NDS Browser, and works perfectly.

So, in the middle of this desperation, I started testing every GBA testing program I could find in FileTrip:

- GBALdr: Gets stuck at 0% when writing NOR.
    - NDS Backup Tool 3-in-1+: Doesn't recognizes the GBA expansion.
    - Cory1492 Test: This occurs:
    [​IMG]

So then I took this picture of the PCB, wondering if something is wrong (gives out EZ5C11):
    [​IMG]
    (which together with Cory1492 test, and the proof from GBAExploader, gives me that the 3-in-1 is actually version 1)

Do you know what can I do in this particular case (besides the "only play one GBA game at a time" solution, which seems to work)?
    Thank you a lot for your time.

P.S. It's physically impossible for me to resend this item back to ShopTemp for warranty (well, if changing that battery didn't blow up my warranty already). That only would cost me about twice of what I paid for both items.

P.S.2. I took those pictures right now, not in the moment I did what I said.

2. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    It is most likely damaged, you probably bought a 3in1 that was sent back to shoptemp by a previous user who went and swapped out thier defective 3in1 for a new one. You got screwed by someone too cheap to buy a new one.

Swapping out the battery yourself makes it non-returnable. You should buy from somewhere else then.

3. Tamhvm
    OP

Newcomer Tamhvm Member

Colombia
    Thanks how_do_i_do_that... It's as expected as I thought.
    Well, nevertheless I'll try finding that 3-in-1 in other place, so for now, I'm gonna play a game at a time.
    I find it a bit sad that ShopTemp is selling old/warranty-returned stuff as for new stuff.

4. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    I don't think they are, it probably was just a mistake.

For future reference, you don't need to patch GBA games. AKAIO does it automatically. As for GBAExploader, you need to snag the ak2_sd.dldi from the official firmware and paste i into SD:\__aio, overwriting the existing file. This should give better homebrew compatibility with GBAExploader and other homebrew. Nevertheless, your 3in1 still seems damaged in some way.

5. SixtySixHundred

Member SixtySixHundred GBAtemp Fan

United Kingdom
    'Mistake' or not, it's unforgivable! I'm currently waiting on an order from shoptemp. It will be my last...

6. Tamhvm
    OP

Newcomer Tamhvm Member

Colombia
    I would like to have a word: I never meant to badmouth ShopTemp... I have enjoyed the acekard2i completely (it's original and everything), but I only think they should be more careful with their merchandise.
    They say that they run tests on every merchandise they deliver, but in my case I think they never thought of a case like this one.
    Who would have guess that a problem could arise like that?

7. how_do_i_do_that

Member how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

Antarctica
    It is not bad mouthing shoptemp. I am bad mouthing a previous user who used the system to basically upgrade his crap at the expense of another persion. know the difference.

8. Tamhvm
    OP

Newcomer Tamhvm Member

Colombia
    I know the difference... But I was reacting to SixtySixHundred comment.
    If that user tricked the system to get a new product and I was the unlucky recipient of his old product, I already accepted that. Nothing to do there.
    In this moment, I just want for ShopTemp to be more careful with the tests they do to their products before shipping.

9. Tamhvm
    OP

Newcomer Tamhvm Member

Colombia
    Sorry for the double post, but I think it's of good interest for the discussion.
    It seems (weirdly) that the official last version of GBA Exploader (0.58b) has problems writing to my 3in1 save SRAM. I did what Hakoda said (updating the DLDI patcher with the official version), and I still had those problems.
    However, I started testing the "new" patched versions, and the 0.58b0MX uploaded by how_do_i_do_that at least lets me play different games now (with no save file loss, weirdly, because AFAIK it's just a really minor patch for NOR and support for M3 and iTouch). The Write to NOR still crashes with that version.
    Anyway, I got a response from ShopTemp asking if I could send the product for warranty. I replied asking several questions (mainly about warranty and my forfeiting because of the battery change) and I'm now waiting for theirs.
    So, thanks all, I'll keep you in touch if something new happens.