gumandpok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
When I load Dios Mios (DM) 2.6, I just get a black screen
I've managed to get Dios Mios Lite (DML) 2.6 to work ok. I just don't like the fact that it copies the game from my HD to my SD to play the game.

DML has always worked but never DM. The HD I'm assuming must be setup correctly as well as USB CFG otherwise DML wouldn't work.

Running 4.3 wii
USB CFG 70R51
Installed DM TO IOS236
Using Animal Crossing as a test since it is small in size
Tried with disk in drive and without.
Tried from DM 2.0-2.6

Any suggestions what I'm missing here

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
DM can't be installed "TO" IOS236 slot, it's installed into "MIOS" slot.
IOS236 is the IOS you used to install DIOS MIOS into MIOS slot, but DIOS MIOS is not installed into the slot 236.

Maybe your HDD is not correctly setup, or is just incompatible.

You need:
• Games must be on the first physical partition on the drive (MBR needed? I'll test DM with partition without a table)
• The partition must be in FAT32
• partition must be Primary (not extended/Logical nor GPT)
• HDD must have 512Bytes per sector (HDD with 4k per sector won't work. 4k is usually used by HDD over 2TB, but can be used by smaller HDD too)
• Cluster size must be 32k bytes or less.

gumandpok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Interesting. How do you install to mios slot? What I did was install MDL to 236 and it works perfect. HD is reconized and all games play great. If I install MD to 236, just get a black screen. I'm using Wad manager 1.7. Select ios 236 and the MD 2.6. I guess that is not the same as slot.

ngelDiezFernndez

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
9esferas.es
XP
Country
Interesting. How do you install to mios slot? What I did was install MDL to 236 and it works perfect. HD is reconized and all games play great. If I install MD to 236, just get a black screen. I'm using Wad manager 1.7. Select ios 236 and the MD 2.6. I guess that is not the same as slot.
Just installing the wad. All programs recognize its a MIOS and replace the original MIOSv10.

Use WiiMod, Wad Manager, Select the cMIOS, install and thats its.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Maybe you used used slot 236 in Wad Manager while installing the DML wad you mean, not that you installed the wad ON ios236.

There are 3 possibilities why DM doesn't work.
1) As Cyan pointed out, your HDD isn't properly set up (DM is notorious in that regard it demands whan Cyan has posted in order for games to work off a HDD)
2 ) Your HDD doesn't work with DM anyway. I have 2 external HDDs myself one WD Mybook 750Gb and one Intenso 2.5'' 750GB for back up. The second one doesn't work with Dios Mios while the first works.
3) You installed DM directly over DML. Try to first unistall the DML wad, then install RVL-mios-v10.wad (the official Nintendo MIOS for GC) and THEN install DM. In my case that's what i did to get DM 2.0 working after upgrading from DML.

BTW, just to be clear DML works for loading GC games from the SD card and only that, while DM from HDD and only that.

Cyan, if you would be so kind can you please take a look at the 2 pics below?
They are the settings for my back up HDD, the one that doesn't wrk with Dios Mios. I have it as primary, 32k formatted and marked as active. I don't know about the rest, so i took a pic with printscreen, while using EASEUS partition manager on that HDD. Please take a look if you have time:
70wg80.png

o6b1wg.png

Have i done something wrong? I'm just curious why the Intenso doesn't work and the WD does with DM, while they both work perfectly otherwise (emunand, wii games, homebrews, apps, media etc).
Maybe it is because the Intenso 2.5'' is powered by the USB cable via the Wii while my WD has it's own power adapter>

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
When you run WAD Manager, it asks for a IOS to work correctly.
The IOS grant the homebrew (wad manager) access to hardware (Wii Memory, usb, sd, disc, etc.)

Once the wad manager has access to the internal Wii Memory, it can install content to it.
It loads the WAD file you select, unpack the content of the WAD to copy it the place that the WAD file is telling.

