PPSSPP Switch Beta Release

1.jpg

PPSSPP/Libretro Switch Public Beta by m4xw
==========================================

After a lot of work, I am very happy to share this with all of you.
Audio & Video support works, many core options cause Issues tho.

It is mandatory to "Close Content" after changing any Core option and restarting RetroArch, else it will potentially crash, don't close the RetroArch menu!

Special thanks to hrydgard for everything he has done for the PPSSPP Project.
If you want to support his work, consider buying PPSSPP Gold https://central.ppsspp.org/buygold even if you don't use it!

I will PR it once the libretro port is finished, also implemented half of what's needed for a Standalone port ;)
Source is on my Github, but it's highly WIP and needs a custom RA and a custom ffmpeg, so you should just wait if you want to build it yourself ;)

Libretro Docs (important informations for this core):
https://docs.libretro.com/library/ppsspp/
Official Game Compatibility Tracker (your mileage might vary): https://report.ppsspp.org/games

GitHub (WIP Switch): https://github.com/m4xw/ppsspp/
GitHub (Official): https://github.com/hrydgard/ppsspp

Installation Instructions

Drag & Drop the "retroarch" folder to the root of your SD, overwriting any file (it will not touch any options).
Assets are bundled, so you don't have to bother with that.

Notes

If you are using ANY method of loading RetroArch OTHER than Atmosphere's title redirection feature, DO NOT report issues that you encounter.
These issues can skew testing and could very well be caused by loading through an unsupported method.

Video slowdowns are related to missing hardware accelerated decoding (nvdec), it's not a libretro/PPSSPP Issue.
FMV cut-scenes will be fine.

Updates

Added JIT and JIT Vertex Decoder Support
- When loading Savestates with JIT, make sure to instantly open the RetroArch Menu again and wait for it to complete loading
- This is a libretro specific bug (not switch port related) and will be fixed later on

-Added Vertex JIT Core option (turning it off fixes some games currently)
-Added Disable slow Framebuffer effects Core option (Speedhack)
-Increased Savestate Chunk size to 4MB (speeds up savestate load, ~2sec)
-Band-Aid for Savestate load + Save (no more opening menu for them to work)
-Renamed "IR JIT" to "IR Interpreter"
-Removed Threaded IO Core option (non-functional)
-Removed Non-Buffered Rendering Core option (non-functional)
-General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience.

Download Link: <Please use the RetroArch Core updater>

Last edited by m4xw,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I am running RetroArch on SXOS 2.6.1. Should I do a clean wipe of RetroArch? I am also using RetroArch 1.7.6

More info is needed

Is your sd card formatted to Exfat or Fat32? It should be Fat32
Are you holding R on a installed nsp game on the switch menu to get the full ram?

A clean wipe of Retroarch probably won't change anything unless you've messed up some settings, but that's unlikely.

Last edited by ,

JJTapia19

I fight for my friends.
Trophies
XP
Country
Puerto Rico
Yeah I am running RetroArch on SXOS 2.6.1. Should I do a clean wipe of RetroArch? I am also using RetroArch 1.7.6
You could try. Have you tried different games and have the same problem? It could be game specific. Also default config and using fat32 format are recommended

Uncontrol

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know why I continually get a "The software was closed because an error occurred" message after I attempt to boot Persona 3?

Im booting via iso and I'm booting Retroarch via the title and through the album.

I do have error messages in my Core Information section regarding the flash0 and asset files, but I have included those as the guide stated so I'm at a loss..

Last edited by Uncontrol,

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah I don't see the point in using a compatibility list for PC/Android when it's not the same for Switch right now. I have a pretty old laptop that's only got 2 gb of ram that plays LittleBigPlanet yet the Switch can't play it right now for example.

