Preloader Bricked my Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by buckely, Jul 20, 2009.

Jul 20, 2009

Preloader Bricked my Wii by buckely at 11:35 PM (3,268 Views / 0 Likes) 21 replies

1. buckely
    OP

Newcomer buckely Member

United States
    I'm lucky I have a nand backup and bootmii installed or I would be screwed. I just wish i had a newer NAND backup.
    I was on 4.1, never had any problems with anything on my Wii before hand. I tried to reinstall preloader and boom!! BRICK. I can't stress this enough make a NAND backup as soon as you can!!

My problem is solved but I'm just trying to save someone else.

2. UranusKiller

Member UranusKiller TranceMaster

United Kingdom
    bullcrap, you bricked it yourself.

3. asdf

Member asdf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    He's probably right. I installed Preloader on my 4.1 Wii and it didn't brick.

4. wrettcaughn

Member wrettcaughn Misunderstood Moral Elitist

United States
    Same here. I put preloader on my 4.1 Wii last night without issue.

5. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    if you get the app from wiibrew.org, it says so itself:

Code:
    This homebrew makes permanent changes to your Wii's flash memory (NAND) and should be used with caution.
    and...

Code:
    SINCE THIS TOOL CHANGES THE WAY THE WII WORKS IN A WAY IT WAS NEVER INTENDED TO, THERE IS A RISK OF BRICKING YOUR CONSOLE.
    I'VE DONE EVERYTHING I CAN TO ASSURE THAT NOTHING WILL BRICK. BUT THIS IS STILL NO GUARANTEE!! THE AUTHOR CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE IT MIGHT CAUSE! YOU ACCEPT THAT YOU INSTALL THIS ON YOUR OWN RISK!
    ....soooooo do not blame the app please, it just make you look stupid hence all people here are using it...!! [​IMG]

6. thc42O

Banned thc42O Banned

Canada
    i have 4.1 and preloader. u prob installed .28 making this bricking, YOUR FAULT. in closing RTFM and dont post bullshit because u made a mistake.

7. nknave

Member nknave GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    This happened to me once, but It was because StartPatch Patches were installed and that's why it happened.

But PreLoader it self doesn't brick Wii's.

8. kLiNiKaL

Member kLiNiKaL Dr. Greenthumb

Jamaica
    fail thread

9. thebobinc

Member thebobinc GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    lol i did install preloder over starfall an i did'not brick my Wii like THC420 said RTFM !!!

10. MrRochie

Member MrRochie GBAtemp Regular

United States
    [​IMG] Greets Dudes.. I have 4.1 installed and I removed the health screen with Startpatch, I do not have Bootmii or Nand backup Dump installed....( Not really sure how those are done or how they work.) Anyway, has anyone bricked their Wii installing Preloader after removing the Health screen with StartPatch??? Whats the best way to protect myself from a brick now that I have used StartPatch. I'm also installed Rev 14 toooo Thanks [​IMG]

11. Lothlorian

Member Lothlorian GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Ahh yes... good ole' pre-loader. Naturally it must be pre-loaders fault. I'm sure Crediar was plotting late into the night when he wrote the code. He kept thinking " I want to brick Buckley's Wii but I have to make it look like it is a good app. I know , I will write a good app but I wont make it idiot proof. That way the intelligent people who take time to read to self educate themselves will not brick".

Team Twizers had to wreck the whole plan though by releasing Bootmii. When installed as Boot2 it allows you to restore your NAND.

Personally I installed Pre-loader .29 on my 4.1 Wii with no issues. It is working perfectly with the new hacks.ini for 4.1.

Pre-loader is without a doubt one of the best Apps for the Wii.

12. MrRochie

United States
    [​IMG] Greetings all I tried to install Hackmii .29 and got to the opening screen where the line reads somethng like. If you cannot accept this turn your wii off or reboot or something... anyway my Wii froze at that point. My Wiimote would not do anything just turn the system off. Would anyone know what might be the problem? I am at Waninkoko update 4.1 and Rev14. I would really like to have a brick recovery somehow... Any Ideas? [​IMG]

13. MrRochie

United States
    [​IMG] Greetings all I tried to install Hackmii .29 and got to the opening screen where the line reads somethng like. If you cannot accept this turn your wii off or reboot or something... anyway my Wii froze at that point. My Wiimote would not do anything just turn the system off. Would anyone know what might be the problem? I am at Waninkoko update 4.1 and Rev14. I would really like to have a brick recovery somehow... Any Ideas? [​IMG]

14. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    wait a while until "Press 1" appears?

15. MrRochie

United States
    And yes my wiimote was fully charged.....

Posts merged

[​IMG] How long?? 5- 10 min??

16. Wiinie

Newcomer Wiinie Advanced Member

United States
    just push 1 a couple times, your wiimote will sync and you be good to go.

17. beegee7730

Banned beegee7730 ITS PAAFEKUTO!

United Kingdom
    about a 30 seconds.

18. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States

It didn't freeze. The warning screen will not let you do anything for a solid 30-45 seconds, then a message will pop up telling you to press '1' to continue. It looks like it's frozen, but it hasn't. You just have to wait a bit. The point is to actually get you to READ the message on the screen, instead of instantly skipping past it like 90% of users otherwise would.

19. imapterodactyl

Member imapterodactyl GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Could be, I suppose. Although I must say, I've installed it on 10 Wiis now, and with every new SysMenu update on each of those, including 4.1 (only 4 since the 4.1 update), and no problems whatsoever yet. I'm thinking you didn't follow the instructions properly, but hey.... anything can happen.

Also, I checked out your link to "The Dig". Nice stop-motion work, man! I'm thoroughly impressed.

20. hdhacker

Member hdhacker GBAtemp Fan

United States
    After I upgraded to 4.1, I thought preloader wasn't working, too. It turns out I needed to use Trucha Bug Restorer to downgrade the IOS. (I upgraded through Nintendo, so it didn't get patched. Duh!) [​IMG]