Powerbank & docks question

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories & Hardware' started by wiewiec, Sep 3, 2018.

1. wiewiec
    OP

wiewiec GBAtemp Fan

Dec 24, 2015
    Poland
    Somewhere
    Hi,

I am gonna buy powerbank and have question about risks. I wanna get powerbank that is safe and universal. I heard that protocols of switch isn't same as usb-c standard and third party chargers docks and chargers could fry console.

Same is with powerbank?

Could some one point me a powerbank and dock that is safe to use?

2. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    I don’t know about the Switch not conforming to USB C standards but many use the Ravpower 26800 PD or the Anker 26800 PD. I beleive both brands have smaller USB PD Powerbanks as well now. The Anker is more expensive but includes a charger for the powerbank. With those you can charge and play the switch. A standard USB A 5V 2A powerbank will generally hold the switch battery steady while playing. I use this inexpensive one with the Pro Controller cable.

https://www.amazon.com/KMASHI-15000mAh-External-Portable-Powerful/dp/B00JP8MZGK

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    There haven't been any reports of powerbanks bricking consoles, but if you use a USB A-to-C cable, make sure it's 56k ohm resistance and not 10k ohm as the latter doesn't conform to spec and is known to fry devices (not just the Switch), for USB C-to-C that doesn't matter.

As for docks, this one looks good, they claim it's tested for safety and they even publicly promised to pay for the repair if anyone's Switch is bricked from it: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1274541538/jumpgate-a-versatile-dock-for-switch-and-smart-dev
    It has a bunch of useful features I haven't seen in other docks.
    Also, it's firmware upgradable so any issues can be fixed with a firmware update.

Edit: Oh, also, I don't recommend using a 3rd party power supply or a powerbank docked. Undocked, it doesn't seem like there have been any power related bricks, issues start once you start using 3rd party accessories docked. A power supply or powerbank that can't provide 15V@2A+ won't be able to power the Switch in docked mode and results are unpredictable at best, and the combination of 3rd party PSU and 3rd party dock is the worst case scenario, since they not only both need to speak the same language as the Switch but they need to speak the same language as eachother.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye, Sep 4, 2018
  4. aykay55

aykay55 Professional Idiot

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    Last edited by aykay55, Sep 4, 2018
  5. bundat

bundat ¿

Jul 25, 2018
    Antarctica
  6. aykay55

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    It is also licensed but the one I linked is already available, and currently is the only licensed one on the market. This one is just a larger size but hasn't been released yet. But yeah, you should obviously wait for the larger capacity one if you can.

7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
  8. aykay55

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    Where the buffalo roam.
    Actually not true, it uses all the USB PD systems (it speaks the same language) the Nintendo Switch does so not to fry your battery. I strongly suggest watching the video I linked 4 posts above.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Nintendo Switch speaks a language that no one understands because we all know Nintendo loves to be different. It does not use the standard protocols.