Possible dev unit PS4 control.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will have to use the Dpad to tell and I am reserving all judgement until word of the triggers; I am with Gahars in that it needs to be all a la the 360 or nothing for me to care. That said I am probably on record as being one that really dislikes the dual shock controller (it does not work for long sessions and the rear buttons are pretty much the whole problem for me) so yeah.

Touchpad- I say go for it. After the DS every menu system on a console that is not a mouse feels horribly antiquated so even if it only gets used for those I can get there. I know it will probably end up used for nasty QTE stuff. Done well it could be a third stick of sorts and that could do camera issues a world of good.
If the light on top can change colours as signals of a form (health bar, warm/cold directions, some other bar....) that would be great, I fear there is probably some disability (reasonable logic, horribly limiting in practice) stuff that might kick that in the head though.

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lack of "Start" and "Select" kinda ruins the backwards compatibility. I was actually hoping for a touchscreen and not a touchpad :/ Looks more like a PS branded Ouya controller. At least Ouya users who like symmetrical thumb sticks can buy this beast and be happy :P

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lack of "Start" and "Select" kinda ruins the backwards compatibility. I was actually hoping for a touchscreen and not a touchpad :/ Looks more like a PS branded Ouya controller. At least Ouya users who like symmetrical thumb sticks can buy this beast and be happy :P

You can just map them to the touchpad.

zanfire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
IGN is saying that it is in fact a dev unit...though an early one. http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/15/is-this-playstation-4s-controller

still find a small touchpad (which looks smaller than even the vita's backpad one) a bit weird. I guess seeing how the Wii U pad works, having it be small and screenless is gonna be weird for me. Either way, give em some uncharted and il be a happy camper.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I'd actually would have liked if they followed the Vita with the touchpad at the back. The current position seems a bit awkward. But meh who know. It might just work.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, if it does block used games...

c2bOTPq.gif

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, if it does block used games...

c2bOTPq.gif

That is... hilarious.... lol

Edit: On the whole used game blocking thing, I think the console will support it but the publishers/devs will be the ones deciding on to use it or not. EA of course will use it across the boad for all of its games.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I just noticed the speaker on the controller. THANK YOU, Sony for justifying Nintendo when they stuck a speaker on the Wii Remote :P
I just hope the speaker is at least a bit better quality/the sounds being output are of better quality. It's horrible when the Wiimote starts to vibrate and let sounds out compared to my high end speakers..

As for the design itself, I'm interested in how the touchpad can be used in games. The PSVita touchpad has had some quite cool uses, but just as well some pretty awkward. Move integration is kinda cool.. Finally the people who turn the controller for better control in racing games can get real use out of it ("DURRR GO, CAR, GO!")

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So apparently there's another photo of a (much more polished) prototype PS4 controller making the rounds online.

P6Op9of.jpg
Also, it's a shame that the controller will only have a touchpad - this is a pretty neat idea.

I0Q3KPD.gif

Reactions: Veho

Dead End

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I heard that the PS4 Would have a touch based screen on it, I instantly thought of something like this.
how-could-the-wii-2-controller-work-20110415053115064_640w.jpg

Kinda sad to see the prototype.. :/
Especially with the Move Bar on top...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/_NsOxG2zwWA?si=oK21qVNxgd98AyJT