greator

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Does anyone has an answer why MoonShell can't play some of my mp3?

They're played too fast and some played too slow making a weird sound. This mp3 played fine in pc and other mp3 player device.

I tried re-encode the file in many ways but it doesn't work.

Please help. The new MoonShell2 didn't fix this problem, or they just didn't know about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLease do not ignore this problem guys, You might have this problem too in the future.

Purses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
greator said:
The problem is the MoonShell. NOT the MP3s. The mp3 played fine in my pc and PSP but not in MoonShell.

So there is something wrong with it.

You have clearly stated that, but you should still tell us as much about the mp3 files as possible, maybe they have crazy bitrates or something we don't know about.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Purses is right. There are plenty of ways to encode (and to fuck up) a MP3, so we need to know where exactly the problem is. Maybe it's Moonshells fault, maybe it isn't. But without knowing anything about these MP3s you're having problems with there's no way to tell.

greator

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Okay, here is the mp3s.

http://ifile.it/503gvce Example 1. This mp3 plays too slow, you can't hear anything.

http://ifile.it/aticeyr Example 2. This one plays too fast.

http://ifile.it/8jpea41 Example 3. This one plays fine. But if you listen carefully, some lyrics are muted.

I've checked the bitrate, Moonshell support all kinds of bitrate even the highest 320 VBR and CBR. Sample rate normal (44100 and 48000 both can played in moonshell) channels are joint stereo and stereo all plays fine in moonshell. But strangely only these mp3 (and more about 30 of them) can't be played.

Maybe encoder problem? I don't use mp3 encoder, most of these mp3 are downloaded from the net.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Slow download is slooooooow...

Just took me one and a half hour to get the first file with around 1.5 kByte/s.

Plays much too slow on Moonshell but okay on a PC player (Amarok in my case), too. Both Audio Identifier and Mr Questionman show it as encoded with LAME 3.97 and preset medium/V4 - which is fair enough for playback on the DS. Audacity doesn't show anything strange, too - cutoff at 17.5 kHz is pretty normal for V4, so it's also not a transcode.

To find out if it's the V4 encoding that lead to problems I encoded a V4 MP3 myself from a FLAC just to find out it plays back perfectly, so that's not the culprit.

I then transcoded the problem file with LAME and as expected playback was okay with Moonshell. But here the Twilight Zone begins... I transcoded that MP3 to V2, and while the average bitrate is higher than the source file the actual size of the transcoded file is lower! It's 6.0 MByte for the 137 kBit/s average V4 and 5.9 MByte for the 147 kBit/s V2. One would expect a slightly smaller V4 with these values, not the opposite.

Hex Editor shows some strange data in that MP3, looks pretty much like a PNG header to me (I made a screenshot with a PNG opened in comparison here). If there's a PNG embedded in the header this would explain the size difference and Moonshells choking on that particular file. Little further investigation on Wikipedia turns up a few sentences about "ID3 Chapters", which allow the embedding of supporting text and images into an MP3. This seems to be badly supported, so it may very well be the culprit in that particular issue.

Note, I'm not sure about that, but it seems very likely to me. I'm pretty sure you'll find similar artifacts in the other two MP3s you linked to, but download rate is much too slow for me to find the nerve to investigate into them, too.

greator

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Yeah, that mp3 has images embedded (album cover). But I don't think thats the problem. I just recently added the images, the problems even before I modified the 1d3 tag. (adding images)

You can try deleting the images and see if that works. Sorry for the link, i dont like rapid and megaupload. I use ip sharing and cant access them.

enarky

owls?
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Remove these images, write a new header with a program that is not promoting the AAC format (ie, nothing made by Apple, be it Quicktime or iTunes). The encoding itself (with the single file I've tested) seems to be fine, that's the only difference to a standard MP3 that I can make out.

To my knowledge there's no program that can add/remove such images on Linux, you're on your own there.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Here are some mirrors. I put all of them into a RAR file for more convenient downloading.

Mirror 1 (if you can access this, no 45-second wait is necessary)

Mirror 2 (actually 5-mirrors-in-1, take your pick)

I would've uploaded to superuploader.net (it's like ShareBee, but it gives you 9 mirrors instead of just 5), but for some reason it won't let me upload anything right now.

greator

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
iTunes , winamp can remove those images easily.
I removed the images and played them again, ....damn, it worked! But I wonder why other mp3 with album art plays fine, only these mp3 you have to delete the album art so it can play in moonshell.

Also, I found this problem on MoonShell2. This mp3 here http://ifile.it/feqkxiy plays fine in moonshell 1.71 but if played in moonshell2, only the left speaker is used. There's nothing wrong with my speaker, other mp3 plays using both speaker.

And, I found out that MoonShell2 is missing some plugin in [plugin] folder. the [mp3.msp] file is missing (but still can play mp3 files).

Currently, I'm still using MoonShell 1.71 because of their small size, turn off faster, resume play, and the right speaker problem.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    WPiso @ WPiso: m