Question Preventing system updates with internet activated

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Moquedami, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Moquedami
    OP

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
    Hi everyone!
    I know this is a pretty noob question, but i read many sources an i could figure out a definitive answer.

- Some recommend using 90DNS
    - Others say it´s better to use Google DNS
    - I saw that SX OS stealth mode would also work
    - I read that Incognito would be a solution too

So, i´m asking to the community here,: What is the BEST way of preventing a new system update from downloading in a SX OS moded Switch with online on?

2. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    90DNS here.

3. linuxares

linuxares I'm not a generous god!

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    Don't use wifi on it. That's the safest way.

Else there is no 100% safe way. Google DNS will connect to Nintendo so I don't know why you say that however.

MUDD_BR, 8BitWonder and Hayato213 like this.
  4. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Why limit yourself to one? If you're truly that paranoid, use a combination of the three. Heck, you can go one step further and just block them from your router yourself. But as linuxares said, I don't understand why you mentioned Google DNS since that'll still allow open connections to Nintendo.

5. Moquedami
    OP

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
    In a certain discord they are recommending not to use 90DNS and they suggest a specific Google DNS
    I saw a few people reporting here that with 90DNS the console downloaded the firmware update anyway.

6. xenon

xenon GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Italy
    They recommend Google DNS + Incognito, as obviously the Google DNS won't block anything by itself.
    Personally, I was using 90DNS and I kept getting news, title updates and the like. I recently switched to Incognito.

7. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    By downloading the firmware it isn't a big danger, and what specific google dns? I know of two. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, then we got 1.1.1.1 from Cloudflare.

You can setup a pihole and run a blocklist that way as well. Or an OpenDNS and set up your own blocks on it, if you don't trust 90DNS. My Switch at home run 90DNS and I never magically gotten an software update on it.

8. Moquedami
    OP

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
    How does that work?
    You just run Incognito once in CFW, and that´s it?
    You dont need to run it each time you boot in CFW?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

yes, that one

9. crissal

crissal GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2017
    Italy
    Bullshit, if it's the hbg discord they're all against open source solutions and called @AveSatanas in such way that they only deserve to be sued.
    EDIT: If you just need to block Nintendo Servers and updates and so on, just use 90DNS and you're good

AveSatanas likes this.
  10. linuxares

Aug 5, 2007
    Sweden
    I wonder what happens if you firmware upgrade with Incognito active?

11. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Incognito wipes the part of your Switch which you use to connect to Nintendo with. This makes it impossible for Nintendo to ban you but you also cannot use any of Nintendo's online features without that part.

12. xenon

xenon GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Italy
    Yes, you just need to run it once. You can't do it from Atmosphere though, so you need to run a different CFW (just once, of course) for that.

13. Moquedami
    OP

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
    I dont care about controvercy and hatefuel.
    I´m trying to figure out the best solution to block system updates in the console (without messing up with router settings or firewalls)

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

This seems like my best bet since i dont play online with my moded Switch.
    I would like to use Youtube though, but i think there is a patched one.

14. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Guru

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    Well while Nintendo technically can't ban your console while you have Incognito "installed", there was thought that Nintendo may be able to track other identifiers such as the MAC address making Incognito necessarily foolproof. As I stated earlier, no reason to limit yourself to one solution as all of the ones you listed can be used in conjunction with one another.

Migz likes this.
  15. crissal

crissal GBAtemp Regular

Dec 3, 2017
    Italy
    Just to let you know in what hands do you rest if you choice the "incognito" way, but it's your call

16. xenon

xenon GBAtemp Regular

May 19, 2006
    Italy
    The HBG Discord channel recommends Incognito, they didn't create it, so it's not their hands you rest in.

17. Moquedami
    OP

Moquedami GBAtemp Fan

Nov 16, 2006
    Argentina
  18. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    Nothing weird happens. I recently updated my emunand to 7.0.1 after running Incognito on it.

19. oblid

oblid Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    Uruguay
    Is Incognito + Google DNS! Not only Google DNS...

20. MUDD_BR

MUDD_BR GBAtemp Fan

Nov 17, 2008
    Brazil
    If I want just to use Netflix and Youtube, will my system still be banned? (I´´ve never went online on backuped games).