It's not the Manager not the IOS you select that decide where the WAD content is installed.
The WAD file as an information where the content will be installed.

DIOS MIOS (Lite) wad files has information like this:

copy file 0000000b.app into NAND :/title/00000001/00000101/content/0000000b.app
copy file 0000000c.app into NAND :/title/00000001/00000101/content/0000000c.app

The wad manager only do what the WAD file tells him.
The place "/title/00000001/00000101/" is the MIOS slot.

Edit:
@nakata:
I don't know if something is wrong.

Could you check your other disc and see if it's also a 0x0B or a 0x0C? (they are both FAT32, I don't know if DM has any particular requirement on the sector addressing)

gumandpok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll check out your options. I installed the DM over the DML. I didn't think it was safe to uninstall DM rather just install over it. So I will try installing the miosv10 and then DM and see what that does. A side thought. If my DML works fine with the setup of my HD and can read the games wouldn't you think that DM would also be the same. It's just the difference of where it runs it from. When I use DML the game is copied from my HD to my SD then runs it off the SD just fine. Is that the way it is suppose to work when using DML. During the process, I have tried other HD to see if that is the problem(WD 500GB, WD 3TB, 4GB FLASH) Drives set to fat32, primary 32k formatted.

nakata6790

True Player
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
^^^ Good to know, try the steps above.
If all else fails, get a 32GB HCSD and run DML. It actually has higher compatibility that DM. Also, check out Devolution loader.

P.S. Cyan it is 0B. Here is what partition manager say about WD disc:

10qcg0y.png

wthoqo.png

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
@nakata:
I don't see anything wrong on your two HDD's infos.
they are both using MBR and the same partition type (0x0B), they don't start from the same physical sector, but it shouldn't affect DM.

Without a prepoer log (with usbgecko) we can't see what's happening when DM is trying to mount your device.

@gumandpok:
I think you misunderstood something.
When you "copy to SD", it is NOT DML, but the Game loader, running in Wii mode which is doing the transfer. when the transfer is done, THEN it launch DIOS MIOS Lite.
When DIOS MIOS Lite starts it is in GameCube mode, and it check the SD card only (it never access the HDD).
DIOS MIOS Lite is not copying the file from USB to SD, it's the USBLoader which is doing it.

The compatibility of your HDD inside the USBLoader has nothing to do and does not reflect compatibility of the same HDD inside DIOS MIOS.
saying "it works with DML, it should work with DM" is wrong, as DML never access the HDD.

WiiDuDe72

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
My Wii is also 4.3U I would run SYScheck on your system and upload the file to your SD card then run ModMii and drag the file to the program and it will tell you if your IOS is up to date if not you will see files it needs and to download them to your SD card after that a readme on how to update is created and opens up in your internet browser follow the steps then your done that . then you can try reinstalling DIOSMIOS 2.6 wad and not the one that says DIOSMIOS Lite 2.6 wad with Multi-Mod Manager 13.4 and make sure the GameCube controller is not plugged in, then install WiiFlow 4.1 after you need a program called DMToolBox v0.3 to convert the game Cube ISO to work with DIOS MIOS 2.6. my HDD is fat32 and make sure the allocation unit size is 32 kilobytes.
Start DMtoolbox.exe make sure to select RAW and put a check mark on skip xNEEK files and align: with32k is used. Then look where it says GameCube ISO click on the small black folder and mount your game cube ISO animal crossing then create a new folder called GameCube ISO Converted. Then on DMToolBox look where it says output dir: and click on that small click search folder icon point it to the folder you created called GameCube ISO Converted. Then click on the install button it will then say installing GameCube game animal crossing then after it is done just click on the red x on DMToolBox and close it. now go back into the GameCube ISO converted folder you will see a folder that says GAFE01 and inside the folder you will see a game.iso file now go back out of the folder and CUT that GAFE01 folder with game.iso inside and PASTE it into the games folder on you HDD then plug your HDD back into the Wii in the USB port—the one closest to edge of the Wii and the little rubber foot (the other port is reserved for games that require USB accessories like Rock Band). now fire up the wii then startup Wiiflow click on the game cube icon and then you will see your game just download the cover for it by clicking on the BIG grey ? on the cover then click on the small gear under the star and click on download. click on the cover and start the game.

