Hardware Powerbank & docks question

wiewiec

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Hi,

I am gonna buy powerbank and have question about risks. I wanna get powerbank that is safe and universal. I heard that protocols of switch isn't same as usb-c standard and third party chargers docks and chargers could fry console.

Same is with powerbank?

Could some one point me a powerbank and dock that is safe to use?

thorasgar

Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don’t know about the Switch not conforming to USB C standards but many use the Ravpower 26800 PD or the Anker 26800 PD. I beleive both brands have smaller USB PD Powerbanks as well now. The Anker is more expensive but includes a charger for the powerbank. With those you can charge and play the switch. A standard USB A 5V 2A powerbank will generally hold the switch battery steady while playing. I use this inexpensive one with the Pro Controller cable.

https://www.amazon.com/KMASHI-15000mAh-External-Portable-Powerful/dp/B00JP8MZGK

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi,

I am gonna buy powerbank and have question about risks. I wanna get powerbank that is safe and universal. I heard that protocols of switch isn't same as usb-c standard and third party chargers docks and chargers could fry console.

Same is with powerbank?

Could some one point me a powerbank and dock that is safe to use?
There haven't been any reports of powerbanks bricking consoles, but if you use a USB A-to-C cable, make sure it's 56k ohm resistance and not 10k ohm as the latter doesn't conform to spec and is known to fry devices (not just the Switch), for USB C-to-C that doesn't matter.

As for docks, this one looks good, they claim it's tested for safety and they even publicly promised to pay for the repair if anyone's Switch is bricked from it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1274541538/jumpgate-a-versatile-dock-for-switch-and-smart-dev
It has a bunch of useful features I haven't seen in other docks.
Also, it's firmware upgradable so any issues can be fixed with a firmware update.

Edit: Oh, also, I don't recommend using a 3rd party power supply or a powerbank docked. Undocked, it doesn't seem like there have been any power related bricks, issues start once you start using 3rd party accessories docked. A power supply or powerbank that can't provide 15V@2A+ won't be able to power the Switch in docked mode and results are unpredictable at best, and the combination of 3rd party PSU and 3rd party dock is the worst case scenario, since they not only both need to speak the same language as the Switch but they need to speak the same language as eachother.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by aykay55,

bundat

¿
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by aykay55,

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want a power bank, get the anker one, if you want to spend extra money, get the anker one licensed by nintendo, since it has exactly the same thing but the nintendo logo on it. Also 20100 means you can hold more power inside of it which is good.

https://gbatemp.net/review/anker-powercore-13400-nintendo-switch-edition.838/ :ninja:
Actually not true, it uses all the USB PD systems (it speaks the same language) the Nintendo Switch does so not to fry your battery. I strongly suggest watching the video I linked 4 posts above.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Nintendo Switch speaks a language that no one understands because we all know Nintendo loves to be different. It does not use the standard protocols.

Last edited by aykay55,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol