possibly wiped ext HDD

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by ctrlp, Jul 25, 2017.

1. ctrlp
    OP

ctrlp Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    United States
    Had my wiiu external HDD for playing my backs ups working for a while (was using fw.img for a while and decided to go Mocha). Today I bought a new enclosure that uses the C-Type wire as opposed to my Y-type. I transferred the HDD to the new enclosure, wiiu stopped reading HDD. Windows prompts me to initialize the HDD. Minitool partition tells me that there is nothing in the HDD. Did the HDD get wiped? any one encounter this before?

2. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    Have you tried using the previous enclosure/wire? Haven't encountered it myself though. But that's what i'd try first. It not showing in windows is probably because the Wii U uses its own file system

3. ctrlp
    OP

ctrlp Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    United States
    I sure as heck did try that first. I know windows shouldn't read the HDD, however when I tried a week back I know I didn't get the prompt to initialize the HDD as I am getting now.

4. ctrlp
    OP

ctrlp Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    United States
    Not sure how this happened but as I ran mini partition scan to see/recover partition, It showed nothing. I decided to place it back in to wiiu for a possible format and all the games reappeared again. Now I am afraid to use nice new enclosure :/ best back up every thing now!

5. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    don't mess with the hdd in windows or a possible reformat will be forced on u by the wii u.

6. ctrlp
    OP

ctrlp Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    United States
    Thanks and even though I'm sure you are right, I have been able to get plug it into windows and back to wiiu w no problem (I did it a few times in the past for testing purposes). I'm not sure if this time it's what fixed the HDD but it's working now. And I know the HDD isn't failing.

7. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    I mean if u initialize it in windows. simply plugging it in shouldn't do anything, but initializing it in disk management should force a reformat on the wii u. the hdd shouldn't be readable in windows, only showing unallocated memory if u look it up in disk management.

8. ctrlp
    OP

ctrlp Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    United States
    Yeah you're absolutely right. Initializing through windows will cause the HDD to format which is what I DON'T want. I wanted to see if it was dead and what mini partition told me about it before I reformatted thus needed windows for this.

9. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    if u think the hdd is dying, plug in a second hdd and transfer the games/saves over to it. were u changing enclosures due to issues with its original enclosure?

10. ctrlp
    OP

ctrlp Member

Newcomer
    Apr 20, 2014
    United States
    I was changing enclosures because I'm ocd about my set up and the enclosure I have is many years old that uses a 2.0 Y cable. I saw a nice one on amazon that matches my setup and uuses the 3.0 usb cable so I went with it.

I'm guessing that backing up the HDD with a 2nd HDD is all done through the wiiu?

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I'm more concerned with backing up the saves over my games as I have them all on my shelf. My wife and son would be sad if I wiped their game saves :P

11. godreborn

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    use saviine for saves. I have mine all backed up after an hdd had to be reformatted. I'm using a usb 3.0 hdd myself along with a couple extension cables and a y cable. it's given me no problems. this is one I didn't take out of an enclosure, so it's fully stock.