you can also convert 2 disc games like Batten Kattos it will put both ISO's in one folder with DMToolBox and when you load up wiiflow you will see 2 Grey and white Covers with Question marks that say for example Baten Kaitos and another cover with Baten Kaitos disc 2 download the covers and then click on the first cover and start the game as soon as you see insert disc 2 it automatically switches to disc 2 in wiiflow so you can keep playing the game.

have a great day .

gumandpok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I tried reloading the RVL-mios-v10.wad. Interesting enough that didn't allow me to run GC games on the wii drive. The disk just sits there with no activity. I tried using Devolution. Don't really like that fact that you need to put the specific game disk in to run the game every time even though it seems to recognize the disk then runs the copy I have on the HD.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
With Devolution you don't need to put the game in the console every time, just one time per game for verification purpose. The verification information is stored on the external device so you don't need to verify the same game twice.

gumandpok

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yes. That is the way I thought it was suppose to work as well. But it was forcing me to put in the disk every time but then would switch to the HD to actually run the game. I actually have it all running now. I updated to d2xV8 Final, put RVL-mios-v10.wad back on and now I only get prompted for the disk once. The strang thing is in using cfg usb, I downloaded devolution but don't have any of the GC games set to actually use it. Nothing in any setting files that cfg usb uses. Now to go through all my GC games and get them verified. I wonder if you can by pass that process and do some editing an add the verification info directly to the HD ??!!??

rikstr12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, thanks for all your help, based on the information provided here, I was ready to move forward and install DM for use with my USB CFG 70R51 but then I realized my Fat32 formatted HDD is set to 64k cluster. My questions are:
Do I have to back everything up and reformat to ensure I have 32k clusters? Is this absolutely necessary?
Will my Wii games still work at 32k?

Any direction will be greatly appreciated!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can convert the cluster size with a (good? not the generic Window's Disk manager) partition manager, no need to reformat the drive.
Wii games will still work.

rikstr12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cyan,
Thank you so much for the quick response! Just a few more questions if you don't mind:
If I use these instructions:http://gwht.wikidot.com/dios-mios
Do install DM on the SD card & then copy to the USB HDD? Or install it directly in the HDD?
Any ideas? Thank you in advance again!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You don't install DM on SD card, DM is installed on the Wii.
You copy the games either on SD card or on USB depending where you want to store them, and depending which from DIOS MIOS or DIOS MIOS Lite you installed on your Wii.

If you install DIOS MIOS on your Wii (using a Wad Manager): You can store and play games from USB.
If you install DIOS MIOS Lite on your Wii (still using a Wad Manager): You can store the games on USB and SD, but you can only play a game from SD. If you try to play a game stored on USB most loaders will prompt you to copy the game to SD first.

You can only have one "MIOS" at a time.
Installing another one will replace the previous version automatically.
There are different MIOS:

MIOS (official from nintendo): No backup
DIOS MIOS: backup from USB
DIOS MIOS Lite: backup from SD
cMIOS: Backup from DVD-R

rikstr12

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you again Cyan. I opened the other thread after I had asked here, thanks again for closing it and for your responses!

element73

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I did was upgraded from r1209 to r1214 of usb loader gx. Now when I try to run gamecube games via dios-mios I get the error: To run GameCube games with DIOS MIOS you need to use a partition with 32k bytes/cluser or less.

I NEVER had this problem with r1209. What is going on? Please someone explain.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
DIOS MIOS worked before?
What is your partition cluster size? (check with chkdsk)

I added a cluster size checker in the latest revision because some users used a bad size and complained about black screen or errors.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."