Powerful Android phone

Discussion in 'Android' started by heartgold, Jun 30, 2011.

Jun 30, 2011

Powerful Android phone by heartgold at 2:31 PM (1,914 Views / 0 Likes) 23 replies

1. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Yup the title says it all, could people name me a few powerful ones in the market.

Thanks.

2. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    You don't mind expensive? [​IMG]

Samsung Galaxy S II
    HTC Sensation
    Motorola Atrix

SE Xperia Arc
    SE Xperia Play
    HTC Incredible S

These are some I can instantly think of... [​IMG]

3. heartgold
    OP

United Kingdom
    Cheers, I'll check the specs out later.

I want a decent phone that'll hold out for a few years. [​IMG]

4. chris888222

Member chris888222 GBAtemp's Flygon Fan

Singapore
    Personally I find the S II to be a great choice. It is the most expensive in the list, but it is very powerful. [​IMG]

Sensation is a great alternative to S II.

Incredible S? Also good. But the core stuff, it's only 1 GHz. Same as Arc, Play and if not mistaken Atrix. Other than that, it's also really good.

Arc and Play, great alternatives to Incredible S. Especially Play if you want er... games? [​IMG]

5. heartgold
    OP

United Kingdom
    Alright S II and Sensation seem great. S II is a little more stronger over Sensation specs wise soo I guess I get that. [​IMG]

6. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    The Xperia Play is not one of the most powerful phones. In fact, it's only a mid-range phone. The only reason you'd get it is for the game buttons, but if you're not getting it for gaming, you might as well get something else.

I know the Atrix is a dual-core (unlike most of the phones) powered by Nvidia Tegra 2, so it's a more powerful high-end phone. I'm not sure how good the laptop dock is, but be aware that it is more expensive than the phone itself.

7. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    Samsung galaxy S2 I've been on and it's ungghhahahhhshhhhh good.
    It's smooth as anything. Recommended.

8. Terminator02

Member Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

United States
    it's not a a mid-range phone, it's the high-end of 5 months ago, and still runs very fast, it runs just as good as any of the other high-end phones right now, however once it gets to ice cream sandwich you might start feeling the pain of only having a single-core processor

the atrix's laptop dock is a slow, laggy experience and incredibly pricey, do not buy the atrix thinking that will be a selling point, however, since it's bootloader was recently unlocked i'd say it's a good choice because custom roms that actually don't suck will be popping up (probably already are)

Edit: and my recommendation was supposed to be the Galaxy SII, i forgot to even mention it ;p

9. nl255

Member nl255 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

I have the Thunderbolt and it works nicely (and it has 768MB of RAM, many others only have 512MB). It's not dual core though.

10. Terminator02

United States
    if you're on verizon the droid charge is a better choice than the thunderbolt, better battery life, better screen, lighter skin (equaling better performance & battery life), and samsung lets you do whatever you want to your phone (if you're into rooting and custom ROMs)

11. Haloman800

Member Haloman800 a real gril

United States
    Droid Charge all the way... It's the best phone on Verizon right now, and will be the best option if you want to get unlimited 4G.. Sure, some companies might have better phones, but we have the best network! If I can't make calls on my phone than what's the point?

12. CarbonX13

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Absolute High-End (Dual-Core Smartphones):
    - Samsung Galaxy S II
    - Motorola Atrix
    - HTC Sensation
    - LG Optimus 2X
    - Motorola Droid X2

Any of these guys will definitely hold out for years, especially the Samsung Galaxy S II.

High-End Single Cores:
    - Samsung / Google Nexus S
    - Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc
    - HTC Incredible S
    - Sony Ericsson Xperia Play
    - HTC Thunderbolt

Some good alternatives to dual-core phones, especially with the more cheaper price tag in most cases. Comes at the expense of much weaker processors (can't compare dual-core to single-core), and more limited longevity.

Dual-Core 3D-without-glasses Devices:
    - HTC Evo 3D
    - LG Optimus 3D

Both devices go along the path of the Nintendo 3DS. They also have dual-core processors in them, though much of it is used to produce the 3D effect.

13. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    I have an Xperia Play. I should know what I'm talking about. When I first got it, it was sluggish as hell (but SE made a few performance fixes in the 2.3.3 update, so all is good...for now).
    The Snapdragon CPU in the Xperia Play is listed as released in Q2 2010, and is a generation behind. The time between Q2 2010 to Q3 2011 is more than 5 months. Sure, it may have been a high end CPU when it came out, but having been released in a Q2 2011 smartphone makes it a little outdated.
    Although, since only a select few phones are using current-gen Snapdragon CPUs (which are dual core BTW), I'll let this argument pass. Many other smartphones are using the same CPU as the Play anyway.

14. Terminator02

United States
    does your xperia play have sony's skin on it or is it stock gingerbread (i'm assuming you're using the Roger's version)

mine is stock gingerbread (verizon version), and since the moment i've gotten it, it's been buttery smooth, with much better battery life than my previous phone (Samsung Fascinate (Galaxy S device) rooted with the community ROM 1.3 and custom kernel)

and like i said, it was the high-end 5 months ago, and still runs perfectly fast, but there is concern about ice cream sandwich

15. triassic911

Member triassic911 Burst Mode

United States
    Imo, I would say the HTC Sensation or the HTC Thunderbolt. They are both very solid phones.

16. Evo.lve

Member Evo.lve All that you could be.

Australia
    The HTC Sensation or Incredible S. Samsung Galaxy II, Moto Atrix. Any of those.

17. YayMii

Member YayMii hi

Canada
    If that was true, than it wasn't high-end when it came out. The Xperia play launched in April, and April to June is not 5 months.

18. Terminator02

United States
    i mean the specs in it were the very highest specs about 5 months ago, it then got taken over by dual core, but it still runs very smoothly, and it will remain that way at least up until ice cream sandwich

19. Kanibull

Newcomer Kanibull Newbie

United States
    the play is fast but not the fastest. it has decent specs that may last you a good while if you arent a spec whore. the stock gb comes into play to make it seem faster. a good example would be comparing the motorola atrix(motoblur) to the lg g2x(stock 2.2). even with the atrix having almost twice as much ram, it seems laggy compared to the g2x because of all the bloatware that it must load. both of those phones also use nvidia tegra2 dual core processors(2 cortex a9 cores). so in any respect the play is good but not as futureproof. slap a custom made rom on any phone and it will be buttery smooth.

20. Terminator02

United States
    well... yes, i agree