mathew77

Lovin' life.
Trophies
XP
Country
Kazakhstan
Thanks for the great release!
My humbe list of my tested and playable games for this core (near 100% fullspeed at 1785 MHz), if anyone interested: I tested them all one by one, manually:
Aero Racer (Minis)
Age of Zombies (Minis)
Angry Birds (Minis)
Ape Academy 2
Ape Escape - On the Loose
Assassin's Creed - Bloodlines
Blade Dancer Lineage of Light
Burnout Dominator
Canabalt (Minis)
Corpse Party
Corpse Party Book of Shadows
Cubixx (Minis)
Danganronpa
Daxter
Dead Head Fred
Death Jr. 2_Root of Evil
Despicable Me The Game
Dracula Undead Awakening
Dungeons and Dragons Tactics
Exit 2
Exit
Fieldrunners (Minis)
Flow
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Ghost Raider
Grand Theft Auto - Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars
Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories
Guilty Gear Judgment
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
Gurumin A Monstrous Adventure
Half-Minute Hero
Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2
Impossible Game, The (Minis)
Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier
Jeanne d'Arc
K-On! Houkago Live!! Japan
Karoshi (Minis)
LocoRoco
LocoRoco 2
LocoRoco Midnight Carnival
Lord of The Ring Tactics
Manhunt 2
Metal Gear Solid - Peace Walker
Mortal Kombat Unchained
Need for Speed Carbon Own the City
Need for Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0
Need for Speed ProStreet
Need for Speed Underground Rivals
Nom Nation (Minis)
Obscure The Aftermath
Pac-Man Championship Edition (Minis)
Patapon
Patapon 2
Patapon 3
Phantasy Star Portable
Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Mans Chest
Prince Of Persia - The Forgotten Sands
Prinny - Can I Really Be the Hero
Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords
Ratchet And Clank Size Matters
Rengoku II - The Stairway to HEAVEN
Rengoku The Tower of Purgatory
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer 2
Persona
Persona 2 - Innocent Sin
Persona 3 - Portable
Shinobido Tales of the Ninja
Sonic Rivals
SWAT Target Liberty
Syphon Filter - Logan's Shadow
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
Tekken - Dark Resurrection
Tekken 6
Tenchu - Shadow Assassins
The 3rd Birthday
The Godfather Mob Wars
The Sims 2 Pets
The Sims 2 Castaway
The Sims 2
The Warriors
TMNT Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Toy Story 3
Twisted Metal Head-On
Who Wants to be a Millionaire
Who's That Flying (Minis)
Wipeout Pulse
Wipeout Pure
WTF - Work Time Fun
Ys I & II Chronicles
Zuma
And, unfortunately, the other list of my games that working veeeryyy slow (i.e. they're simple unplayable):
Crash Mind Over Mutant, Dante's Inferno, Resistance - Retribution, Over The Hedge Hammy Goes Nuts, Driver 76, Hammerin' Hero, Metal Gear Acid, Little BIG Planet, Prince of Persia - Rival Swords, Crash of the Titans, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Test Drive Unlimited, God of War - Ghost of Sparta, Sonic Rivals 2, Silent Hill - Origins, FlatOut - Head On, Pirates of The Caribbean at Worlds, Colin McRae Rally 2005 Plus, Silent Hill - Shattered Memories, Aliens vs Predator Requiem, God of War - Chains of Olympus, Asphalt - Urban GT 2, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, Spider-Man Friend or Foe, Rock Band Unplugged, Warhammer 40,000 - Squad Command, Ratatouille, Army of Two - The 40th Day, Lara Croft - Tomb Raider - Anniversary, Shrek The Third, Prince of Persia - Revelations, Burnout Legends, Fat Princess Fistful of Cake, Lara Croft - Tomb Raider - Legend, MediEvil Resurrection, Wall-E, Untold Legends 2, Star Wars - Battlefront II, Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony, Castlevania - The Dracula X Chronicles, Jackass - The Game, Up Video Game.

Last edited by mathew77,

satel

Luigi's Big Brother
Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Yeah I don't see the point in using a compatibility list for PC/Android when it's not the same for Switch right now. I have a pretty old laptop that's only got 2 gb of ram that plays LittleBigPlanet yet the Switch can't play it right now for example.

i agree i have yet to come across a game that runs fine on this core !! first 6 games i tested are a not playable even though the compatibility list says 5 of them run perfect on PPSSPP

