Hacking Power Saving work with Real?

• Thread starter Tavis
  • Start date
  • Views 2,096
  • Replies 11
T

Tavis

OP
When I was running my games from their regular cartridges, I was able to close the lid and have the DS go into a low power mode that would sit for days with no problem. Now, when using my M3DS Real to play them, I close the lid and the battery dies. Does the Real support this function?

(sorry if this has been asked before, I did a search, but had no results)

path

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
thank you, I had the same question. I have a brand new dslite. Less than a month old. I was playing professor layton and my battery life seemed awesome. I would frequently close the lid to stop playing for a while (because I only get a little time to play). I started playing something on the m3 using isakureal. But now I notice the ds out of battery quite often.

path

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
would this be something the firmware needs to support or the cart itself? so for example is it possible sakura doesnt support it but the original firmware does?

burp61

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
unfortunatly i also noticed that when i played with the official cartridge then the battery would never run out but then on the m3 real, this is not supported and its becuase the cartridge needs more power than usual cartridge to read from the micro sd card and prolonged use would drain the battery.

path

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
the way I plan to use my ds, I frequently will have 5-10 minutes free to play. I was hoping I could close the lid and continue whenever. But if the battery dies so fast, by the time Im off work it might be off. So what other options do I have? Can I use the RTS and then shut the ds down, to resume later?

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I noticed that the M3 drains my DS when I have the lid closed too.

However, I found the following:
Check the very bottom of the Features list, second to the last line:
"Supports DS sleep mode"

M3DSR_Back_of_Box_Huge.jpg

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well my m3 does tun off the DSL screens and the green power light starts blinking with the original firmware
though frankly I just use RTS and shut it off
if I know it was gonna be quick then I would just close the ds

illithid

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Nope, power saving doesn't work with Real as the cart still drains battery like normal even in standby mode, and M3 cart drains battery faster than my other carts (namely EDGE and original R4).
What I noticed too is when in Sakura menu and I close the lid, the green power light blinks more rapidly than in "normal" standby mode (when a game was loaded), so maybe it just emulates a standby mode (turning off the screen, stop the sounds, etc.)

powerpuff

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For what it's worth, none of the other Slot-1 solutions offers this either. M3Real actually uses, in my experience, less power when the screen is closed than SuperCard or AceKard.

CycloDS has announced that they are working on (maybe it's out already and I missed it) a firmware update that would save power, but I think that it's just a RTS hack where it does an automatic "RTS + Powerdown" when the screen is closed...

And M3 team have said they would look into the same thing as well.

HiProfile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IIRC the review shows it having a battery life very close to the original carts with the lid up. I'm guessing the NDS essentially does what a PC does in standby - kill everything besides minimal power to the cpu and memory. The flashcards all seem to turn off the screen and speakers for their sleep mode, but that's about it. The mainboard/cpu/mem are still drawing power as usual.

The issue isn't the sd card memory - it requires zero power until you read/write to it. My guess is it has to do with it being a 'generic' FAT disk structure, just don't ask me to explain why.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs