Pokewalker app idea

Discussion in 'NDS - ROM Hacking and Translations' started by blopa, Mar 22, 2010.

Mar 22, 2010

Pokewalker app idea by blopa at 3:23 PM (29,571 Views / 0 Likes) 63 replies

1. blopa
    OP

Member blopa GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    hello folks!
    I was thinking about Pokewalker yeasterday, and I thought: hey, someone could make a app to send .pkm files to Pokewalker via PC with a USB IR ADAPTER.
    Thinking about it, it looks very impossible... to "crack" the HGSS algorithm and build it on an app for PC. But we have something like that with pkmsender (http://www.gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=211989). I don't know much about programing and cracking, but it's only a idea (a good one) so if some programmer liked it, could build one for us =D
    And i think it's possible to make on app for mobile phones too, that have IR.
    I think this is a good idea because some people that play the game on flash card, could just buy the Pokewalker (which is cheap http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs/store...rencyPreference ) and be happy =D
    well, let's talk about that.
    thanks

2. elixirdream

Member elixirdream GBAtemp Legend

Malaysia
    count me out... since i could not get any [​IMG]
    they don't do international shipping !!!

argh

3. BerserkLeon

Member BerserkLeon Not-so-new member

United States
    I'd like such a program, because the only reason I'm getting the retail is for the pokewalker... and my laptop already has an IR port.
    though because I haven't played with the pokewalker yet, I can't really say if something like this would work or not.

4. bubuzuke

Newcomer bubuzuke Newbie

Brazil
    great idea man!! wow, hope someone make this happen! =D

5. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    It won't work, this topic won't go anywhere. I have the Pokewalker and the retail copy and can assure you that this idea won't work, simple as that.

6. blopa
    OP

Brazil
    why?

7. Demonbart

Member Demonbart GBATemp's guitar hero

Netherlands
    This sounds like a great idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if nintendo thought of it and built a bit of code into the game that checks if it's possible that that pokemon is on the pokewalker.
    If that's not the case, then it's a great idea!

8. Narukari

Newcomer Narukari Newbie

United States
    Do you have any way of sniffing the packets that gets transmitted between the pokewalker and the game? If you can, that will be the first step in trying to duplicate it with a computer.

Edit:

I don't think you can just buy the pokewalker if you are using a flash card, since the retail cart has an IR transmitter to communicate with the pokewalker. Without the transmitter you won't be able to do anything with the pokewalker.

9. blopa
    OP

Brazil
    exactly! That's why i'm sugesting this app. with this, you don't need the original retail card, you'll only need a USB IR adapter for the PC. got it? =D

10. Overlord Nadrian

Banned Overlord Nadrian Banned

Belgium
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but it just won't work. The PokéWalkers are made to be used with the retail game carts.

11. blopa
    OP

Brazil
    100% sure? i know it's made to work on retail carts.. but that's why there is crackers =D

12. TM2-Megatron

Member TM2-Megatron Predacon Commander

Canada
    And the GTS was designed to be used with the online system Nintendo has set up... that didn't stop someone from developing a way to manipulate it to send *.pkm files directly from your PC to your retail cart using the GTS.

A program like this would probably need to be designed to interface with a Hg/Ss *.sav file on your hard disk, but it could probably be done by someone with the right skills.

13. Overlord Nadrian

Belgium
    I can give you one big difference between the GTS and the PokéWalker.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

14. blopa
    OP

Brazil
    yes, it is... but it uses software to transfer the data! so... can be cracked.
    you dont need to crack THE POKEWALKER, just make some app for PC, that has the algorithm that "emulate" the algorithm from HGSS retail carts.

15. Overlord Nadrian

Belgium
    There might be something in the PokéWalker that makes sure it can only accept IR signals from HGSS game carts.

16. TM2-Megatron

Canada
    That's irrelevant. If someone has the hardware and skill to determine exactly what data is being sent over IR between the retail cart and Pokewalker, then software could be written to simulate the cart making use of a USB IR adapter.

17. CrashmanX

Member CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

United States
    I can easily give a few reasons as to why this wont work

1. The pokewalker interacts using an IR port only found on the Retail Cart, you might be able to trick it.
    2. This would only be useful if you had the Pokewalker and not the Retail Cart as the Retail Cart registers which pokewalker is assigned to it and remembers what Pokemon was put on there, so that way should you lose your pokewalker it you can get your pokemon back.

Basically as I already stated, its only good if you lost your retail cart, and at that point its not even worth it.

18. TM2-Megatron

Canada
    #2 is why I mentioned that such an app might need a Hg/Ss *.sav file to interact with while communicating with the Pokewalker. Save file researchers would need to find out exactly where and how your save registers a specific Pokewalker. In the same way that Pokesav allows you to edit a save file in a way that results in data which is no different from if you'd done it through actual gameplay, a Pokewalker app like that could manipulate the save file in a similar way.

19. blopa
    OP

Brazil
    @CrashmanX
    how can you really think is impossible? dude... there is a hack/crack for everything on this planet. some hackers have installed linux on a potato... ON A POTATO! yeah http://www.bbspot.com/news/2008/12/linux-on-a-potato.html
    so yes... i believe it's possible... we just need some atention from some good homebrew developher.

20. Overlord Nadrian

Belgium
    That's bullshit and you know it.

@TM2: Did you read my next reply? There might be something in the PokéWalker (be it hard- or software) that blocks any IR signal but those from the retail game cart.