Possible software fix for sleeping of HDDs with USBLoader

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by telekenetix, Apr 24, 2009.

1. telekenetix
    OP

Newcomer telekenetix Member

United States
    So, basically I think it is horrible that the only way people are able to fix the hard drive sleeping problem is by hooking it up to their computer and setting the sleep time to 5 hours.

The problem should not be solved with this hacked together method, but rather by keeping the hard drive spinning when it wants to go to sleep. Since Wii games load a lot into memory and only access the disk for music/videos and other resources, the issue that we need to solve is related to this, not the HDD's sleep time.

What I would like to do is periodically perform a seek (or some other action) while the disk is idle to keep it awake. I have looked through the code of some USBLoaders already and am having some trouble making sense of it all. So, if anyone can help me out by pointing me in the right direction (or take my idea and build on it if you like [​IMG] )

It occurs to me that it might not be possible to do this via the USBLoader code because I am not sure how active, if at all, the USBLoader code is once the actual game is launched from it. In this case, might it be possible to make some sort of modification to a IOS or the USB driver?

2. telekenetix
    OP

United States
  3. telekenetix
    OP

United States
    Is this in the wrong forum or something?

Or does no one understand what I am saying...?

4. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    prob cos it can't be done

5. WiiBlaster

Member WiiBlaster GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    first off what do you mean by a hacked together method?

My hard drive came with legit Software, and allows me to set the sleep time to never not 5 Hours I see nothing better than that, Most hard drives can be done the same way,

Plus isn't their already some new Usb Loaders that already have this Fixed?

6. Kekkon

Member Kekkon GBAtemp Regular

United States
    @WiiBlaster:
    For people like me who's software doesn't HAVE an option to change sleep time this would be really helpful, and no there isn't a 'fix' even on the latest version I still get freezing on my HDD, which is why I'm using a fairly large SD card while waiting for an actual fix.

I understand what you mean telekenetix, seems feasible if someone who knows anything about it would help.

7. Gamii

Newcomer Gamii Member

Spain
    Latest IOS222 by Hermes fixes it. I hope USB GUI Loader gives an option to use it.

8. TiMeBoMb4u2

Member TiMeBoMb4u2 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I'm not a coder, but I think this could be a very simple wrapper fix!

Similar to the Ocarina Cheat System, someone could design a wrapper that would attempt to access the HD every "X" amount of minutes. Doing this would keep the disc spinning!!

Just an idea!

TiMeBoMb
    [​IMG]

9. telekenetix
    OP

United States
    That is essentially what I would want to do, but I think after some research that it is either best done in the IOS or the actual USB driver. I think it makes more sense to have the IOS do it, but since it seems Hermes may have already implemented this, I am not sure there is anything for me to do...

I will have to wait and see. In the meantime, I may take at look and see if I can make a revision to some IOS and see how it turns out. [​IMG]