Power Outtage Damage to Computer?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Raiser, Feb 28, 2011.

Feb 28, 2011
  1. Raiser
    OP

Member Raiser I am mad scientist.

Canada
    Hey guys,

It was rather rainy / windy in the Lower Mainland last night and I was up with some PC gaming when the power just get konked out.
    It turns back on about 10 minutes later, and I assume everything is alright so I turn it on again. Then at the desktop it gets konked out once more.

I look outside and see that the big gray thing (in our lane-way, my dad calls it the transformer) has no smoke or sparks coming from it and the casing has no black marks.
    BC Hydro comes along and spends 3 hours fixing / replacing it.

Then I fall asleep and wake up at midnight to see the power is back on.

I don't have a surge protector, so over the course of this affair, how much damage has my computer taken? o.0

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    If you do pick up a surge protector, make sure it's actually a surge protector and not just a "power strip". many power strips people buy aren't actually surge protectors.

3. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Right, thanks Rydian!

Would this be true?
    There was no lightning whatsoever, just wind and rain.

4. Sir VG

Member Sir VG GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Generally most times when the power goes out during a storm, unless the wiring in your house is crap, your computer should be just fine, barring you (or your computer naturally) aren't turning it back on right away. Usually more damage is caused by turning a computer off and on rapidly. Not saying a storm can't do damage - it just depends on what the storm hits.

5. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    First time it went out, I was gaming.
    After it came back on, I turned on my computer 2-3 minutes after and it *seemed* to have fully loaded to the desktop. Then it went out again.

EDIT: @ Rydian:
    If the power was cut during / before a cache flush causing missing / corrupt data, a system restore would theoretically *fix* everything (being system files & registry), would it not?

6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    The only physical damadge that might occour during an outage is:

A) Burning the fuse/fuses inside the power supply unit. Fixable by changing the fuses.
    B) Hard drive damage due to the header smacking againts the spinning disk (small probability of that happening).

MOST of today's power supply units are protected againts power outage. Your REAL enemy would be any large electric discharge (thunder hits the power lines, the local transformer, transformer malfunctioning, whatever other cause), although the likelyhood of THAT happening is minimal.

A power strip with fuses is always welcome though.

7. trumpet-205

Member trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

United States
    If you have the money, grab a UPS that has surge protector built in it. UPS will allow your computer to run about 10 mins after the outage, allowing you to shut down your computer properly.

8. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    I'd just like to add, most UPSs can integrate with your computer pretty nicely, such as giving you a notification and optionally turning off your computer automatically if configured to do so.
    EDIT: if you're willing to spend the money, they can become really useful tools.

9. Rydian

United States
    No. System restore does not actually turn back time like people think it does, and it only affects system things, not user things. A fix is just running checkdisk to fix the filesystem corruption. Any data lost is lost.

10. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    If your PSU dies and surges, it can cause damage to other parts of the system.

11. Raiser
    OP

Canada
    Yes, I know which is why I mentioned system files & registry. If I system restored then at least those files will remain intact right?
    User data I'm not too concerned about as all of my important files seem to be functioning properly.

12. Rydian

United States
    I'd count on checkdisk before system restore to fix filesystem corruption.

13. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    I believe Rydian is talking about actual damage to both the disk and the filesystem. Two things which are completely ignored in a standard system restore.