(poll) Which console has the most retarded name?

Which console has the most retarded name?

• Wiiu. Or is it wii u? In any case: the nintendo one

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • Ouya. Tarzan could do the commercials on this console

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Xbox one. Because how else would you name your THIRD console?

Votes: 36 44.4%
  • PS4. Check out the originality on THOSE guys!

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Hah! I know a MUCH MORE stupid console name. It is the ...<please explain>

Votes: 4 4.9%

• Total voters

Taleweaver

Storywriter
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
For the record: my own decision is with the wiiu. The fact that I own the thing and STILL DON'T KNOW whether it's actually supposed to be "wiiu" or "wii u" by itself is an issue on itself, but that it's confusing to everyone else and still has that juvenile issue that the wii had is kind of unforgiving.
So yeah...microsoft is terrible at names as well, but as Jdbye mentioned: that'll get used to (see also: xbox360).

And I kind of predicted nobody would vote for PS4. But of course, it could not exactly be missing on a poll about consoles. :)

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What about the Xbox Fail? "Ladies and gentlemen, we now present the Xbox Fail! This machine can play Blu-ray discs in widescreen format with 1080p resolution!" (okay...)

I'd say the Xbox One since that it's not the first console of Microsoft, and they're pretty much cancelling out their previous consoles. What's next - Xbox Two in another 8 years? LOL

Xbox Two? That's so stupid.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, all the names are shit. At least Nintendo 64 had the merit of playing on a technology jump--after that, it's just random words to describe the function of a system.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be honest, all the names are shit. At least Nintendo 64 had the merit of playing on a technology jump--after that, it's just random words to describe the function of a system.

The Gamecube was shaped like a cube, so that one makes sense. Xbox was short for Direct-X Box, being a box that used Direct-X.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Gamecube was shaped like a cube, so that one makes sense. Xbox was short for Direct-X Box, being a box that used Direct-X.
And what do shapes have to do with how one plays their games? It's trying to sell an aesthetic quality that is irrelevant to its games.

At least PlayStation stayed a bit truer to the idea of denoting a videogame console, rather than a piece of plastic.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U and Xbox One are both bad but I think Wii U is worst. Like Wii-U, what's the point of the name? At least Microsoft thought of something like "ALL IN ONE GAMING SYSTEM!".
Ouya and PS4 are fine.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And what do shapes have to do with how one plays their games? It's trying to sell an aesthetic quality that is irrelevant to its games.

At least PlayStation stayed a bit truer to the idea of denoting a videogame console, rather than a piece of plastic.

huh? You said after the N64 it was "random words to describe the function" and now you're complaining that my example in countering your assertion didn't describe the function? And how is the PlayStation any truer to the idea of a video game console than the Gamecube? The Playstation is a station at which you play. The Gamecube is a cube upon which you can play games.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Inb4 Gahars says, "Ouya? Oh no!"

Anyway, I'm not quite sure... The Wii U is a silly name, for sure, but I don't think it's absolutely terrible. Xbox One sounds a tad confusing, but aside from that, at least the name has some meaning behind it ("It's an all-in-one entertainment system!"). PlayStation makes enough sense. It's a station for playing games, and each one is named numerically.

Off the top of my head, I think I'm going to go with either the Ouya, the Virtual Boy (why put "boy" in the title when it's not even a handheld?), or the Neo Geo Pocket Color (seriously, what straight grade school boy wanted to get caught playing a system with a name like that?).

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
huh? You said after the N64 it was "random words to describe the function" and now you're complaining that my example in countering your assertion didn't describe the function? And how is the PlayStation any truer to the idea of a video game console than the Gamecube? The Playstation is a station at which you play. The Gamecube is a cube upon which you can play games.
A station provides service; a cube provides what?

I'd go further, but seeing as you've turned aggressive at so empty a conversation, I think it best to leave you be.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A station provides service; a cube provides what?

I'd go further, but seeing as you've turned aggressive at so empty a conversation, I think it best to leave you be.

If that is what passes for aggression, I don't know how you've survived so long on the internet.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"What's the deal with the Gameboy? It's not a game, and it's not a boy!" - Jerry Seinfeld, in my dreams every night

I really do think that the Wii U was an awful, awful choice on Nintendo's part. It doesn't communicate, well, anything about the system at all (the Xbox One, for as dumb as it is, at least hints at the "All-in-one" nature of the device). It doesn't even seem to be all that distinct from the Wii - and considering how many peripherals the Wii had, distinguishing the follow up console from the original is pretty important.

Say what you will about the originality of numbering systems, but they're used for a reason - they are an easy, efficient, and effective method of branding your devices for the sake of consumers.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel that the Wii U has the worst name simply because of how misleading it is. I still know a few people who still seem to think that the Wii U is just an overpriced controller accessory for the Wii, so it is evident that consumer confusion is still a problem, which is one of the many causes for its poor sales.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I always thought Dreamcast was a stupid name, but way better than Wii, Wii U, or Ouya (whatever that is).

Xbox One, only dumb because it's the third Xbox and creates confusion with the original Xbox, which has been called stuff like XB1 to differentiate it from the 360. On it's own, not a particularly dumb name.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    my school has a chrome extension called light speed filter agent and it legit blocks YouTube pfps since the file cdn(I think aka yt3.ggpht.com) is classed as mature
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    mhm
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    they have other stuff like goguardian too
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Ours mainly relied on the router, I believe.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    our school network and chrome policies block stuff too
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    alot of yt to mp3 sites are blocked by light speed for "Security"
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was easy to bypass some of the restrictions, as one of the admins left a registry key in the administrative shares drive, which allowed me to get around the blocking of some sites.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    tf does tta mean
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    yeah this is chrome os
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    cant do shit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Wdym 'TTA'?
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    that* as in why yt to mp3 sites are blocked for security
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Remember when YouTubetoMP3 was a thing back in the 2010s?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Until YT updated some stuffs and broke the website.
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    I was 2 in 2010
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Oh lol
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    This was in the Minecraft-era.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    lol Bun rockin out at 2 :rofl2:
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    same tbh