Potential Wii Hazards

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by suppachipmunk, Sep 20, 2008.

Sep 20, 2008

Potential Wii Hazards by suppachipmunk at 10:52 AM (1,364 Views / 0 Likes) 3 replies

1. suppachipmunk
    OP

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Hello all,

wanting to mod a brand new Wii bought from Best Buy. Just had a few questions about some of the potential hazards of modding the wii.

I looked around the forums and saw several terms that I have no clue what they are, how to get them, and how to get rid of them... If someone could explain them, I would be most appreciative. Thanks in advance.

Serial Number:
    LU57641XXXX

What Mod chip would I need, along with the Wii-Clip, I dont know how to solder and dont know anyone else who has steady hands or knows how.

I know how to do the Twilight Hack, and plan on installing the correct version of wii-clip once i figure out what version I need. Just need help with the following...

Bricking: I assume this happens from a botched firmware install.
    Banner Bricking: I have no clue what this is, how one gets this, or how one gets rid of this.
    Dual Channles: I know what this is, but how to does one get, or get rid of?
    Firmware updates on games: Self Explanatory, I read that you use Trucha to remove the update? Is it easy to do?
    Wii-Connect Firmware updates: Is it safe to download the updates and update the wii, or will the official firmware brick my wii?
    NTSC-U: It is an American Wii, and I just want to leave it that way. I only plan on playing USA games, so I dont think there will be a need to mess with the regional coding, or those of games. I am correct?

If anyone know of any other hazards, or just anything I should know before I proceed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help. I am sure that people ask these kinds of questions, and I appologize if they are noobish. I am new to the Wii scene.

2. atomikramp

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    as far as i know these things doesn't happen becouse of a mod chip installation.

btw: bricking means that the console is not electronically broken, but it's software doesn't work correctly and the console results unisable due to this errors.

banner bricking accours when you install a custom channel with a banner wich isn├Čt compliant to the wii channel banners specifications.

dual channel: i dunno exactly when it accours, but i think it has to deal with wrong region packages installation.

about the firmware updates on disks, you shouldn't have problems so far if you only have a modchip, but you must take care, since the modchips adds region-free functionality, you brick your wii if you install an update from a disk wich is from a different region from your console (ex: SSBB NTSC-U Update on a PAL wii)

so far, downloading firmware updates from the internet is safe, you should keep yourself informed and wait for more informations about future firmware upgrades.

about region free generally it's a feature from the modchip, so when you install it, you can play games from other regions.

3. suppachipmunk
    OP

Member suppachipmunk GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok, thanks.

So as long as I am careful, I should be ok.

Does anyone know what modchip I would need, or a site that would point me in the right direction?

Thanks again.

4. atomikramp

Member atomikramp GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    first you need to know wich version of the dvd drive you have in ur wii, for this you need to check your serial number...

after you know the version of the drive:
    D2A D2B D2C D2C2 D2E
    you can check for chips available for your specific driver version.