Pre-owned wii problems

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by An00bis, Jul 22, 2010.

Jul 22, 2010

Pre-owned wii problems by An00bis at 9:03 PM (1,070 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. An00bis
    OP

Newcomer An00bis Advanced Member

United States
    Okay, so my old wii, which had plenty of homebrew, cIOSes, everything imaginable, stopped reading discs recently. Earlier, brawl would work up until stage select, but when I chose a stage, the disc could no longer be read. I figured my wii's laser was burnt out so I headed over to gamestop and bought a used wii ($130). I get home, play brawl for about 30 minutes, and.... the game disc could not be read. I have 2 copies of brawl, so I try the other one. ~20 minutes, could not be read. I've done some experimentation and it seems that, the games always freeze when it tries to load an AI yoshi (like in event match 10, and in classic). But sometimes it'll just freeze after 10 matches just between mario and bowser. So I did some more research and it appears that for older wiis, a laser incapable of reading brawl is a common problem. So my question is: What do? First off, my two copies of brawl are really quite scratched up, so I suppose that could be the cause. Is there a way to check if my newly bought wii has a serial number old enough that the laser might be weakening? Should I return it (I have 30 days), and just pay the extra 70 bucks for a brand new black wii?

Also a smaller question: Without homebrew, there's no way to copy a brawl save from one wii to another, huh?

2. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    "pussyloader", and I am serious, that is what the app is called, and it works on virgin wii's via any exploit

3. lll

Member lll GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You could always try a Wii cleaning kit. It's a Nintendo thing, should be about ten bucks in any store like GameStop.

4. Parablank

Member Parablank GBAtemp Regular

United States
  5. An00bis
    OP

United States
    Hm, that's an option. Is that cleaner sold at gamestops? I don't prefer buying it online. Also, has anyone had success with this stuff? I once bought a liquid disc cleaner from gamestop for gamecube, and it broke the GCN (i realize this is probably different, as it is a nintendo product).

Also, can someone explain to me how exactly pussieloader works? from the instructions:
    I'm lost on the 3rd step. I put boot.dol on my SD root. I put it also in the... "bannerbomb private folder"? What is this I don't even.

6. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    He means that you should put both the boot.dol and the private folder that came with Bannerbomb on the root of your SD.

7. An00bis
    OP

United States
    I don't have bannerbomb. Pussieloader is supposed to be for virgin wiis...

8. Fishaman P

Member Fishaman P Speedrunner

United States
    bannerbomb IS for virgin Wiis.

9. C.S.I.

Member C.S.I. GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    You'll need the correct version of bannerbomb for your Wii.

What version is it?

10. Hakoda

Member Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

United States
    Fix'd. Its not spelled with a "y". I know its kinda stupid to look for grammar errors but he'll never find it if you spell it like that.

11. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    oops, TBH I thought I had spelled it right, my bad (but still "pussieloader" is a f*cking hilarious name!)

12. An00bis
    OP

United States
    Soooo... I'm screwed, for now?

13. Krestent

Member Krestent What to post?

United States
    You have to use the SmashStack exploit (Stage Creator hack for SSBB) to load the boot.dol.