Presumed PS4 Development Kits Surface

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Foxi4, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The return of "Orbis" - early PS4 Development Kit sightings?

[​IMG]

According to an account of VG247's anonymous source, PS4 development kits are on the prowl and they're currently being distributed to video game developers, followed by a series of meetings which explain how to make the best of what they have to offer. The kits are based on AMD's A10 APU with up to 16GB or RAM, and for all intents and purposes appear to be simply modified PC computers... with a catch. They have what appears to be a pre-installed PlayStation dashboard, showing off what the PS4's menu could look like in the future.

Sony refuses to comment on the story, however the source claims that the final version of the Orbis Development Kit should be distributed among the developers as soon as next year. This of course goes againts the earlier rumours according to which Sony was to opt out of the next generation home console race.

First Durango, now Orbis yet again - it would appear that both Microsoft and Sony are on Nintendo's tail. Are you excited for what those two have in-store for the next generation? What are your expectations? Discuss!

Source: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/11/01/report-ps4-dev-kits-surface-details-inside

2. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    If the PS4 devkits have 8-16GB of RAM, that means the final system will have 4-8. Devkits generally have double the amount of RAM.

But I'm not really excited for the PS4/720. Only home consoles that really appeal to me are Nintendo's for their exclusives while I do the rest of my gaming on the PC.

3. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    That's a fair assesment, the final machine will likely have about 8GB RAM.

4. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    PS4 master race represent.

But rumors are rumors. Take them at that.

5. shoyrumaster11

shoyrumaster11 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 12, 2011
    With the Thunderjuggling Cugglecats!
    Whoa! Looked at the video thumbnail in the link and this dev kit looks like a top-loader DVD player, hope the final system doesn't look like that!

6. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Pretty sure that's just Fan Art - the kit hasn't been photographed yet. ;)

7. Valwin

Valwin The Neautral Gamer

Banned
    May 11, 2011
    United States
    Puertorico
    Well look like yet again they are going the route of powerful machine lacking software

8. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    The only "problem" as I see it (possibly good news for us?) is that if it's based so closely on a normal PC it might not be that hard for someone to make an emulator for it (or just run it in a virtual machine for that matter) once somebody rips the dashboard software out of it and leaks in on the Internet.

On the other hand, that still hasn't really happened with the original XBox so who knows.

EDIT : Also, just throwing up a link to the first thing I found on Google about the A10. How excited should we really be about this? (I must continue my research.)
    Warning: Spoilers inside!
    http://news.softpedia.com/newsImage/AMD-A-Series-Trinity-APU-Specs-Unveiled-Top-at-3-8GHz-3.jpg/

9. Disorarara

Disorarara GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2012
    We should be very excited the next Playstation console might be based on commodity PC hardware and not some space-age technology nobody knows how to use - At least now we'll get some launch titles on time

And now I wonder how they'll try to handle backwards compatibility with the Playstation 3

10. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    People seem to be confusing some things, this is not the console and it reflects the console specs in a very limited spectrum. It's a development kit - an environment for programming for the platform. These usually come in two parts nowadays - a PC-like coding station and a Console-like testing station, this is the coding station. There's currently no reason to speculate that the console will be x86 or x86-64-based.

11. Disorarara

Disorarara GBAtemp Fan

Sep 12, 2012
    I thought just any old workstation would work as a development station if you had the proper proprietary utilities to compile for consoles. Right now the only thing that makes this different from regular computers is that pre-installed dashboard which we know nothing about.

12. nachoscool

nachoscool Outer Heaven Janitor Rank Z

Jun 30, 2012
    United States
    8 Mile
    Speaking of Devkits, what ever happened to the 720 devkit sold on eBay?

13. Foxi4
    OP

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    It's in the hands of a filthy-rich collector, what else? :P

14. Hyro-Sama

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Oct 25, 2009
    After Earth
    It will mean nothing if the games are shit.

15. The Milkman

The Milkman GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman

Jan 12, 2011
    United States
    Throwing milk at the bitches!
    Booorriinng. Not that the news is pointless or anything, its just that its a shitload of speculation that probably wont see a 2013 release. I mean, we dont know if the kit is real, and on top of that kits dont say much.

16. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I can't wait for Sony to show off the PS4. I couldn't care less about the system, I just want an end to all this specs-ulating!

17. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Opinions much? If you're referring to the PS3 with that comment, you could just as well refer it to any console released to date. Most games for all consoles are shit to someone..

OT: At least Sony is trying to go the route that the hardware would not be the first thing to limit the console. Hopefully we'll be able to see better games for a longer time on the console once it's released :3

18. Nah3DS

Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Feb 9, 2010
    Argentina
    I couldn't care less about specs

we all know that the ps4 wont hit stores next year
    so.... a whole year (maybe 1,5 or 2) for devs to experiment with the devkits before the actual release = good launch lineup :)

19. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Jan 6, 2011
    Canada,New Jersey
    Can't wait for the P S quadruple.

20. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    Huh, actually the "PC" part of the devkit is just a bog standard PC. They only give you DVD/CDs with the Devkit on it, and a connection cable.

We're talking about ACTUAL hardware here. It's highly probable (if not even sure) that PS4 will be x86 based, at this point. Looks like Sony is going for teh cheap.