Pokemon Sun/Moon - unhackable?

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Francesca, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Francesca
    OP

Francesca GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    I've been trying to hack Pokemon Sun/Moon today and found an unexpected problem - decrypting a ROM of the game (.3ds file) is now impossible because the file is too big. I can move a file less than 4 GB on my SD card, but it doesn't let me to do the same with the >4 GB .3ds file of the game (why did it have to be so large?).

The error I keep getting is "File is too Large for Destination File system". I tried to look up some solutions, and they either failed to work (I was interested in the ones that don't wipe out the whole SD card because I obviously have my CFW on there and re-installing everything is huge headache) or just advertised some malware by baiting with the search.

Can I decrypt the game in any other way? Sadly, I do not possess a cartridge.

2. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Just use the .cia or trim the .3ds. Sun/Moon is completely hackable and someone is already working on a hardhack
    The reason your getting that error is that fat32 can't transfer 4 GB + files.

Francesca likes this.
  3. Francesca
    OP

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    Can a .cia file be used in the D9Game folder?

I haven't decrypted anything ever since I switched from RxTools to luma, so I'm not even sure if I can access homebrew anymore.

4. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Yes the .cia can be used in the D9Game folder. If you downloaded the leak then it is already decrypted

5. Francesca
    OP

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    Wait, does that mean I extract it on my PC without doing the homebrew stuff on console?

Arubaro likes this.
  6. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    No you need to boot Decrypt9 on the console if the .cia isn't the leak. If it is the leaked .cia then it is already decrypted and can be used to start romhacking.

7. williamdabastrd

williamdabastrd GBAtemp Regular

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Ohio
    What do you mean by "hack"?

Also, to answer your question, the 4GB issue you are having is a large file size limit of FAT32 filesystems. I would reformat your SD card as exFAT, which has no such limit (obviously backing everything up first since you will lose any data on the card when this is done).

Last edited by williamdabastrd, Nov 23, 2016
  8. Francesca
    OP

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    Hmmm... I load HackingToolkit, type in 'ce' (to extract a .cia file), write in sun.cia, choose 'y', nothing extracts in the folder.

Does this mean the file isn't decrypted? There's no message or anything.

9. xtheman

xtheman GBAtemp Guru

Jan 28, 2016
    United States
    Your only suppose to write sun not sun.cia

10. Francesca
    OP

Mar 17, 2015
    Armenia
    Apparently my problem was writing CE instead of cia (I had an older version of PackHack). Thanks for helping out, I've got things extracted now.