Preloader and bootmii help

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Lion640, Sep 5, 2009.

Sep 5, 2009

Preloader and bootmii help by Lion640 at 9:18 PM (2,092 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. Lion640
    OP

Newcomer Lion640 Member

United States
    i have a 4.1U wii with preloader .29 installed. i want to get bootmii since i am able to install it as a boot2 but just have a couple of questions. is it safe to install it after already haveing preloader? how do i acess it? i know you have to press reset to get to bootmii but if i have preloader set to autoboot to the system menu which one would come on first? just in case that did not make sense lets say i brick my wii so i turn it on and hold reset what would it go to? boot mii or preloader? and how would i go to the other one? (if it goses to bootmii how to i go to preloader and vice versa)

thanks alot for the help guys

2. Dialexio

Member Dialexio GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    You can safely install BootMii regardless of if you have Preloader or not.

To access BootMii, you need to have a prepared SD card (Read: The reset button is not used to access BootMii's menu). The HackMii installer can prepare an SD card for BootMii usage.

If BootMii as boot2 is installed, it will go directly into the BootMii menu. (BootMii loads before Preloader, by the way.)

Hope this helps. [​IMG]

3. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Bootmii installs to boot2, preloader replaces the system menu, boot2 loads before the system menu. They have nothing to do with eachother.

Bootmii will automatically load at start of the Wii until you use the bootmii configuration editor or edit the bootmii.ini file yourself to have it autoboot to either the system menu or the HBC.

Preloader will not load at all unless/until you load the system menu through bootmii.

4. Lion640
    OP

Newcomer Lion640 Member

United States
    k sweet i'll download bootmii and do a nand backup soon thanks alot for the help and i have 2 sd cards a sdhc and sd so i'll just use the 1gb for bootmii. so if i take the sd card with bootmii out of the wii then bootmii wouldn't start?

5. nabster92

United States
    Yea bootmii won't load without finding the bootmii folder on the sd card. Not sure if it will take any longer to boot trying to look through the sd card though. You can also just use the bootmii configuration editor to edit the bootmii.ini file to autoboot to the system menu in 0 seconds for bootdelay to have it go directly to it (which would technically go right to preloader).

6. Lion640
    OP

Newcomer Lion640 Member

United States
    yeah but i usually keep my sdhc card in my wii and last i checked bootmii was not compatible with my 8gb sdhc card. that was bootmii version .02 though [​IMG]

EDIT:also i probably wont do this tell theres a big update from nintendo since the only other way i could get bricked is banner brick but thats easy to fix with preloader.so hopefully by the time nintendo dose there next big update which if nintendos system menu history repeats will be awhile bootmii will have greater compatibility.

also now that im thinkin about it thats the only way to get bricked right? nintendo updates and bad wads. if theres others hopefully some1 can tell me. oh and i do know that uninstalling an IOS will brick my wii but who is stupid enough to uninstall an IOS when EVERYONE says to never do that.

7. nabster92

United States
    Well you could try it with the beta 0.3 version, and if it isn't compatible then you could just leave the bootmii file off of the sdhc card and it still won't boot anyways. And if it does take a long time to boot, you could try setting the autoboot to system menu stuff on your 1GB card and then move those files to the sdhc card and see if it still takes as long to boot.

8. Lion640
    OP

Newcomer Lion640 Member

United States
    yeah i'll try it later though but im still curious if theres other ways to brick my wii?

9. Lion640
    OP

Newcomer Lion640 Member

United States
    k new question i tryed going to the hackmii installer v.03 and it said that it wont install on a custom IOS. i have CIOScorp V3.3 installed on my wii and i can play wad games (cant remember what files i used but i did it on my 4.1U wii) so if anyone knows how to get get passed this or another way to get bootmii i would really appretiate it

10. nabster92

United States
    The hackmii installer does not like cioscrap. Bootmii should definitely have been installed before flipping your system inside out with that. To get around it you would need to install an older version IOS36 on your system first. Then the hackmii installer should have something to run off of.

11. Lion640
    OP

Newcomer Lion640 Member

United States
    then would i need to re install cioscorp?

12. nabster92

United States
    cioscrap isn't NEEDED at all. But if you do install the normal IOS36 to run the hackmii installer, then if you REALLY want to continue using cioscrap you would have to install its' IOS36 back.

Personally I would suggest using dop-IOS to install official IOS's over everything, have cIOS rev14 installed and just use NeoGamma R7.

13. HellFireXS

Newcomer HellFireXS Advanced Member

Canada
    bootmii v2 works fine with my 8GB Sandisc MicroSD + Adapter but does not run on my GTX 133x 2GB SD card.