Hacking Porting Android?

dubbz82

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know if there's any technical reason we couldn't take a build of say lineage for a shield tablet and port it over to the switch? I'm curious if this is something that's already being worked on or if there's some reason it can't be done.

ScarletDreamz

[Debug Mode]
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Android would be nice, so we can easily run APK files.

Not to mentions, the Wii games released on the Nvidia Shield, are running on an emulator., meaning that an APK port would be nice. sure thing full OS support like Linux would be nice, but also android its a touch based system. so +1 point for that.
Note that Ubuntu, Debian and Fedora also fit on the touchscreen OS.

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Already exists. Just not in public.

https://t.co/X1zNSYo3Uw

DbzQ7MzXcAEhRao.jpg

Looter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Well, i would gladly use my switch as an android tablet for communication and appication use over my 5.5 inch phone... So... there is your answer why...

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
Already exists. Just not in public.

https://t.co/X1zNSYo3Uw
Five points and a free washing mashine to the "we only look pictures, now - instagram taught us to" fraction. (Oh, I can't wait untill they get to legal voting age...) Reading the tweet stream would have actually told them, that this is not android, but linux running anbox.

Yet, an Androud port is possible and the closest we've come so far is a pretty well known dev showing interest.

Thats it on the Android front so far.

edit: Just saw, that this was corrected already. Sorry - I'm late.. ;)

Last edited by notimp,

nesadi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
But why android when any linux distro is clearly superior?

Because of all the apps available for Android, all of which are already optimized for a touch interface. There are also all kinds of emulators already available that wouldn't need to be ported.

Reactions: Insom

wicksand420

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be interesting to get a hold of a dumped copy of plantera and decrypt it to see if it has any similarities to the one for android.

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
The Switch OS isn't open source. The chances that it gets reverse engineered to the point where you could port it - are slim. Also considering, that this would be illegal... ;) (Porting and or reversing (depending on your region), but porting - definitively so. :) )

Anbox was qouted as the source for that image in the chatlog it "came up" (If I'm not mistaken (Im about 80% confident.. ;) )) - but then, people ran with the image, not with the text next to it.

Last edited by notimp,

Insom

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My two cents... I see no reason the switch could not run android... The Tegra architecture has flourished on Android, and the only hardware I can see that needs driver support so far is sound and the power management, but, please correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen people say this version of Tegra is modified, but I don't see it... I know the switch runs at a lower clock than say the Shield TV, but from what I've read that's all software side... Personally I don't know if the X1 SOC has the sound as part of the system, but I'm guessing not since Linux has no sound yet. personally I'd like to see an android port, especially with the shield stuff they added on... (Half life 2 and portal would be nice to have on the Switch) but ultimately I'd like to have my Marvel Unlimited app running on a tablet I already own without buying more hardware... The switch stands to be a great all in one device.

Last edited by Insom,
Reactions: TheSynthax

nmkd

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
My two cents... I see no reason the switch could not run android... The Tegra architecture has flourished on Android, and the only hardware I can see that needs driver support so far is sound and the power management, but, please correct me if I'm wrong. I've seen people say this version of Tegra is modified, but I don't see it... I know the switch runs at a lower clock than say the Shield TV, but from what I've read that's all software side... Personally I don't know if the X1 SOC has the sound as part of the system, but I'm guessing not since Linux has no sound yet. personally I'd like to see an android port, especially with the shield stuff they added on... (Half life 2 and portal would be nice to have on the Switch) but ultimately I'd like to have my Marvel Unlimited app running on a tablet I already own without buying more hardware... The switch stands to be a great all in one device.

The Tegra X1 is indeed not modified, the only change is the clockspeed but that's not hardcoded/hardware-bound.

Reactions: Insom

lembi2001

Trophies
XP
Country
The Switch OS isn't open source. The chances that it gets reverse engineered to the point where you could port it - are slim. Also considering, that this would be illegal... ;) (Porting and or reversing (depending on your region), but porting - definitively so. :) )

notimp, as far as I can tell in this thread no one has mentioned porting the Switch OS???? I think you may have your wires crossed.

Reactions: Insom and nmkd

notimp

Trophies
XP
Country
Laos
If this is not the result of an unfortunate thread merge (it might not be), but I could swear...

As for this thread and the question at hand, you are absolutely right.

D

Deletedmember331810

If this is not the result of an unfortunate thread merge (it might not be), but I could swear...

As for this thread and the question at hand, you are absolutely right.

It was another thread that you saw. They also had threads about Windows 10 on Switch and Shield TV on Switch.

You are not crazy, lol ;)

Last edited by ,
Reactions: notimp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Good old American calories not good enough for the namby pamby metric boys?