Prep for new emunand

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by ayanekochan, Feb 7, 2016.

1. ayanekochan
    OP

ayanekochan GBAtemp Regular

Aug 6, 2015
    United States
    I've been running pastacfw 9.5 firmlaunch on 9.2j since I first got my n3ds, and it's been working out for me with firm spoofed games and such, so I never really bothered to install emunand cause the farthest you could go was 9.5 anyways. Now that Reinand seems to be pretty stable on 10.5, I think I'm finally ready to make the switch and I've got a couple of things I'd like to confirm before I take the plunge.

I have a lot of cias installed and I have only about 4gb left on my 32gb msd card. Is it possible to get away with uninstalling and reinstalling all my game cias and just move the game install folder over to the emunand system after it is created? Or will the emunand creation also copy that entire folder over as well? In which case I definitely will have to uninstall my games.

From my understanding, creating an emunand will create an exact copy of my sysnand. That means all my friend list, mii plaza, activity log, camera data, etc, will also be carried over right? I know game saves might not so I plan to back all that up beforehand with svdt. I'd really like to keep all my system data and I have a lot of things logged outside of game saves.

I'm planning on using tinyformat to create my emunand. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure my existing sysnand nnid is unlinked and then linked to emunand before I wipe sysnand?

If I've already got bbm installed to my sysnand, I don't need to install fbi again right? A lot of the guides recommend injecting fbi to h&s and I don't see the point of that if I already have a cia installer on sysnand that will be copied over to emunand.

Last, I did create frankenfirmware to be able to access eshop on sysnand. Is it recommended to replace those system titles with the original 9.2 titles before I create emunand?

Sorry for the massive wall of questions, but I'd really appreciate it if anyone can confirm any of this before I finally go the emunand route. Thanks!

Last edited by ayanekochan, Feb 7, 2016
  2. DKB

DKB N I G H T M A R E

GBAtemp Patron
    DKB is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    May 29, 2015
    United States
    New York City, Manhattan
    Honestly you have a lot of questions so..I'll try to answer them..

If you're trying to transfer SD cards, do it, nothing will happen.

If you want a new emunand, just use reinand and just throw the files in, you got a new emunand, since emunand's partition is dynamic and will just change according to whatever you ran.

I honestly do not a reason to wipe your emunand.

Last edited by DKB, Feb 7, 2016
  3. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    When you create an emuNAND it will point to the files on your SD card, so you don't have to worry about it trying to copy them all. It will just create a 2GB partition so as long as you have more than 2GB free you are fine (but you won't be installing many more games)

4. ayanekochan
    OP

Aug 6, 2015
    United States
    I'm not trying to transfer emunands. I don't have a emunand to begin with, so I'd like to create a new one. But I've got tons of data on my sysnand already so I'd like to be sure what exactly will happen if I create emunand from that.

I'm planning on wiping sysnand to unlink after this is done, which is why I need to make sure I can keep everything on emunand.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Thanks! So does that mean when I go to unlink sysnand (format) I will still keep my game cias on emunand?

5. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Read my post above. Your emuNAND will use the files already on your SD card. When you format sysNAND all you're doing is telling it not to point to those files anymore, and have its own SD folder (which will be nearly empty).

6. ayanekochan
    OP

Aug 6, 2015
    United States
    Sorry, that post was supposed to be @DKB

7. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    Yes, this is the entire point of a) setting up emuNAND (getting emuNAND to point to your files) and b) formatting sysNAND (previously sysNAND will point to the same files as emuNAND but won't be able to use them due to lack of signature patching. This as well as other problems like with menuhax means formatting sysNAND is generally recommended).

8. ayanekochan
    OP

Aug 6, 2015
    United States
    Glad you cleared that up for me. Lots of guides are for people starting from scratch and it's hard to tell what formatting emunand does exactly to your sd file system from just looking at the instructions. So that means I've also got bbm covered as well right?

Do you also recommend un-frankenfirmwareing sysnand before I start? Will that cause issues when I perform a system update on emunand if I leave it the way it is?

9. Quantumcat

Nov 23, 2014
    Australia
    Canberra, Australia
    SysNAND and emuNAND are totally separate so it won't have any effect on emuNAND if sysNAND is frankenfirmwared. As long as it's not bricked and you can use it to actually get into emuNAND. It might matter though if you try to do stuff with sysNAND.

10. ayanekochan
    OP

Aug 6, 2015
    United States
    Quantumcat likes this.