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Thanks for the great release!
My humbe list of my tested and playable games for this core (near 100% fullspeed at 1785 MHz), if anyone interested: I tested them all one by one, manually:
Aero Racer (Minis)
Age of Zombies (Minis)
Angry Birds (Minis)
Ape Academy 2
Ape Escape - On the Loose
Assassin's Creed - Bloodlines
Blade Dancer Lineage of Light
Burnout Dominator
Canabalt (Minis)
Corpse Party
Corpse Party Book of Shadows
Cubixx (Minis)
Danganronpa
Daxter
Dead Head Fred
Death Jr. 2_Root of Evil
Despicable Me The Game
Dracula Undead Awakening
Dungeons and Dragons Tactics
Exit 2
Exit
Fieldrunners (Minis)
Flow
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex
Ghost Raider
Grand Theft Auto - Liberty City Stories
Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars
Grand Theft Auto Vice City Stories
Guilty Gear Judgment
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
Gurumin A Monstrous Adventure
Half-Minute Hero
Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2
Impossible Game, The (Minis)
Jak and Daxter The Lost Frontier
Jeanne d'Arc
K-On! Houkago Live!! Japan
Karoshi (Minis)
LocoRoco
LocoRoco 2
LocoRoco Midnight Carnival
Lord of The Ring Tactics
Manhunt 2
Metal Gear Solid - Peace Walker
Mortal Kombat Unchained
Need for Speed Carbon Own the City
Need for Speed Most Wanted 5-1-0
Need for Speed ProStreet
Need for Speed Underground Rivals
Nom Nation (Minis)
Obscure The Aftermath
Pac-Man Championship Edition (Minis)
Patapon
Patapon 2
Patapon 3
Phantasy Star Portable
Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Mans Chest
Prince Of Persia - The Forgotten Sands
Prinny - Can I Really Be the Hero
Puzzle Quest Challenge of the Warlords
Ratchet And Clank Size Matters
Rengoku II - The Stairway to HEAVEN
Rengoku The Tower of Purgatory
Ridge Racer
Ridge Racer 2
Persona
Persona 2 - Innocent Sin
Persona 3 - Portable
Shinobido Tales of the Ninja
Sonic Rivals
SWAT Target Liberty
Syphon Filter - Logan's Shadow
Syphon Filter Dark Mirror
Tekken - Dark Resurrection
Tekken 6
Tenchu - Shadow Assassins
The 3rd Birthday
The Godfather Mob Wars
The Sims 2 Pets
The Sims 2 Castaway
The Sims 2
The Warriors
TMNT Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Toy Story 3
Twisted Metal Head-On
Who Wants to be a Millionaire
Who's That Flying (Minis)
Wipeout Pulse
Wipeout Pure
WTF - Work Time Fun
Ys I & II Chronicles
Zuma
And, unfortunately, the other list of my games that working veeeryyy slow (i.e. they're simple unplayable):
Crash Mind Over Mutant, Dante's Inferno, Resistance - Retribution, Over The Hedge Hammy Goes Nuts, Driver 76, Hammerin' Hero, Metal Gear Acid, Little BIG Planet, Prince of Persia - Rival Swords, Crash of the Titans, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Test Drive Unlimited, God of War - Ghost of Sparta, Sonic Rivals 2, Silent Hill - Origins, FlatOut - Head On, Pirates of The Caribbean at Worlds, Colin McRae Rally 2005 Plus, Silent Hill - Shattered Memories, Aliens vs Predator Requiem, God of War - Chains of Olympus, Asphalt - Urban GT 2, Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings, Spider-Man Friend or Foe, Rock Band Unplugged, Warhammer 40,000 - Squad Command, Ratatouille, Army of Two - The 40th Day, Lara Croft - Tomb Raider - Anniversary, Shrek The Third, Prince of Persia - Revelations, Burnout Legends, Fat Princess Fistful of Cake, Lara Croft - Tomb Raider - Legend, MediEvil Resurrection, Wall-E, Untold Legends 2, Star Wars - Battlefront II, Dungeon Siege Throne of Agony, Castlevania - The Dracula X Chronicles, Jackass - The Game, Up Video Game.

thanks for the list,how far did you test these games ? Age of zombies freezes for my at the end of the 1st level,i tried a different cso but it's the same !

Xecutar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
How are you launching RetroArch?

I do not have an nsp file. I am running RetroArch directly from the homebrew area in SXOS. My sdcard is also exfat formatted. I dont wanna switch to fat32 cause then I gotta deal with 3.4GB file limits. I have made 0 changes to the retroarch settings. Maybe there's an nsp file that I should be running instead?

stick267

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do not have an nsp file. I am running RetroArch directly from the homebrew area in SXOS. My sdcard is also exfat formatted. I dont wanna switch to fat32 cause then I gotta deal with 3.4GB file limits. I have made 0 changes to the retroarch settings. Maybe there's an nsp file that I should be running instead?
Running it from the Homebrew area is your problem. It will never work. You have to hold R on an installed game or cartridge in the Switch home screen and then launch RetroArch after the HBMenu loads.

Also there are many ways to deal with fat32 file size limits. XCI splitting, USB install for NSPs, etc.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The first post of the Retroarch Switch thread says this

Using an SD formatted as exFat is NOT officially supported.
If you are using RetroArch on Switch, FAT32 is the recommended and only way supported officially by the team.
Any questions related to exFat or file corruption might be ignored.

And you can't get full ram without an nsp installed and holding R that's the only way to get full ram on sxos.

There's no file size limits if you use your usb cord that everyone has and install games through your computer with Aluminum Foil or Goldleaf.

You've got 0% chance of it working as you're doing it right now.

Last edited by ,
Reactions: Xecutar

Xecutar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The first post of the Retroarch Switch thread says this

Using an SD formatted as exFat is NOT officially supported.
If you are using RetroArch on Switch, FAT32 is the recommended and only way supported officially by the team.
Any questions related to exFat or file corruption might be ignored.

And you can't get full ram without an nsp installed and holding R that's the only way to get full ram on sxos.

There's no file size limits if you use your usb cord that everyone has and install games through your computer with Aluminum Foil or Goldleaf.

You've got 0% chance of it working as you're doing it right now.

Thanks for the info everyone

Proto-Propski

Legally Weird!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm shocked, this is some really great news out of the scene, I've been waiting for this day since Lakka released on the Switch via Linux, I did some tests with one of my favorite titles on the PSP; Hatsune Miku: Project Diva, I'm very surprised to see there aren't many issues aside from performance which is a given. ANYWAY! here's some of the marks I got using Stock vs Max OC

(NOTE: you must disable Bilinear Filtering, before you can play some/all games at Max OC, as it seems there is a small bug that prevents video rendering when that specific option is enabled on that Clock Speed option.)

15-20 FPS - Stock OC (16:9)

25 - 29.7 - Max OC (16:9)

With Max OC, I feel as though it's almost at consistent "playable" speeds, although it still has some performance issues when there are too many notes, or player models in the scene, or they move around to rapidly in the background. Regardless for a first release I really couldn't ask for any better.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, I'm good. Thanks.