ROM Hack Pokemon White 2 move speed editing?

DerpTaco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was wondering if there is a way to edit the walk or run speed in Pokemon White 2. Is there any tools or anything that I could use to do this?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Used to that turbo mode on emulators huh.

Anyway I don't know what the dedicated pokemon forums are doing here (most of those just use emulators though) and not much in the way of options to overclock a DS or anything that runs DS games. I have certainly not heard of anything and such a thing would have probably spread around quite quickly to various training, emulator and whatnot circles rather than the usual unbalanced and changed starter stuff.

Generally speaking editing walk speed is doable (I mean when you are on a bike or something it will go faster so clearly something can be done) but is often one of the more tricky hacks and not something you really want to go in cold for, saving that there is an option in the menu to change it already and you want more still. Not impossible but a lot harder than messing with text, graphics, stats and in the case of the DS sound.

Pokemon is a 3d game so you get to play there rather than 2d formats. I don't know offhand if pokemon sees you move or sees the whole world move around you (3d is odd that way and the world moving has its perks for various approaches) but either way you will want to be looking at the command that fiddles with the location ( http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm#ds3dvideo ).
Each single press will tend to step it forward in several increments until done (possibly with acceleration but I don't know there, and that is usually more for first person* anyway).
Much like in 2d you can attempt to speed these up a bit -- most will continually move until you hit a certain number and then stop (plus 2 until you reach 20 sort of thing). Change this number and things will be faster. However do the wrong number and you might clip out of the world or never stop (in the previous example adding 2 will inevitably lead to 20 which is what the game might be looking for, rather than greater than 20 which you would see if you changed it to 3 which would breeze right on by and go to 21). Alternatively if there is a timer that decides when you move there is scope there (if it say reaches 100, or counts down from then changing that will change effective speed).

*there are some first person pokemon hacks out there, most did not get more than proof of concept but could yield something here, though they might just more be the camera location.

Anyway shorter version is
You will want to find what determines your location in the world (or world's location relative to you). You can do this easily enough in an emulator with 3d viewers or memory viewers where you just move yourself around in a simple room (no trainers patrolling or loads of another animations) to see what changes.
You then want to find what is changing this value (break on write/bpw in no$gba debug is a good start).
Going backwards from there will see what controls this movement and somewhere in the maths that makes it up will be something you can tweak (either reducing the count before something happens, or making more happen each step).

DerpTaco

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't really know anything about memory viewing and I don't think I could determine what values are for movement. It would have been nice if there were tools that could change things like move speed but from your post it seems there isn't. I'll just stick with using speed up on an emulator. Thanks though!

Maq47

Lord of Pyro
Trophies
Website
idont.have.one
XP
Country
United States

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users