Homebrew Discussion [POLL] FAT32 vs. exFAT | issue discussion

What do you use and did you face any issues?

• FAT32 - no issues yet

Votes: 151 21.4%
  • FAT32 - I had issues

Votes: 13 1.8%
  • exFAT - no issues yet

Votes: 412 58.5%
  • exFAT - I had issues

Votes: 128 18.2%

• Total voters

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
UPDATE: This thread is completely pointless. ExFAT is a ticking timebomb. It might work with Horizon OS and Switch games but as soon as you use any homebrew related stuff it can (and will) happen, that it corrupts over time and might lead to a complete loss of data.
Also there's absolutely no reason to stay on exFAT at all. Installed games are splitted into <4GB chunks. The only problem would be too big XCI or NSP files and both can be splitted.
Also (instead of splitting) too big NSP files can be installed with Goldleaf 0.5+ or tinfoil either over network or USB from a PC.

So don't use exFAT! Use FAT32 with 32 k cluster size (using GUIformat) and don't cry if you're not.

The community is currently divided into two camps when it comes to how to format the micro SD card for the switch.

While exFAT allows bigger files than 4 GB which comes in handy for "backup" users dealing with large XCI or NSP files, some people are saying it has issues with some homebrews and leads to corruption. It's an often read thing especially in the RetroArch thread.
However there are also people which were using exFAT since day one and never had any issues so far, even with RetroArch.
Also many of you said here that one should join the exFAT master race train.

I'd like to have people posting here their issues they had while using FAT32 and/or exFAT to get a better picture what's causing those issues and which would be the preferable one to stay with.

Two notes:
  1. Formatting a mSD card to exFAT using a Mac has been reported multiple times to lead to issues like data corruption or folders like the switch folder being invisible for the hbmenu.
  2. Tinfoil is about to receive a network installation update so installing NSP files bigger than 4 GB might be doable on FAT32 cards in the future. XCI files can be splitted since ages. ;)
Consider adding your Horizon FW version to your post as that might be helpful to find out where issues appear and where not. Don't hesistate to edit your post if you already replied.

Last edited by lordelan,

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
It might be worth mentioning (for those that post) which method did they use to format the SD to exfat, and also if they updated the Switch manually (with the no-burn fuse method for exfat/firmware) of if they updated the Switch officially through the usual method.

Reactions: lordelan

lordelan

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm using a 64 GB FAT32 card right now. Formatted it with GuiFormat_x64 to have 32 k cluster size and never had any issues.
I installed NSP games with SX OS, with tinfoil, used ReiNX, RejNX, Atmosphère, SX OS, updated my firmware with raj's long guide, made a full NAND backup before with hekate, used RetroArch a lot switching between multiple games and everything worked so far.

FW 5.1.0

Last edited by lordelan,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Using exfat here. Not had an issue yet, but don't really use homebrew, only used hekate to backup nand. I updated firmware normally and got the exfat update through Nintendo.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm on a exFAT card but haven't used homebrew extensively since reading about these issues. Normal Switch games have zero problems of course.
Anyone know why these corruption issues aren't affecting everyone? Is there anything homebrew devs can do on their end to make their projects more exFAT friendly?

JK_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually switched back to FAT32 from exFat because of corruption. It's not really consistent either. I could do multiple "dump everything" test runs without issue, but then randomly a screenshot or moving a single file from save to sd would corrupt. I just wound up going back to save myself the constant formatting while testing stuff.

Rune

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Something like DevMenu and Switch games were the intended use of the device, especially with its official exFAT update, so Nintendo wouldn't put that out there if it had the possibility of corrupting your mSD card data.
My understanding is that its things like homebrew and emulators that cause the issues.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
I went from Fat32 to ExFat on a 64GB SDXC SanDisk and I could not run homebrew until I did the following

1. Plug in SD Card
2. Select all files and folders at root
3. Right click on selection, choose properties
4. Go to Advanced, uncheck Archive files and folders (apply to subdirectories)
5. Safely Remove, Done!

Seems this has been an issue for a while.

Reactions: mdmachine

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I went from Fat32 to ExFat on a 64GB SDXC SanDisk and I could not run homebrew until I did the following

1. Plug in SD Card
2. Select all files and folders at root
3. Right click on selection, choose properties
4. Go to Advanced, uncheck Archive files and folders (apply to subdirectories)
5. Safely Remove, Done!

Seems this has been an issue for a while.
Archive files and folders?
What does that do?

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
>Tinfoil is about to receive a network installation update so installing NSP files bigger than 4 GB might be doable on FAT32
For realz? Sounds extremely useful.

jakkal

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Tinfoil is about to receive a network installation update so installing NSP files bigger than 4 GB might be doable on FAT32
For realz? Sounds extremely useful.
you still wont be able install large games if the nca is bigger than 4GB

Treeko

Trophies
XP
Country
I have had a few issues with exfat, RetroarchNX corrupted some files on my sd card, thankfully I made a backup of my SD card contents beforehand so it was as easy as formatting and copying the files over again, also I just use the normal windows formatting tool, quick format with restore device default allocation size option, backup games work flawlessly but its homebrew thats the issue, so just got a separate 32gb fat32 formatted card for retroNX and other homebrew stuff, I'd recommend people stay away from RetroNX kind of homebrew if they are using a large SD card which is formatted as exfat because it can definitely corrupt files, but it won't damage your card, just get a cheap spare card for homebrew its the best route you can take for homebrew or experimenting with different cfw's.

Reploid

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I have had a few issues with exfat, RetroarchNX corrupted some files on my sd card, thankfully I made a backup of my SD card contents beforehand so it was as easy as formatting and copying the files over again, also I just use the normal windows formatting tool, quick format with restore device default allocation size option, backup games work flawlessly but its homebrew thats the issue, so just got a separate 32gb fat32 formatted card for retroNX and other homebrew stuff, I'd recommend people stay away from RetroNX kind of homebrew if they are using a large SD card which is formatted as exfat because it can definitely corrupt files, but it won't damage your card, just get a cheap spare card for homebrew its the best route you can take for homebrew or experimenting with different cfw's.
I reccomned a lifehack. Format your SD using Samsung branded tool (using full 'overwrite' method). They work better after this. Dunno how, magic. Trick back from DS days.

D

Deleted-351540

if you use fat32 for anything other than lakka you need to be slapped
No, you need to be slapped. I used exFAT for quite some time on my Switch only using RetroNX. Card corrupted. Formatted it back to exFAT and copied everything back over. Three days later... Corrupted.

Even the homebrew developers suggest using FAT32/32k cluster cards. Obviously they're wrong and you're right though.

Vinnymac

Trophies
Website
nds-roms.com
XP
Country
United States
Archive files and folders?
What does that do?

I used ChoiDujourNX to get 5.1.0 w/ the exfat update. After everything was successful I shut down the system and removed my SD card. Formatted to ExFat on Windows 10 (Quick Format) and moved the files to the SD Card. I checked the files and they all had the archive bit enabled. You can see some discussion around how Horizon has expectations for this here. Although in that thread they seem to imply adding the bit helps under specific circumstances.

In any case I thought I would share in case anyone looks here for a potential solution to move from Fat32 to ExFat successfully.

Reactions: lordelan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto