Hacking Pretty sure I bricked my Switch. Just need confirmation.

Aphiliate313

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got frustrated with the lack of SXOS support after using Choi to upgrade my firmware on my emuNAND to 11.0.1 on Christmas Eve. I made a mistake and didn't double check on support before going ahead and upgrading... so I'll definitely admit my fault here, but I did not realize that almost a month after the release of 11.0.1, SXOS STILL wouldn't support it.

So after 2 weeks of not having access to my CFW, I grew impatient tonight and looked into how to be able to dual boot SXOS and Atmosphere. Through a little bit of research, it was my understanding that booting CFW via Atmosphere, I'd be able to downgrade my firmware to 11.0, allowing me access to my SXOS emuNAND again. So I followed a guide posted here and was able to boot via Atmosphere. So I went ahead and got the 11.0 firmware from the usual channel, put it on the root of my SD, booted via Atmosphere, and ran the 11.0.0 formware through Choi.

My Switch will no longer boot up at all. Not with RCM, not through normal sysNAND... nothing. Just a black screen. My dock reads it for maybe a half second, but then the little green light flicks off and the Switch does nothing.

I'm kinda lost at what I did wrong. I'm sure I missed a step, but I read many forums about this and it doesn't seem like I missed any details.

Let me also note something that I found strange... when I booted CFW via Atmosphere, none of my stuff was there. In fact, it looked exactly like my sysNAND where I only had Youtube and Pokemon Quest. Im no expert at this stuff but in hindsight, I'm guessing thats what went wrong...

Am I screwed? Based on the little bit of info I gave, can you point out something I did wrong? I can give alot more info if you need it, I'm just kinda rattled right now and pretty upset over this. I've never messed up this bad.

EDIT: Literally as I was about to create this post, I tried one more time to boot it up using my SXOS jig and dongle. It flashed the SXOS screen for MAYBE 2 seconds, and then shut back down. So it booted up for a second... hopefully this is semi good news and means my Switch is salvageable?

Reactions: Bl4aze

LSolrac

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really hope you got that first backup somewhere, cause you really need it right about now.
Seems to me you're booting into what feels like a non-existent nand, and something seems to be blocking it.
The fact that the dongle flashed, to me, indicates there was data transferred. Get yourself a good cable and try to get to RCM again.
I use Linux and just run it ahead of time to automatically detect and push hekate. If you can do something similar that'd be great.
That being said. If it can be saved, you'll be returning to that first backup you're always suppose to do before doing anytihng to your switch. Meaning, you will lose your internal data. (Accounts, games directory registration, etc)

If all else fails, if you can get serial somehow, you could try that.

evertonstz

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'll agree with LSolrac as it seems there's no nand for your system to boot.
If you can inject payloads you're probably fine and It's time to use the backups you made during your first hack to reover your console. I'm not sure how salvageable bricked switches are without backups nowdays, but back in my days it was unrecoverable. So if you're backupless hopefully another user can help you in this quest.

Last edited by evertonstz,

PHiLiPZ

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
If you have at least your keys backed up or can still do so with Lockpick_RCM you should be able to recreate partitions even without having them backed up.

Draxzelex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got frustrated with the lack of SXOS support after using Choi to upgrade my firmware on my emuNAND to 11.0.1 on Christmas Eve. I made a mistake and didn't double check on support before going ahead and upgrading... so I'll definitely admit my fault here, but I did not realize that almost a month after the release of 11.0.1, SXOS STILL wouldn't support it.

So after 2 weeks of not having access to my CFW, I grew impatient tonight and looked into how to be able to dual boot SXOS and Atmosphere. Through a little bit of research, it was my understanding that booting CFW via Atmosphere, I'd be able to downgrade my firmware to 11.0, allowing me access to my SXOS emuNAND again. So I followed a guide posted here and was able to boot via Atmosphere. So I went ahead and got the 11.0 firmware from the usual channel, put it on the root of my SD, booted via Atmosphere, and ran the 11.0.0 formware through Choi.

My Switch will no longer boot up at all. Not with RCM, not through normal sysNAND... nothing. Just a black screen. My dock reads it for maybe a half second, but then the little green light flicks off and the Switch does nothing.

I'm kinda lost at what I did wrong. I'm sure I missed a step, but I read many forums about this and it doesn't seem like I missed any details.

Let me also note something that I found strange... when I booted CFW via Atmosphere, none of my stuff was there. In fact, it looked exactly like my sysNAND where I only had Youtube and Pokemon Quest. Im no expert at this stuff but in hindsight, I'm guessing thats what went wrong...

Am I screwed? Based on the little bit of info I gave, can you point out something I did wrong? I can give alot more info if you need it, I'm just kinda rattled right now and pretty upset over this. I've never messed up this bad.

EDIT: Literally as I was about to create this post, I tried one more time to boot it up using my SXOS jig and dongle. It flashed the SXOS screen for MAYBE 2 seconds, and then shut back down. So it booted up for a second... hopefully this is semi good news and means my Switch is salvageable?
It sounds like the console might be low on battery.

OkazakiTheOtaku

no thanks, I don't want a custom title
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
So I went ahead and got the 11.0 firmware from the usual channel, put it on the root of my SD, booted via Atmosphere, and ran the 11.0.0 formware through Choi.
Your BOOT0 and BOOT1 partition are mismatched. They are the 11.0.1 versions but you aren't booting 11.0.1. That is why you can't boot. I did there same thing: downgrade to soft-brick. I had to restore my BOOT0 and BOOT1 partitions from a backup that matched the firmware that I downgraded to. Do you have one?

You also shouldn't use Choi anymore-- it's been replaced with Daybreak (comes with Atmosphere).

Last edited by OkazakiTheOtaku,

djcraze

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you tried leaving it plugged in overnight? It really sounds like it's low battery. If you have auto-rcm enabled, low battery will act like a bricked switch. It basically has to trickle charge.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: What's your thoughts?