Portable games console Gamestick set to launch

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
While it may seem that all gaming eyes are on what is next from the likes of Microsoft and Sony in the console war, there are in fact some smaller new players hoping to gain a passionate following of their own.

The Gamestick, developed by British firm Playjam, is a portable games console based on Google Android's mobile operating system.

The core hardware is contained in a small stick that can be plugged into the HD socket on any modern television.

The project was funded via Kickstarter, with $647,658 (£427,750) raised by more than 5,000 backers

It has got competition sure, but purely from the point of view of its portability, I'm really interested in this. Of course you need a tv with HDMI but with my summer holidays coming, and me sitting here sorting out music and movies for the kids to take with us, this looked like something that would perfectly for travel gaming. We have already got 3DS' but still I like its style.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
While it may seem that all gaming eyes are on what is next from the likes of Microsoft and Sony in the console war, there are in fact some smaller new players hoping to gain a passionate following of their own.

The Gamestick, developed by British firm Playjam, is a portable games console based on Google Android's mobile operating system.

The core hardware is contained in a small stick that can be plugged into the HD socket on any modern television.

The project was funded via Kickstarter, with $647,658 (£427,750) raised by more than 5,000 backers

Source : http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22657667

It has got competition sure, but purely from the point of view of its portability, I'm really interested in this. Of course you need a tv with HDMI but with my summer holidays coming, and me sitting here sorting out music and movies for the kids to take with us, this looked like something that would perfectly for travel gaming. We have already got 3DS' but still I like its style.

It looks like the stick fits into the HDMI port ( more common ) rather then the USB.
Just because it looks like a USB stick doesn't mean it is one.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It looks like the stick fits into the HDMI port ( more common ) rather then the USB.
Just because it looks like a USB stick doesn't mean it is one.
It looks like that because that's exactly what it does. The HDMI contact is there to provide video output to the TV as well as power to the console itself.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
I wonder if it will have an unlocked bootloader like the Ouya does (so that it can be rooted and have the google play store installed).

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
'The core hardware is contained in a small stick that can be plugged into the HD socket on any modern television.'

That means my TV does not support it! ;D

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The creepy thing is that this thing grabs my attention more than the xbox one. And I'm not kidding or trying to troll microsoft here. I mean it: they're far more playing in what I would like to see from a console than those guys.

But yeah..."it's got competition" is putting it mildly. For one: how will this scale up to the ouya?

Second...what's the point of it being portable? It's not like you can game on the go or anything. And the main reason to bring it to friends...well, McHaggis mentioned it: it really needs local multiplayer to have a chance. And I'm not sure the android store has a lot of those (assuming you can even connect two or more controllers to begin with).

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The creepy thing is that this thing grabs my attention more than the xbox one. And I'm not kidding or trying to troll microsoft here. I mean it: they're far more playing in what I would like to see from a console than those guys.

But yeah..."it's got competition" is putting it mildly. For one: how will this scale up to the ouya?

It's not as powerful and it lacks a touchpad for mouse input. (Seeing that Android is a touch-based OS, the lack of a mouse pointer hurts.)

You're almost better off just buying an Android stick with BT support. Or buy an OUYA.

Second...what's the point of it being portable? It's not like you can game on the go or anything. And the main reason to bring it to friends...well, McHaggis mentioned it: it really needs local multiplayer to have a chance. And I'm not sure the android store has a lot of those (assuming you can even connect two or more controllers to begin with).

It has Bluetooth, and you should be able to connect a second BT controller. The games need to support multiplayer, though. Many emulators do.

Reactions: LightyKD

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
I think the term "portable" is misleading, since it's not a portable console in the usual sense of the word. "Tiny" or "easily carryable" or "pocketable" would be a better description.

I don't think that will work. DVI can only supply 50-55mA of current on the 5V rail. That android stick has to draw more than that. According to HDMI specs, the HDMI rail is meant to be current limited to 500mA.

It may work, or it may smoke your TV.
The GameStick can also be powered from a USB port (if the TV or any nearby device has one available), or those USB power adapters. I don't know if you get one with the device, but they're cheap these days.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
It's way better than the OUYA for sure. Cheaper, more compact, and people are saying it has better hardware as well.

Of course, "better" still isn't good. I don't want to play games made for phones on my TV. But if I did, the GameStick is way nicer looking than the OUYA.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
OP
Developer
Trophies
XP
It's portable in the sense you can throw it yer bag/pocket and play it when you get to any hdtv, its not portable in the play while you travel genre, but if that's a complaint then you're missing the concept.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: